Subject for WAN show? - EA app fully broken, thousands of players can't play their games

Normand_Nadon

There are posts popping everywhere, from Reddit, to Twitter, to EA's own help forums, about user that can't play their games with the trash launcher that is EA App.

Now, this launcher was enforced and the older (and working) Origin Launcher cannot be used anymore.

Symptoms range from: Not being able to connect, getting stuck in boot loops, getting auto-banned for no reason (and not being able to appeal), loosing entire games catalog.

People are complaining and inquiring on the subject everywhere, but EA ignores or bans them. They refuse to step back and let users use the Origin Launcher until the EA App gets fixed.

Users don't want the EA App for other reasons: Offline mode is impossible now with the EA App... You can't play EA games unless you are online.

There are users starting to prepare legal actions against EA (class-action suit), and they are still ignoring everyone! (or sending support request to the EA Help forum, where they don't respond and let requests die-off)

Sources (news outlets):

https://piunikaweb.com/2023/03/17/bug-riddled-ea-app-leaves-players-concerned-over-origin-shutdown/

Bug-riddled EA app leaves players concerned over possibility of Origin shutdown
[...]

For years, Origin has been the official launcher and store of EA. But in October 2022, they launched EA app as their new launcher that will replace Origin.
That said, players are concerned about the future of Origin and the potential shutdown of the launcher as the EA app’s current state is far from ideal due to bugs and other issues.

The EA app is currently full of bugs and issues

Since its release, the glitches have been somewhat constant in the EA app. Players have reported all kinds of problems while trying to enjoy their games.

Sadly, months later, the situation does not seem to have changed. Currently, new reports of problems with Origin’s successor continue to emerge constantly.

https://piunikaweb.com/2023/03/17/the-sims-4-growing-together-not-downloading-starting-or-missing-on-ea-app/

The Sims 4 ‘Growing Together’ not downloading, starting or missing on EA app

By now, it’s no secret among the PC gaming community just how buggy and problematic EA App can be. Last year, we covered player concerns about the EA App poor performance near the Origin shutdown.

Sadly, the situation doesn’t seem to have improved at all since then. In fact, it seems the problems are worse because the EA App is now a mandatory requirement to play some major games, like The Sims 4.

This means that those who purchased The Sims 4 through Origin can no longer use that client. Both the game boot and purchase/download of DLCs/expansions must be through the EA App.

That said, The Sims 4 ‘Growing Together’ has been available to everyone for a few hours now. However, downloading or running the expansion through the current EA client is being a real nightmare.

[...]

Part of the player community suggests that EA should reverse the decision to force EA App use for such important games. After all, in the current client status, these issues will continue to occur with each update.

In the same article, some user's quotes:

I bought it and I can’t see it in my library. I cannot download it. The ea app suggest to buy it again… 🤬

Sources (user reports):

https://answers.ea.com/t5/EA-app/ct-p/ea-app-en
https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/Why-am-I-getting-forced-to-install-EA-App/m-p/12120907#M4476

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Feedback/quot-EA-quot-Launcher-is-just-the-most-terrible-launcher-I-have/m-p/12139164#M1378

https://www.reddit.com/r/EAApp/comments/11rlffd/banned_account/

https://www.reddit.com/r/EAApp/comments/11sffeq/red_alert_2_wont_launch_on_ea_app/

https://twitter.com/EAHelp/status/1630414697601155072

I just want to play "It takes Two" with my son... I can't because EA screwed-up and won't fix!

If it has been done before, I can do it...

If it has never been done, just leave me some time to find a way!

Had the EA App installed and was playing BF2042. Time to uninstall it until the problem gets fixed I guess. 

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | AsRock B450M-Pro4 | Zotac GTX 3070 Ti

Shure SRH840A | Sennheiser Momentum 2 AEBT | LG C9 55"

3 hours ago, mononymous said:

Had the EA App installed and was playing BF2042. Time to uninstall it until the problem gets fixed I guess. 

Noooooo!

If it works for you, don't touch it!

Unless you can play without the launcher? I doubt it!

Imangine trying to produce (publish but they do have a lot of control over development) games if you cant even get a simple app right. I've had countless issues with the transition from Origin to EA app. I still get a little irate whenever I have to use that damned thing. I've stopped installing EA games from Xbox Gamepass due to the fact that it uses tha app and 8/10 times it doesn't work.

EA kills another thing that worked? Oh no... Anyways.

P.S.: still mad they closed Westwood and Pandemic. 

On 3/17/2023 at 11:21 AM, Normand_Nadon said:

Noooooo!

If it works for you, don't touch it!

Unless you can play without the launcher? I doubt it!

I recently got 2042 via Steam and it seems a 50/50 if the EA app allows you to boot the game or not so even if it works now it might still break the next time you need to open the app.

What I dislike the most of this transition, is the way EA forces you to move to their broken EA App.

Your origin launcher working fine? Here is an ad for our new app that you cannot close or skip, that prevents you from interacting with settings or your games. Reinstalling origin or trying to use an older version? Nope, EA has hidden a flag/program that splashes the same ad on your screen.

I can understand depreciating old software and not providing support, but surely making a working program non-functional is a dick move.

On 3/21/2023 at 4:00 PM, ouroesa said:

if you cant even get a simple app right

I get the frustration, but I wouldn't say it's a simple app. I'm sure there's anti piracy (and anti cheat?) complexity built in. It's gotta enforce DRM and all.

On 3/25/2023 at 12:53 PM, Antrikshy said:

I get the frustration, but I wouldn't say it's a simple app. I'm sure there's anti piracy (and anti cheat?) complexity built in. It's gotta enforce DRM and all.

Does piracy etc not get checked in game more than in launcher? I'm, sure the launcher does some rudemanetary checks to see if the account owns the game but not too sure about the rest of it. 
Some games even has their own launcher (Gaijin games, EFT, LOL etc) which does work okay. Not sure why these big players such as EA and Epic makes these horrible launchers. 

Has EA even made something even remotely fully working in the past few years? Shouldn't be much of a surprise if their new launcher is garbage...

Atleast the login is finally good, just click steam icon and it logs in 🙂

On 3/24/2023 at 10:23 PM, Antrikshy said:

Anti-cheat is a per-game thing...

Launchers are just telemetry garbage things...

honestly the only newsworthy thing about this would be a deep analysis how and why people still buy EA .otherwise you get what you pay for isn't really newsworthy imo, everyone should know that already. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

This says all i need to know about what kind of dev team EA has:

Spoiler

origin.jpg

7 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

honestly the only newsworthy thing about this would be a deep analysis how and why people still buy EA .otherwise you get what you pay for isn't really newsworthy imo, everyone should know that already. 

They have some really fun collaboration games... "It takes two" being one...

4 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

This says all i need to know about what kind of dev team EA has:

Hide contents

I would not blame the devs for poor management decisions!

2 minutes ago, Normand_Nadon said:

They have some really fun collaboration games... "It takes two" being one...

this is not a good explanation though why people support extremely exploratory businesses models, probably something about FOMO has more to do with it.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

15 hours ago, Normand_Nadon said:

I would not blame the devs for poor management decisions!

Look at the image, leaving a breakpoints in a production release tells a lot.....