Do certain music platforms sound worse than others or am I crazy?

niofalpha

I've been using Spotify for 8 years, and I've always said that the audio quality was worse than YouTube for certain songs. I mentioned this to a friend recently, and he agreed. 

I tested a 5 songs (not blind, listen to a song and tell if they thought there was a noticeable difference not being regulated to volume) between the same songs on different platforms. 

I thought Spotify sounded noticeably worse than Apple Music and YouTube for several songs, but one of them I think can be attributed to the Music Video version of the songs (Castle of Glass by Linkin Park) having a different hook. I tested using my headphones (Sennheiser HD 598) and my AirPod Pros and thought the trend was similar, but for different songs.

I googled it and everything said I was wrong, that Spotify should be atleast better than YouTube. I'm curious if anyone has any similar experiences or thoughts on this.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

I am not sure about YouTube Music spesifically, but Spotify high quality (premium, have to change a setting) is higher bitrate than YouTube videos, and do sound better than YouTube Videos to me.

I can't comment on Apple Music.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

I've personally noticed and others have as well around here that Amazon Music has the best. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

if there only was a way to check the bitrates... oh wait there is ! but i honestly cant be bothered,  i don't even use spotify (like ever)

And also i think "while clearly formulated" your question is too broad... this will vary (due to many things, bitrate,  settings... eq, etc...)

But if spotify sounds worse than yt, then oh, boy,  yt is already one of the worst I've ever heard quality wise - although as per above, it depends on the specific upload obviously,  but generally lowest bitrates (under 100), terrible bass "boost" and distorted highs seems to be the norm.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

22 minutes ago, niofalpha said:

I've been using Spotify for 8 years, and I've always said that the audio quality was worse than YouTube for certain songs. I mentioned this to a friend recently, and he agreed. 

I tested a 5 songs (not blind, listen to a song and tell if they thought there was a noticeable difference not being regulated to volume) between the same songs on different platforms. 

I thought Spotify sounded noticeably worse than Apple Music and YouTube for several songs, but one of them I think can be attributed to the Music Video version of the songs (Castle of Glass by Linkin Park) having a different hook. I tested using my headphones (Sennheiser HD 598) and my AirPod Pros and thought the trend was similar, but for different songs.

I googled it and everything said I was wrong, that Spotify should be atleast better than YouTube. I'm curious if anyone has any similar experiences or thoughts on this.

If you want good quality, just get amazon music HD. I don't use it often.... most of the time I will just let spotify stream my music, but when I am sitting at my PC (like right now) listening to my very nice headphone setup, it just doesn't make sense to have nice headphones, amp and dac and not use the highest quality music you can get...

Nothin like good old 24 bit FLAC.

image.png.8f6fdc5daee4e2ba64c73246acd230bf.png

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

13 minutes ago, Mihle said:

I am not sure about YouTube Music spesifically, but Spotify high quality (premium, have to change a setting) is higher bitrate than YouTube videos, and do sound better than YouTube Videos to me.

I can't comment on Apple Music.

yt music uses the opus codec which is very very good. it may be a lower bitrate than spotify, but the quality is very high.

Opus pretty much outperforms every streaming / compression oriented codec outright.

http://listening-test.coresv.net/results.htm

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

The Apple Music library is like 100% lossless.

IMG_6923.thumb.PNG.830609d07ded51bc8105b2ed8a62c229.PNG

The most compressed audio option is Apples 256kps. This used to be the standard when purchasing music from iTunes. Lossless starts (and is the only one usable by Mobile apple devices without external equipment) is 24Bit/48 KHz. The Hi-Res Lossless option goes up to 192 KHz but you need an external DAC/AMP. There might be a MacBook Pro now that can play the highest end option out of the box.

In this regard, Apple Music offers the best sounding tracks out of all streaming music services except Tidal. Apple Music also has a bigger library than Amazon Music or Spotify.

Oh and Apple Music has Dolby Atmos/Spatial audio which is a pretty big win imo. Not all tracks sound better in Atmos, but a lot do.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

yt music uses the opus codec which is very very good. it may be a lower bitrate than spotify, but the quality is very high.

Opus pretty much outperforms every streaming / compression oriented codec outright.

http://listening-test.coresv.net/results.htm

As I said I did not compare to YouTube Music, I compared to YouTube Videos, I know they are different, but YouTube Videos Def sound way worse than Spotify to me (If Spotify high quality).

EDIT: I have not read that closely that link, but it seems to test around 105 kbps, it's not representative to the bitrates of what Spotify high quality, or Apple music is. (Spotify highest quality is 320 AAC I think?)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 minute ago, Mihle said:

I know they are different, but YouTube Videos Def sound way worse than Spotify to me

YouTube audio is effectively a heavily compressed MP3.

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 minutes ago, Mihle said:

As I said I did not compare to YouTube Music, I compared to YouTube Videos, I know they are different, but YouTube Videos Def sound way worse than Spotify to me (If Spotify high quality).

I guess I just don't really consider youtube to be a music streaming platform so I assumed when people said youtube it was implied to be yt music.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

For 99.9% of the human race there is no audible difference between 320 kbps MP3, 256 kbps AAC (Apple Music non-lossless, Spotify web), 320 kbps Vorbis (Spotify apps), 256 kbps Opus (YouTube Music), and lossless audio (Tidal/Deezer/Apple Music lossless/Amazon Music/etc.).

What you might be hearing are different masterings of the recording, although it's pretty uncommon for tracks to be mastered differently between services.

At the end of the day, listen to what you like best. There's no tangible difference, but if you prefer it then who cares?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

if you are talking about regular youtube then it should be worse but youtube music should be around on par with spotify. and ofc as others said theres lossless music streaming services which offer the theoretical best quality. theres also other things like different masters so maybe the youtube version of the song has a master that you like better than the one on spotify

19 hours ago, niofalpha said:

Everyone is responding with suggestions for other services, but I am wondering where and how you tested this?  

For example if you tested it on a phone with spotify was this on or off wifi? Spotify by default will lower the quality when not on wifi for example. If you want higher quality you'd need to go into the settings and set it as a preference. On the desktop there is also an option I believe to set the standard audio quality.  

I am also curious how you quantify "better", what sort of differences are you hearing basically. 

There aren't many subjects that benefit from binary takes on them in a discussion.

19 hours ago, niofalpha said:

The big problem with comparing services is what master does each service deliver many songs have different masters per streaming service. Also YouTube compression when processed can alter audio to potentially make music sound "better". While it's just technically different but most likely not "better'. But I'd it's YouTube music your comparing with it should be about the same in regards to quality but again different masters can result in different quality.