Shipping to Europe costs?

MantasM

Hey everyone. Decided to bite the bullet and order backpack, but then... 68Eur to Lithuania landed me back to dirt. Any chance shipping costs will get lower any time soon?

Unfortuantly, the backpack just isn't purchasable for people in Europe. I'd love to order one but here in the UK there is $50 shipping and $50 tax, taking the full price to $349.98. Add on to that the pound ain't worth sh*t at the moment and the end cost is £291. I just can't justify spending that on a backpack.

Even worse, there is basically no chance of that ever decreasing unless LTT open a warehouse in europe but that would cost alot to run and organise and would drive up prices anyway.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

Ouch, forgot about import tax. Will have to find a friend in US willing to do a favor then. Thanks guys

52 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Wait when you realize you have to pay the import and VAT as well 😄 The shipping is the chepest part about buying from US or Canada.

In my experience, at least the VAT is usually handled by Creator Warehouse via OSS already. At least that's the case when buying from Germany.

That being said, sometimes customs is a d*** and will bill you for VAT again, though in that case you can contact CW support with a photo (or scan) of the customs bill and they will refund the VAT.

In any case, customs fees will apply and drive up prices nonetheless. 

2 hours ago, MantasM said:

Hey everyone. Decided to bite the bullet and order backpack, but then... 68Eur to Lithuania landed me back to dirt. Any chance shipping costs will get lower any time soon?

Uhm, no.  Shipping costs are from the shipper, and they don't fluctuate that much if ever.

What about the backpack is so amazing that you would contemplate that much money for it?  Curious, because I lack the ability to place value on pseudo celebrity stuff.   The features and build quality are not at a level to justify the full spend.

Honestly looking for an understanding. If it's just "cuz I love LTT and huge fanboy!!!111!111!!!" then I can get behind that I guess.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

1 hour ago, Dedayog said:

What about the backpack is so amazing that you would contemplate that much money for it?

For me it was a combination of reasons, really.

I was in the market for a nice quality tech backpack anyway, as I didn't own even a cheap notebook carrying bag and with return to office on the horizon didn't want to go on carrying my work laptop in some cotton shopping bag like before and didn't want to buy a new bag every few years. The LTT backpack has quite a few features I really enjoy, like the IMO well thought-out layout for example. I also dig the bottom taper of the different compartments, a dedicated place with a snug fit for my water bottle and screwdriver are a huge plus in my book as well. On top of that the color scheme makes it easy to locate stuff inside, even in dim lighting, which is something I didn't even think about beforehand, but I really wouldn't want to miss it now that I have experienced it. It's my only backpack and I'm carrying it pretty much everywhere I go, the wear comfort ist outstanding, though the Luggage strap can get uncomfortable in the passport compartment if it isn't folded exactly right. I'm confident it will last me a long time, which is a HUGE deal for me as I'm quite averse to buying shit-tier quality stuff just to replace it in the near future, that's just a waste of material and workforce IMHO.

Also, of course, supporting LTT and Creator Warehouse was a point in my decision as well.

Is it the best bang for your buck tech backpack? No, not by a long shot. But it's good enough to justify the spend under the right conditions.

And honestly, it's not really any different for me going the other way. It's exceedingly rare that it would ever make sense for me to order something from Europe, and have it sent here to Canada. It may be even worse the other way to you guys, but it's definitely non-trivial coming this way too. Shipping and exchange rates just often suck.

Made a post about the cost of getting into the EU (Sweden) – prepare to pay about 180% of the price on store.

Really good backpack though. I do not regret buying it.

don't say banana

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday I was about pull the trigger and make a purchase: Tech Sack, Screwdriver and water bottle. The cart on its own was 159.97USD but once I hit the checkout, the total cost went up to 221.76USD - shipping (with taxes) to either Poland or Ireland. This way too much that I'm willing to spend on that kind of items.

13 hours ago, ffffrozen said:

Yesterday I was about pull the trigger and make a purchase: Tech Sack, Screwdriver and water bottle. The cart on its own was 159.97USD but once I hit the checkout, the total cost went up to 221.76USD - shipping (with taxes) to either Poland or Ireland. This way too much that I'm willing to spend on that kind of items.

Understandable, but a good portion of that is VAT for the country. 

image.png.9aad2e8a28e325e2a5d90992a7754d4d.png

Here is the breakdown shipping to my country(Denmark) where VAT is 25% I'm just happy that IOSS works now. at least it did when I got my screwdriver, so I didn't have any problems with customs & extra fees from that. 

I got some other stuff I want from the store, my plan is to order in bulk. seems to be the ideal way to do it.

High chance of message being edited, mostly to add clarification or fix typos.

21 minutes ago, Razercake said:

where VAT is 25%

This is just absolute bananas and should not exist. It's a fucking quarter of every purchase made. Come on.

47 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

This is just absolute bananas and should not exist. It's a fucking quarter of every purchase made. Come on.

I mean if it didn't exist, importing items would not contribute to the countries economy. there is a reason taxes are a thing, 25% might be high sure. but with free dental till ur 18(changed to 21 now), free HealthCare, aid for expensive medicine(couldn't afford this on my own), free education & a lot of other stuff. I ain't complaining about taxes.

I know it isn't "free" since its paid by taxes, but hopefully you know what I mean.

2 hours ago, Razercake said:

I mean if it didn't exist, importing items would not contribute to the countries economy. there is a reason taxes are a thing, 25% might be high sure. but with free dental till ur 18(changed to 21 now), free HealthCare, aid for expensive medicine(couldn't afford this on my own), free education & a lot of other stuff. I ain't complaining about taxes.

I know it isn't "free" since its paid by taxes, but hopefully you know what I mean.

I‘m not talking about imports being tax free but VAT rates in general, which are simply out of control in some European countries.

I also agreee that those public services should be paid by taxes, but IMHO there are better sources than adding a quarter to every purchase that everyone makes, and there are enough examples of countries that manage with less than 25%.

One example would be Germany with its 19% and a quite substantial spectrum of social and welfare services.

1 hour ago, Dracarris said:

I‘m not talking about imports being tax free but VAT rates in general, which are simply out of control in some European countries.

I also agreee that those public services should be paid by taxes, but IMHO there are better sources than adding a quarter to every purchase that everyone makes, and there are enough examples of countries that manage with less than 25%.

One example would be Germany with its 19% and a quite substantial spectrum of social and welfare services.

I have friends in Germany & I can tell you it isn't as good as what we got here in terms of welfare services. a lot of items have a 25% tax on them so the same applies to items being imported. you could most likely find better ways to get that money, but overall I'm happy with what we got & 25% for all the perks is an easy pill to swallow (for me at least).

1200px-EU_VAT_Tax_Rates.webp.png
we are pretty inline with our Scandinavian bros & to be fair, with my ADHD & ASD. I've gotten a lot of use out of the welfare in this country & continue to do so, so I am really biased.

10 hours ago, Razercake said:

I got some other stuff I want from the store, my plan is to order in bulk. seems to be the ideal way to do it.

The ideal way of doing it, would be LTT Store opening a branch within EU given the size of the its operations, or at least to partnering with some reputable shop or other company based in EU to cater for European shipping. As of now, I'm getting a Wera Kartform screwdriver.

6 minutes ago, ffffrozen said:

The ideal way of doing it, would be LTT Store opening a branch within EU given the size of the its operations, or at least to partnering with some reputable shop or other company based in EU to cater for European shipping. As of now, I'm getting a Wera Kartform screwdriver.

I'm not talking about their ideal way of doing it, I'm talking about mine from the options I currently have available. of course it would be better, but I doubt it would decrease the shipping costs by much & the VAT would still be there. + increased costs of having a 2nd warehouse in the EU for stock, partnering with a reputable shop does sound like an interesting idea though.

9 hours ago, ffffrozen said:

I agree. To be honest, the shipping cost and taxes do not bother me, as much as the excruciatingly long shipping time and the inaccurate information provided by support. Inaccurate info, which got me really angry. Had I known it would take so much time from the get go or at least after support got back to me, I would have been at ease. I did get the screwdriver. I can tell you, it's the best ratcheting screwdriver I ever owned and used. It's a premium product, worth every penny as far as I consider, including the shipping cost and taxes. I live in Eastern Europe and I payed a total of $105 U.S. for the screwdriver, including shipping and taxes. I also own and use the Wera Kraftform Kompakt ratcheting screwdriver, which I bought from Germany for around 55 euro, including shipping. My main complaint is, that the shaft is extremely wiggly. In the locked position, it moves left right and it feels like a cheap product, not worth the price. For instance, I also have a Stanley ratcheting screwdriver, which I bought for like 10 euro and the shaft tolerances are much tighter compared to the Wera. Again, I have to reiterate, that no screwdriver I ever used comes even close to the quality and feel of the LTT screwdriver. Don't get me wrong, the Wera Kraftform is a good screwdriver. It's robust and comfortable to use. The shaft being hexagonal, allows you to use a small wrench, to apply more torque if need be. But again, for it's price (close to the LTT screwdriver price), I definitely expected better quality. The LTT screwdriver has been a pleasure to work with. It's the perfect compliment for my other tools/screwdrivers. For me, it is the best ratcheting screwdriver I ever owned and used. I highly recommend it to anyone, it's fit for both professional work (specific tasks) and diy stuff. I don't expect it to last a lifetime, because nothing really does in the end but for me, it already payed itself off. For more information I recommend Project Farm's and Jeff Geerling's screwdriver reviews. They both include the LTT and the Wera ratcheting screwdrivers.

3 hours ago, Alex T88 said:

Don't get me wrong, the Wera Kraftform is a good screwdriver. It's robust and comfortable to use. The shaft being hexagonal, allows you to use a small wrench, to apply more torque if need be. But again, for it's price (close to the LTT screwdriver price), I definitely expected better quality. The LTT screwdriver has been a pleasure to work with.

I don't doubt the quality of the screwdriver given the opinion of folks who bought them. On the other hand, I got my Wera for 25EUR (down from  over 50).

30 minutes ago, ffffrozen said:

I don't doubt the quality of the screwdriver given the opinion of folks who bought them. On the other hand, I got my Wera for 25EUR (down from  over 50).

25 euro is a very good price for it! I would have also bought it on the spot, had I not already owned one. Use it in good health !

international shipping is just expensive. i've seen backpack-sized boxes quoted up in the triple digits for shipping costs.

i've been eyeing a particular keycap set from a company in the US, but the shipping (on a keycap set that basicly fits in a padded envelope) is 85 bucks. and that's before the headache of international shipping.

so, as unfortunate as it is, buying LTTstore stuff isnt really viable for europeans. same way, theoretically setting up a distribution center in the EU would be as expensive (or likely more expensive) per item as the shipping.

i'd like an LTT backpack, but it's just not gonna happen. this is a fairly good 'name-brand' backpack though. i have the "horizontal laptop bag" version of it, and it's been my luggage for when i visit family over the weekend, replacing my old laptop bag and backpack. the only downside is that the laptop portion really isnt as padded as it should be.

https://www.thule.com/en-be/backpacks/laptop-backpacks/thule-crossover-2-backpack-30l-_-3203835

for fans of the screwdriver, while not a "feature-complete" alternative, both wera and PB swiss are (relatively, including shipping) much more affordable on this side of the pond. 

I don't really get the uproar about the taxes?

Muricans are used to see net prices and europeans usually see gross prices. If this was on a German shelf it would have a sticker price of 299€ (250*1.19=298).

You have to decide if it's worth it to you, but don't complain about the taxes. Price tags work differently around the world.

(I know some people have to pay taxes twice, but they get them refunded from lttstore.com if this happens, that's not creator warehouses fault, tho)

8 hours ago, helgehelge123 said:

Muricans are used to see net prices and europeans usually see gross prices. If this was on a German shelf it would have a sticker price of 299€ (250*1.19=298).

You have to decide if it's worth it to you, but don't complain about the taxes. Price tags work differently around the world.

(I know some people have to pay taxes twice, but they get them refunded from lttstore.com if this happens, that's not creator warehouses fault, tho)

A factor could also be when your used to seeing the total price in EU, seeing the extra tax dropped on top when ordering makes it seem excessive. might be more psychological like pricing things at 99.99. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ even though the difference might be minimal it still feels substantial.

pure speculation though, don't have any sources to back that up.

Edited by Razercake
added disclaimer

18 hours ago, helgehelge123 said:

I think anyone has the right to complain about a 25% surcharge of any type. It's massive. I'm not some anti tax guy, but that's a ludicrous amount to me. And I'm from Ontario, Canada where I've always been under the impression we're quite heavily taxed compared to much of North America, as I understand it.

18 hours ago, helgehelge123 said:

Man, I miss the days when Amazon didn't charge sales tax.  It's only 6% here but still, it was nice.

And yes, I know I was supposed to report all of that on my taxes and I might have done that, allegedly.