Upgrading from 3080 to 4080/4090 concerns.

Ashino

Hello, I've been getting a lot of trouble lately with my 3080 where a lot of the new games (even some of the older ones like call of duty) would constantly stutter no matter what I did. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the fact that my 3080 is the 10gb version and that amount of vram simply isn't enough anymore it seems especially at 1440p. I was really hoping to wait at least until the 50 series cards come out to upgrade, but the performance right now is so bad already that there is no point waiting 2 years. Some of the games that stutter heavily or get a lot of frame drops are basically all the new ones like Dead Space, Hogwarts Legacy, and Returnal. I feel like now I have to upgrade, but there are a bunch of concerns I have that I'm hoping you guys could help me address.

1- I have a Corsair HX1200w PSU and that's just a 2.0 PSU so I would have to use an adapter, however I heard that Corsair made their own 12vhpwr cable and I need to know EXACTLY which cable I need to get for my particular PSU because there are multiple versions of that cable, do I have to get type 4? if possible just give me the name of the cable i'm suppose to get.

2- GPU clearance in terms of length is not a problem, my problem is with GPU height because i'm trying to make sure that I have at least 35mm before any kind of bend on the cable to avoid any problems. I would like to know which 4080 would be small enough in height that would allow me to do that with my case? I have a Corsair icue 5000x case

3- Are there any risks of using a 2.0 PSU or do I really really have to get a 3.0 PSU? my problem is, not only do I have one of these HX 1200W PSUs but I have two of them since I had one in my other PC so getting another PSU just because its 3.0 feels like a terrible waste.

Full specs:

i7 12700k no OC

MSI RTX 3080 10gb

Corsair HX12000w PSU

Corsair Icue 5000x case

CORSAIR DDR5 32GB

2 minutes ago, Ashino said:

Hello, I've been getting a lot of trouble lately with my 3080 where a lot of the new games (even some of the older ones like call of duty) would constantly stutter no matter what I did. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the fact that my 3080 is the 10gb version and that amount of vram simply isn't enough anymore it seems especially at 1440p.

Did you actually monitor your VRAM usage in game to confirm this? 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, Ashino said:

Hello, I've been getting a lot of trouble lately with my 3080 where a lot of the new games (even some of the older ones like call of duty) would constantly stutter no matter what I did. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the fact that my 3080 is the 10gb version and that amount of vram simply isn't enough anymore it seems especially at 1440p. I was really hoping to wait at least until the 50 series cards come out to upgrade, but the performance right now is so bad already that there is no point waiting 2 years. Some of the games that stutter heavily are basically all the new ones like Dead Space and Hogwarts Legacy. I feel like now I have to upgrade, but there are a bunch of concerns I have that I'm hoping you guys could help me address.

1- I have a Corsair HX1200w PSU and that's just a 2.0 PSU so I would have to use an adapter, however I heard that Corsair made their own 12vhpwr cable and I need to know EXACTLY which cable I need to get for my particular PSU because there are multiple versions of that cable, do I have to get type 4? if possible just give me the name of the cable i'm suppose to get.

2- GPU clearance in terms of length is not a problem, my problem is with GPU height because i'm trying to make sure that I have at least 35mm before any kind of bend on the cable to avoid any problems, which 4080 would be small enough in height that would allow me to do that with my case? I have a Corsair icue 5000x case

3- Are there any risks of using a 2.0 PSU or do I really really have to get a 3.0 PSU? my problem is, not only do I have one of these HX 1200W PSUs but I have two of them since I had one in my other PC so getting another PSU just because its 3.0 feels like a terrible waste.

Full specs:

i7 12700k

MSI RTX 3080 10gb

Corsair HX12000w PSU

Corsair Icue 5000x case

CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 5600

There are plenty of us with older cards that don't stutter. I'd look for an actual problem rather than speculating that it is the vram.

7 minutes ago, Ashino said:

have a Corsair HX1200w PSU and that's just a 2.0 PSU so I would have to use an adapter, however I heard that Corsair made their own 12vhpwr cable and I need to know EXACTLY which cable I need to get for my particular PSU because there are multiple versions of that cable, do I have to get type 4? if possible just give me the name of the cable i'm suppose to get.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/psu-cable-compatibility

You need a type 3 or type 4 PCIE cable. 

However, I agree with the above. There likely is a configuration issue, or settings issue that is causing your stuttering. Your 3080 has more Vram than my partner's 3070 and she doesn't have any stuttering issues in Hogwarts Legacy. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 minutes ago, Ashino said:

Hello, I've been getting a lot of trouble lately with my 3080 where a lot of the new games (even some of the older ones like call of duty) would constantly stutter no matter what I did. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the fact that my 3080 is the 10gb version and that amount of vram simply isn't enough anymore it seems especially at 1440p. I was really hoping to wait at least until the 50 series cards come out to upgrade, but the performance right now is so bad already that there is no point waiting 2 years. Some of the games that stutter heavily are basically all the new ones like Dead Space, Hogwarts Legacy, and Returnal. I feel like now I have to upgrade, but there are a bunch of concerns I have that I'm hoping you guys could help me address.

2- GPU clearance in terms of length is not a problem, my problem is with GPU height because i'm trying to make sure that I have at least 35mm before any kind of bend on the cable to avoid any problems, which 4080 would be small enough in height that would allow me to do that with my case? I have a Corsair icue 5000x case

Full specs:

i7 12700k

MSI RTX 3080 10gb

Corsair HX12000w PSU

Corsair Icue 5000x case

CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 5600

I also have a 3080 10GB but don't have any stutters, I'm playing CP2077, TW Warhammer2/3, MSFS, FH4/5, performance vary and end up tanking in CP2077 RT No DLSS WQHD, but no stutters...

So maybe it's something else ??

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

44 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Did you actually monitor your VRAM usage in game to confirm this? 

Yes I do, all of the games I mentioned automatically use at least 9.2gb of vram at least, which is near max. That number fluctuates, but I don't think always being near max vram is a good thing and that's likely the reason why I have this stuttering problem in so many new games. 

2 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/psu-cable-compatibility

You need a type 3 or type 4 PCIE cable. 

However, I agree with the above. There likely is a configuration issue, or settings issue that is causing your stuttering. Your 3080 has more Vram than my partner's 3070 and she doesn't have any stuttering issues. 

Well, my stuttering issues come from triple A titles mainly. I don't have this issue with older games that use less than 9gb of vram basically the second I start the game, that's why i'm thinking this is a vram related issue.

4 minutes ago, Ashino said:

Well, my stuttering issues come from triple A titles mainly. I don't have this issue with older games that use less than 9gb of vram basically the second I start the game, that's why i'm thinking this is a vram related issue.

I meant to clarify that she doesn't stutter in Hogwarts Legacy.

You aren't by chance trying to play on Ultra and maxed settings are you? If you are, turn settings down. Does the stuttering go away?

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

23 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

I meant to clarify that she doesn't stutter in Hogwarts Legacy.

You aren't by chance trying to play on Ultra and maxed settings are you? If you are, turn settings down. Does the stuttering go away?

Turning Ray tracing off helps A LOT yes, but turning settings down on a somewhat "high end" system just feels horrible. I feel like a lot of these new games are counting on you to use DLSS/frame generation in order to run their games well with raytracing. Even if I turn off RT AND turn DLSS on, the game still gets frame drops into the high 50s. While Hogwarts Legacy doesn't really stutter as much for me, frame drop is still just as bad of a problem. Stuttering I get in games like MW2, Returnal, and dead space. 

4 minutes ago, Ashino said:

Turning Ray tracing off helps A LOT yes, but turning settings down on a somewhat "high end" system just feels horrible. I feel like a lot of these new games are counting on you to use DLSS/frame generation in order to run their games well with raytracing. Even if I turn off RT AND turn DLSS on, the game still gets frame drops into the high 50s. 

The 3080 isn't that good at RT, it tanks performance indeed at 1440p and usually unplayable at 4K with AAA titles

If you really need it that would be a good reason to upgrade to 4080/4090

However playing on High is most often not really distinguishable from Ultra and gives a nice performance boost

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

The 3080 isn't that good at RT, it tanks performance indeed at 1440p and usually unplayable at 4K with AAA titles

If you really need it that would be a good reason to upgrade to 4080/4090

However playing on High is most often not really distinguishable from Ultra and gives a nice performance boost

I think I would like to upgrade, but I'm going to wait a little while for the rumored price drop. I would like to get some of these concerns addressed for when that day comes. 

19 minutes ago, Ashino said:

Turning Ray tracing off helps A LOT yes

Well there is the problem. Ray Tracing at max setting at 1440...

HWL is a bad example as the stuttering in specific situations is evident for many people. I have a 3090 with 24GB of VRAM and in 4K Ultra with RT off usage hovers around 12GB used. Still, running around the castle and going indoors to outdoors or the first minute or so in Hogsmead the stutter is pretty bad. The other games you mentioned play perfectly smoothly and should on a 3080 as well. 

RT on is going to drastically reduce performance. 

following all of the above.

i guarantee you that if you're "struggling" with a 3080, throwing another 2000 bucks at the problem is a temporary workaround if anything.

it's not because you have a high end system, that game devs cant be ridiculous and put settings in their game you cant actually run with anything but a 2000 dollar GPU.. or even not run well with that either.

7 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

HWL is a bad example as the stuttering in specific situations is evident for many people. I have a 3090 with 24GB of VRAM and in 4K Ultra with RT off usage hovers around 12GB used. Still, running around the castle and going indoors to outdoors or the first minute or so in Hogsmead the stutter is pretty bad. The other games you mentioned play perfectly smoothly and should on a 3080 as well. 

RT on is going to drastically reduce performance. 

On a 4090 and 5950X I can change the settings until the cows come home, it barely makes any difference to the stuttering so I just leave it on Ultra RT and have to use Frame Generation to try to get a playable frame rate.  Reducing resolution, RT, settings just reduces the GPU load, doesn't improve the stuttering to any extent I can notice - just makes the none-stuttery parts of the game look worse.

I seem to have worse issues than anyone else I've seen with similar hardware and its the only game that has a problem.  Time to blame Denuvo again?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

16 minutes ago, Ashino said:

I think I would like to upgrade, but I'm going to wait a little while for the rumored price drop. I would like to get some of these concerns addressed for when that day comes. 

FWIW, you can get the 4090 to stutter in some games with maxed settings and RT. 

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

On a 4090 and 5950X I can change the settings until the cows come home, it barely makes any difference to the stuttering so I just leave it on Ultra RT and have to use Frame Generation to try to get a playable frame rate.  Reducing resolution, RT, settings just reduces the GPU load, doesn't improve the stuttering at all.

I seem to have worse issues than anyone else I've seen with similar hardware and its the only game that has a problem.  Time to blame Denuvo again?

Are you talking specifically about HWL? I'm home in a couple days and will be downloading it. I'm on a 4090 and 13900k and can see if I can get it to stutter like you, or not and see about figuring out settings. Just tag me at some point probably Friday or this weekend?

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

6 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

On a 4090 and 5950X I can change the settings until the cows come home, it barely makes any difference to the stuttering so I just leave it on Ultra RT and have to use Frame Generation to try to get a playable frame rate.  Reducing resolution, RT, settings just reduces the GPU load, doesn't improve the stuttering to any extent I can notice - just makes the none-stuttery parts of the game look worse.

5 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

FWIW, you can get the 4090 to stutter in some games with maxed settings and RT. 

Are you talking specifically about HWL? I'm home in a couple days and will be downloading it. I'm on a 4090 and 13900k and can see if I can get it to stutter like you, or not and see about figuring out settings. Just tag me at some point probably Friday or this weekend?

Yeah, just HWL. Its extremely evident in the castle as you get near a door, especially one that leads to outside. You can tell its pre-caching in the background as you approach the door and things stutter badly for me (7900x/3090/RT Off) If you give it a second it stops but its very noticeable as you're sprinting from place to place in the castle. 

I've done all the engine.ini tweaks floating around the internet but nothing has really improved it.

Frankly though, the game runs just fine 95% of the time that I don't really mind it and it hasn't affected my playthrough. 

I have a 4090 and run tuned (high with a few settings at medium and textures at ultra) hwl settings with ray tracing on at 4k.  It's usually playable, over 100fps in some instances but then it just tanks for no reason out of the blue.  I hit a spot this morning it started going seconds per frame instead of fps and I had to restart it.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

1 hour ago, Ashino said:

The moral of the story here, be smart with settings. HWL especially is poorly optimized currently. Even on other AAA games, the change from high to ultra isn't something you'll notice, but it'll tank your performance. 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, ewitte said:

I have a 4090 and run tuned hwl settings with ray tracing on at 4k.  It's usually playable, over 100fps in some instances but then it just tanks for no reason out of the blue.  I hit a spot this morning it started going seconds per frame instead of fps and I had to restart it.

I'm absolutely on the Denuvo conspiracy theory, as this is almost always how that goes as I believe the idea is it triggers at random to check your copy is legitimate and to make crackers jobs harder as they do not know when in the code its going to inject itself.

I think that is on-top of it having performance issues to start with, as seen on Series X too.  So its likely multiple performance issues on top of each other.  The particularly weird thing for me is it seems to hog a single core but not max it, with the rest mostly at 1% - so whatever is going on is not at all obvious.  I even turned off SMT and locked the game to a single CCD, makes no difference either.

Fortunately as a PC gamer for years, through most of which I could only afford low-end hardware, my tolerance for performance issues is quite high.  They still annoy me, but I don't find them game-breaking, just disappointing - especially given my hardware.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

5 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Yeah, just HWL. Its extremely evident in the castle as you get near a door, especially one that leads to outside. You can tell its pre-caching in the background as you approach the door and things stutter badly for me (7900x/3090/RT Off) If you give it a second it stops but its very noticeable as you're sprinting from place to place in the castle. 

I've done all the engine.ini tweaks floating around the internet but nothing has really improved it.

Frankly though, the game runs just fine 95% of the time that I don't really mind it and it hasn't affected my playthrough. 

HWL is a game with known issue though, going all the way to 4090 may helps to some extent but if a game is badly optimised, then it's just going to be badly optimised.

We have a known issues like the Next Gen Witcher which even the 4090 needs frame generation at 60 - and frame generation doesn't really offer you a high frame rate experience, just some visual part of it. 

I honestly don't think upgrading a card just to play a game that is poorly made (at the technical level) is wise, there's basically no gurantee even that you will not encounter any trouble still. I would say you should upgrade if you want massively more frame rate at 4k better RT performance in most games (that isn't the Witcher) - or you actually want that frame generation DLSS, but it's probably not a good idea to upgrade just for to have the new GPU solve a software problem for you because it's most likely not going.

7 minutes ago, e22big said:

HWL is a game with known issue though, going all the way to 4090 may helps to some extent but if a game is badly optimised, then it's just going to be badly optimised.

Agreed. I suggested it was a bad example earlier. Though if the user insists on Ultra setting with RT at 1440p, a jump from a 3080 10GB would be beneficial. 

6 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Agreed. I suggested it was a bad example earlier. Though if the user insists on Ultra setting with RT at 1440p, a jump from a 3080 10GB would be beneficial. 

Hmn have the same spec as you, mostly, but I honestly never have a problem with this card, and I played primarily at 4k with RT when available (and make sense, so not for multiplayer type of games)

But granted, I am not interested in HWL, and don't play the Witcher next gen just yet either. But it's going well for a newer title like Spiderman Remaster (RT+DLSS). I am very sure it's not VRAM, not at 1440p on most games - HWL is an exception (and actually Hardware Unboxed did a report on it recently, I don't think they manage to find any other titles that share the VRAM issues on HWL either)

Just now, e22big said:

Hmn have the same spec as you, mostly, but I honestly never have a problem with this card, and I played primarily at 4k with RT when available (and make sense, so not for multiplayer type of games)

But granted, I am not interested in HWL, and don't play the Witcher next gen just yet either. But it's going well for a newer title like Spiderman Remaster (RT+DLSS). I am very sure it's not VRAM, not at 1440p on most games - HWL is an exception (and actually Hardware Unboxed did a report on it recently, I don't think they manage to find any other titles that share the VRAM issues on HWL either)

Hold on this has nothing to do with me or HWL.  It’s the OP and his 3080 10GB and all the other games he mentioned. His system is not healthy, that’s for sure but for what he’s looking to do he could benefit from a faster card is my only point. If he relaxed on the max RT in everything things might be different. 

6 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Hold on this has nothing to do with me or HWL.  It’s the OP and his 3080 10GB and all the other games he mentioned. His system is not healthy, that’s for sure but for what he’s looking to do he could benefit from a faster card is my only point. If he relaxed on the max RT in everything things might be different. 

Oh - yeah, for some reason I swap your avatar with the OP lol