Intel designs an improved 12VHPWR Plug Connector

DuckDodgers
13 hours ago, Kisai said:

Now you're just being pandentic.

There are solutions, none of them are going to happen because manufacturers would rather save 2 cents per connector than ensure they don't get 1000 RMA's a week.

Cost cutting does happen but it's with the intent that RMAs won't happen within the warranty period, or that it won't turn into a fire hazard. The manufacturer, regardless of engineering effort, is taking a risk that this cost cutting will not result in RMAs because they cost a lot of money. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

9 minutes ago, starsmine said:

lmao what. RMAs are some of the most expensive things for an OEM. Pay double shipping and force you to use actual man hours on a problem that is a one off? You practically lose your shirt and all the profit of 10 new sales. 

Some manufacturers make the customer pay for shipping, and the manufacturer will pay to ship the new or repaired product back. Seagate is one manufacturer with this policy. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

19 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

Not at all. It's exactly the opposite.

RMAs and any other form of costumer support are a waste of money (from a business perspective). You want to ship a product and never deal with it again. That's the "optimal" solution.

11 hours ago, starsmine said:

lmao what. RMAs are some of the most expensive things for an OEM. Pay double shipping and force you to use actual man hours on a problem that is a one off? You practically lose your shirt and all the profit of 10 new sales. 

10 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Cost cutting does happen but it's with the intent that RMAs won't happen within the warranty period, or that it won't turn into a fire hazard. The manufacturer, regardless of engineering effort, is taking a risk that this cost cutting will not result in RMAs because they cost a lot of money. 

You all missed the point. This connector ensures that there will be multiple RMA's with some users, and potentially on only the most expensive parts (eg x80/x90) ones because those are the only ones pulling enough current to trigger the connector melting.

Prior to this connector, the worst problem came from people using splitters with thin wires. An externality. Now this connector itself has connectors with known problems that nvidia and the greater tech community know about. That has an effect of people choosing not to buy these products until the "poison" products are no longer in the supply chain.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/1660311/dont-worry-you-dont-have-to-switch-out-your-current-psu-or-connector.html

“Crimp Contacts inside of the cable plug are recommended to use the 4 Spring design instead of 3 dimple design (as shown in below figure) which will increase the contact area for electrical current flow inside the 12VHPWR connector and reduce the temperature rise of each contact,” the updated ATX 3.01 spec reads.

So, now we have to read reviews of all cards using 12VHPWR to see if they're using the dimple design and avoid it, or super-glue those connectors down.

5 hours ago, Kisai said:

So, now we have to read reviews of all cards using 12VHPWR to see if they're using the dimple design and avoid it, or super-glue those connectors down.

It has nothing to do with the graphics card. The 12VHPWR connector with the dimples or springs is part of the cable and you can use whatever cable you want. The 4x PCIe to 12VHPWR adapter is a temporary workaround that will disappear in the near future. If anything you have to read power supply reviews to know the type of 12VHPWR connector used.