windows 10 KEEPS TURNING ITSELF ON

Los Serpent

i can't figure this out it's driving me NUTS

my pc keep turning itself on randomly from a complete turn off!!

it also turns on whenever i move the mouse or press something on the keyboard

setup:

asrock h97m pro4

ddr3 12gb

2tb ssd

gtx 1060

i5 4690

fast start up is off.

there are no devices allowed to wake the pc up. 

in the bios, i disabled the options to allow the keyboard and mouse to turn the pc on

i tried all kinds of solutions after hours of googling. this can of scrap metal just keeps turning on.

Seems like you're in hibernation mode. Try disable that.

Open CMD as admin and run command

powercfg /hibernate off

Retry.

2 minutes ago, Los Serpent said:

i can't figure this out it's driving me NUTS

my pc keep turning itself on randomly from a complete turn off!!

it also turns on whenever i move the mouse or press something on the keyboard

setup:

asrock h97m pro4

ddr3 12gb

2tb ssd

gtx 1060

i5 4690

fast start up is off.

there are no devices allowed to wake the pc up. 

in the bios, i disabled the options to allow the keyboard and mouse to turn the pc on

i tried all kinds of solutions after hours of googling. this can of scrap metal just keeps turning on.

You're putting the PC to sleep mode and not shutting it down if it can be awoken with moving the mouse or pressing the keyboard. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, aDoomGuy said:

Seems like you're in hibernation mode. Try disable that.

Open CMD as admin and run command

powercfg /hibernate off

Retry.

already off

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

You're putting the PC to sleep mode and not shutting it down if it can be awoken with moving the mouse or pressing the keyboard. 

nope i'm turning it off. beside even if that was the case. i disabled waking up from keyboard input from device manager.

Just now, aDoomGuy said:

Then it's haunted.

i recently upgraded to win10.  i used to have the same issue with it randomly turning on with windows 7 and it fixed it somehow years ago. but i can't remember what i did. 

turning on from keyboard input is a new one tho

It seems that the issue might be related to a BIOS setting or a hardware malfunction. Some steps you could try to resolve the issue include:

Checking the power management settings in the BIOS to make sure they are correctly configured and there are no wake-up events scheduled.

Disconnecting all external devices and peripherals (e.g. mouse, keyboard, external hard drive, etc.) to see if one of them is causing the problem.

Performing a clean boot to eliminate software conflicts that might be causing the issue.

Updating your BIOS and other drivers to the latest versions.

Replacing the keyboard or mouse if you suspect that they might be faulty.

If all else fails, you could try resetting the CMOS or perform a full system restore.

if this does not work then you can try rolling back a windows update or a driver from nvidia etc.

3 minutes ago, Los Serpent said:

nope i'm turning it off. beside even if that was the case. i disabled waking up from keyboard input from device manager.

That's... not where you disable wake from keyboard input... 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

its from the bios not device manager @Los Serpent

6 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

it may be faulty device try isolating the device and finding out which device is the culprit.

10 minutes ago, swabro said:

it may be faulty device try isolating the device and finding out which device is the culprit.

keyboard. already tried different ones, issue persists.

also tried resetting the bios

Sounds like you need to isolate the problem through hardware examination.

Take the whole build out of the case, and setup a makeshift bench on a motherboard box. 

Only plug in the necessities.

See if the issue still persists then. 

if all else fails you can try to reset windows but you can try to enter a command on cmd as adminstrator the command is: sfc /SCANNOW

the command bassically repairs any corrupted windows files, this might take a while depending on how fast your pc is.

Definitely sounds like a hiberate or sleep issue and the machine is refusing to go along with it.
Also in the BIOS, make sure "Wake on LAN" is disabled too - If it's being pinged it will wake up, even if it's shut off regardless of the web connection type you have.

Your machine, as long as it has power to it isn't really "Off", that why for example you can plug a USB cable to charge USB devices such as a phone into it and if the board supports USB charging, it will charge it.
Power (Standby power) has to be there anyway for these functions to work. 

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

10 hours ago, swabro said:

if all else fails you can try to reset windows but you can try to enter a command on cmd as adminstrator the command is: sfc /SCANNOW

the command bassically repairs any corrupted windows files, this might take a while depending on how fast your pc is.

it's a fresh install

6 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Definitely sounds like a hiberate or sleep issue and the machine is refusing to go along with it.
Also in the BIOS, make sure "Wake on LAN" is disabled too - If it's being pinged it will wake up, even if it's shut off regardless of the web connection type you have.

Your machine, as long as it has power to it isn't really "Off", that why for example you can plug a USB cable to charge USB devices such as a phone into it and if the board supports USB charging, it will charge it.
Power (Standby power) has to be there anyway for these functions to work. 

wake on lan is disabled as well as all the other wake options

i also noticed it turns on when i plug in my corsair void wireless reciver

11 hours ago, Los Serpent said:

it's a fresh install

What do you mean?I meant you can try doing the command and then if that doesn't work you may have to do a fresh install 

11 hours ago, swabro said:

What do you mean?I meant you can try doing the command and then if that doesn't work you may have to do a fresh install 

i mean it's a fresh install, so there is no point doing that

14 hours ago, Los Serpent said:

i mean it's a fresh install, so there is no point doing that

does not mean its a fresh install does not mean its files are not corrupt some files can be corrupt, belive me it happend to me a few times doing the command won't do any harm.

type

powercfg/lastwake

in command prompt as administrator 

On 2/5/2023 at 10:52 PM, Los Serpent said:

i used to have the same issue with it randomly turning on with windows 7 and it fixed it somehow

on windows 10 it wont be so easy, but type the above command first to see what it is *currently* (hint: there will be likely more than 1 culprit but the command just shows the last, you'll most likely need to eliminate them 1 by 1)

On 2/5/2023 at 10:49 PM, aDoomGuy said:

powercfg /hibernate off

On 2/5/2023 at 11:44 PM, BiG StroOnZ said:

Sounds like you need to isolate the problem through hardware examination.

i had this exact problem (likely) its one of windows long standing,  known "bugs" , but we'll have to see what it is that its actually waking up, no need for hardware checks atm imo. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

17 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

i had this exact problem (likely) its one of windows long standing,  known "bugs" , but we'll have to see what it is that its actually waking up, no need for hardware checks atm imo. 

Maybe, but it seems he's tried many solutions, other than examining the hardware. Sounds like a short somewhere or hardware issue at this point. 

18 minutes ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Maybe, but it seems he's tried many solutions, other than examining the hardware. Sounds like a short somewhere or hardware issue at this point. 

ya, its entirely possible,  but he didn't do the first thing you should do if that happens and thats lastwake, to even know what it is! lol

And keep in mind the first result might be deceiving because there could be more - but it could also entirely be the fix right away  - i mean wouldn't surprise me if its indeed a faulty usb or some hidden bios settings

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

ya, its entirely possible,  but he didn't do the first thing you should do if that happens and thats lastwake, to even know what it is! lol

And keep in mind the first result might be deceiving because there could be more - but it could also entirely be the fix right away  - i mean wouldn't surprise me if its indeed a faulty usb or some hidden bios settings

Definitely checking out lastwake is a good suggestion.

However, it seems he's trying many software based solutions and neglecting possible hardware issues. I'm leaning towards faulty hardware somewhere. I could be wrong though, but even a short somewhere in the case can cause some weird behavior like this.