Thin and Light (MacBook-esque) with 120Hz screen (preferably matte)

Basically I've got a 2018 Razer Blade 15 that has a 144hz screen which is great. It also weighs a bit more than I'd like and I don't really game on it much anymore so I'd like to downsize to a 13-14" thin and light but retain the refresh rate. Now the newer MacBook Pros have 120hz screens which seems nice but I'm unsure how I'd do with an Apple computer, love the phones but I'm a Windows guy at heart.

My question is, are there any realistic options for an ultrabook type laptop that has a high refresh screen?

Essentially if the Razer Book had a 120hz matte screen I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I'd also consider a MacBook Air if it had a 120hz screen.

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Some Asus Zenbooks have 90/120Hz OLED panels.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I have doubts that anyone can actually notice 120Hz vs 60Hz.  16.67 ms updates vs 8.33 ms updates on a screen.  Have you run A / B tests with someone else changing the settings?  I bet you cannot reliable 9/10 tell the difference.  What are your thoughts on this?

I can barely tell the difference between 30 and 60Hz.  There is a small difference, but it doesn't in any way take away the enjoyment of watching the screen.  Rocket League allows changing the framerate, so I'm going to test with that.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

19 hours ago, E-waste said:

I have doubts that anyone can actually notice 120Hz vs 60Hz.  16.67 ms updates vs 8.33 ms updates on a screen.  Have you run A / B tests with someone else changing the settings?  I bet you cannot reliable 9/10 tell the difference.  What are your thoughts on this?

I can barely tell the difference between 30 and 60Hz.  There is a small difference, but it doesn't in any way take away the enjoyment of watching the screen.  Rocket League allows changing the framerate, so I'm going to test with that.

The 24hz thing.  Below 24hz you get “slide show” things don’t even look like they move. The faster the on screen motion the more it matters. Motion blur helps a lot.  The problem though is it makes things blurry all the time.  You must be talking about static type.  With static type 90hz only looks a bit more solid.  You don’t notice a real difference until you e been looking at the screen for a couple hours and there less damage to your eyes.  When it come to moving 3d shapes though Even I can.  I can’t notice the difference between 120&144, but below the eye speed break point it is easy. There are two known break points: 24hz and 90hz. There may be a third around 1000hz. Not sure what it does.  I’ve never even seen it.  Getting past the second one is needed for fast motion.  Especially if you don’t want to use motion blur.   Watch when people check refresh rate; they’ll get into some 3d modeled environment and spin quickly. At 60 hz if I whip around as fast as I can I get somewhere between 8 and 12 ‘edges’. It’s not realistic.  Get above 90 and that becomes really difficult.  Human brains process visual information pretty quick.  People who are trained or have talent like pro batters have unusually good speed that way.  They may even go over 144.  I’m old with shitty eyes so my number is more like 100hz but if you want to compare 30 vs 60, 30 is barely playable for 3d games.  40 is considered usable, generally, and 60 is better than that.  Above 90 is a whole new gear though. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

7 hours ago, E-waste said:

I can feel the difference between 60 and 75 on a monitor I have that supports both. And yes I've gotten "Hmm it must have reset itself to 60" a few times and it had.

Changes a lot from one person to the next so if you can't that doesn't mean others don't.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

On 2/11/2023 at 1:04 PM, saladcrack said:

Basically I've got a 2018 Razer Blade 15 that has a 144hz screen which is great. It also weighs a bit more than I'd like and I don't really game on it much anymore so I'd like to downsize to a 13-14" thin and light but retain the refresh rate. Now the newer MacBook Pros have 120hz screens which seems nice but I'm unsure how I'd do with an Apple computer, love the phones but I'm a Windows guy at heart.

My question is, are there any realistic options for an ultrabook type laptop that has a high refresh screen?

Essentially if the Razer Book had a 120hz matte screen I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I'd also consider a MacBook Air if it had a 120hz screen.

It's really just a question of the apps you want to run. You wouldn't want to get a MacBook Pro primarily with gaming in mind, but it's excellent for creative apps and general computing. You'd just have to be patient as you learn the ropes of macOS (the dock, the simpler approach to installing apps, and so forth). You might like the tighter integration with your iPhone, such as taking calls or texts from your Mac.

Some advice based on what I've seen: don't worry about getting more than the base M2 Pro CPU unless you really need extra power, and you don't need more than 16GB of RAM unless you know you'll use memory-intensive apps. But do consider getting more than the base 512GB of storage if you're eager for futureproofing or want the maximum storage speed.