Shipping to Europe costs?

MantasM
On 3/27/2023 at 11:06 AM, Razercake said:

A factor could also be when your used to seeing the total price in EU, seeing the extra tax dropped on top when ordering makes it seem excessive. might be more psychological like pricing things at 99.99. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ even though the difference might be minimal it still feels substantial.

Honestly, I had to get used to it aswell. Living in Germany I was confused when I had to pay "additional" taxes on my first LTT order but it makes sense. I don't like it either but you gotta pay taxes (let's ignore @Eriochlast post, please 😄 ). 

On 3/27/2023 at 3:08 PM, Holmes108 said:

I think anyone has the right to complain about a 25% surcharge of any type. It's massive. I'm not some anti tax guy, but that's a ludicrous amount to me. And I'm from Ontario, Canada where I've always been under the impression we're quite heavily taxed compared to much of North America, as I understand it.

The only surcharge is shipping, tho and they're shipping a full sized backpack through the world. And they're not making money on shipping, I've tried it just now, shipping a backpack sized parcel from Germany to Canada with 14-28 day delivery is 55€. 
The Tax is not a surcharge, it's tax you gotta pay anyways, if you buy someting in store or online, doesn't matter.

9 minutes ago, helgehelge123 said:

(let's ignore @Eriochlast post, please 😄 ). 

Amazon has been automatically collecting these for years now so I'm good.  

Sales tax here is a mishmash of laws and regions.  Some states don't have a sales tax at all.  Some cities have a sales tax.  Some areas in the same city have different sales tax amounts.  I often wish we just had one "VAT" type tax that covered everything (except groceries, etc).  BTW, we have to pay sales tax on groceries where I live.

Just now, Erioch said:

I often wish we just had one "VAT" type tax that covered everything (except groceries, etc).  BTW, we have to pay sales tax on groceries where I live.

That's kinda how it works in Germany. 7% tax for essential things like groceries, newspapers and don't ask me why, Hotels, and 19% on everything else. 
Only a few things are taxed higher, like tobacco and fuel but it's mostly 19%.

1 hour ago, helgehelge123 said:

Honestly, I had to get used to it aswell. Living in Germany I was confused when I had to pay "additional" taxes on my first LTT order but it makes sense. I don't like it either but you gotta pay taxes (let's ignore @Eriochlast post, please 😄 ). 

The only surcharge is shipping, tho and they're shipping a full sized backpack through the world. And they're not making money on shipping, I've tried it just now, shipping a backpack sized parcel from Germany to Canada with 14-28 day delivery is 55€. 
The Tax is not a surcharge, it's tax you gotta pay anyways, if you buy someting in store or online, doesn't matter.

I'm not concerned about the semantics or labels of the charge. 25% is too much tax, period.

(Edit: it should go without saying, but nothing goes without saying these days, so: "In my humble opinion")

20 hours ago, Holmes108 said:

I'm not concerned about the semantics or labels of the charge. 25% is too much tax, period.

I'm sorry, I though this was some sort of "attack" against LMG.
Well, In my Humble opinion =D it depends on many factors. If you can spent 75% net of your income, tha's realy good but if you already pay income tax and still gotta pay 25% vat, that's a "ripoff". 

1 hour ago, helgehelge123 said:

I'm sorry, I though this was some sort of "attack" against LMG.
Well, In my Humble opinion =D it depends on many factors. If you can spent 75% net of your income, tha's realy good but if you already pay income tax and still gotta pay 25% vat, that's a "ripoff". 

Oh, no. I don't blame LMG at all for this stuff. (There was a small side conversation about tax earlier). Although I haven't done a dollar for dollar comparison, I know getting things shipped from Europe to here rarely makes sense too, so I don't usually even bother shopping over there. It's just the state of the (shipping) world unfortunately. I can hardly afford to ship a box within Canada lol.

Edit: I realize I just switched to bitching about Shipping vs tax, but really I'm happy to bitch about shipping, taxes, duty and all prices in general these days lol.

2 hours ago, Holmes108 said:

Edit: I realize I just switched to bitching about Shipping vs tax, but really I'm happy to bitch about shipping, taxes, duty and all prices in general these days lol.

I fully understand =)
tomorrow is my last day at Lidl, one of the largest grocery stores here and I've held up 4 Years as a shift manager with loads of responsibility given from the top level.
We had to print and change too many price tags over the last 13 months. Usually about 3-10 tags a day and for a while we had 100 prices that went up significantly each day. I hated it. Was increadibly depressing and not only did I have to change these tags but I also got a lot of blame from some customers, who thought I personally pull these prices out my bottom.

Sorry for taking this further off topic =(

57 minutes ago, helgehelge123 said:

I fully understand =)
tomorrow is my last day at Lidl, one of the largest grocery stores here and I've held up 4 Years as a shift manager with loads of responsibility given from the top level.
We had to print and change too many price tags over the last 13 months. Usually about 3-10 tags a day and for a while we had 100 prices that went up significantly each day. I hated it. Was increadibly depressing and not only did I have to change these tags but I also got a lot of blame from some customers, who thought I personally pull these prices out my bottom.

Sorry for taking this further off topic =(

Oh damn. Yeah, we all know grocery prices are high, but I can imagine having to have it in your face like that, day after day.

I got a refund on the VAT/Import Tax because it was basically paid twice due to the way things work in Canada I guess? Not sure if that's still a thing.

Though honestly for what the Backpack is there are better options for the same or less in Europe when you consider shipping and taxes.

I did get mine, but I can tell that next time I'm getting a backpack I'll get one somewhere else. Not that the backpack is bad, it's just not price competitive in Europe.