OS to SSD without losing anything?

Hello :3

I was thinking about buying a 'Kingston 60GB SSDNow V+200' to use to boot my OS for my pc. I'm currently booting Windows 8 from my 500gb Seagate Barracuda and was wondering if I could literally shift my Windows 8 OS to my SSD without losing all my programs and files from my hard drive. If so, how? And it is worth the hassle? Please and thank you very much!

I use Acronis, have to make first a disc image then restore that image in the new disc, so basically you need 3 discs to make this work.  But it has worked fine every time I used it, just have to activate windows again after is done because of the hardware changes.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

I use Acronis, have to make first a disc image then restore that image in the new disc, so basically you need 3 discs to make this work.  But it has worked fine every time I used it, just have to activate windows again after is done because of the hardware changes.

But can he do that if he's moving from 500GB to 60GB tho?

Moved to storage solutions. :)

There should be free cloning software available.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

But can he do that if he's moving from 500GB to 60GB tho?

As long as he is not filling more than 60GB in that 500 GB disc, yes,  the image of the discs only store the space with actual data in the disc.  Acronis lets you copy a image in any disc size as long as the space used by the files fits.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

As long as he is not filling more than 60GB in that 500 GB disc, yes,  the image of the discs only store the space with actual data in the disc.  Acronis lets you copy a image in any disc size as long as the space used by the files fits.

But the chances that he'll fit a whole system drive with programs and files onto 60GB are pretty slim, won't you agree?

I guess that's for him to figure out