Does a AMD gpu perform as good or close to a Nvidia gpu when video editing

Jtchael

I was just wondering if a amd gpu will perform close to a Nvidia gpu when video editing if so, what are the advantages and drawbacks to getting a amd rather than a Nvidia gpu.

Thanks

I’m talking about the 6000 series and rtx3000 series by the way 

Depends on the software. Some have GPU acceleration on both, some only have CUDA acceleration which is Nvidia only, and some have no GPU acceleration at all. Look for benchmarks of your editor.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

There's no good single snswer. Some editors benefit heavily from CUDA. Some don't. Some favor OpenCL and AMD. Some don't scale at all with gpu performance beyond there being one in your system. 

It's really software dependent. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

AMD would be behind except for apple who won’t deal with Nvidia at all (and I kinda don’t blame em.  I HAD one of those laptops that they refused to make work right)  apple does a lot of arts stuff though so vendors will go to the trouble of using the AMD acceleration.  Basically what @BobVonBob said though.  What matters is what app you are using.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

the answer as illustrated by the replies is not are they equal but which would work best for the software that you want to utilise.

1st sort out the software you intend to run then look to which vendor offers you the best solutions.

Also Efficiency is something to consider if you pay the power bills...time is money but if the slight increase in time savings come with a huge rise in your electrical bill you might want better efficiency over that faster result.?

2 minutes ago, johnno23 said:

the answer as illustrated by the replies is not are they equal but which would work best for the software that you want to utilise.

1st sort out the software you intend to run then look to which vendor offers you the best solutions.

Also Efficiency is something to consider if you pay the power bills...time is money but if the slight increase in time savings come with a huge rise in your electrical bill you might want better efficiency over that faster result.?

Yup.  It’s all about cost per job or per mont per job.  People do tend to be the most expensive thing but one has to think about down time where electricity is being used but the machine isn’t earning

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Yup.  It’s all about cost per job.  People do tend to be the most expensive thing though.

So very true but I have no idea if the OP is just living at home and pays no bills or if he is someone trying to run a small business. I just think that in todays tech we subjected to so many specs about speed FPS render times etc that what makes those things possible is electricity and a power bill is often left looking from the sidelines.

As a child I remember my mother saving up the clothing to iron everything at once as the electric meter used to be a pay as you go back in the 60's and you had to drop in a shilling if it ran out

My Gaming rig can eat more power than my mothers old electrical steam iron. and yes I do pay my own electrical bills as the 60s are ancient history to the majority of people here LOL

Yeah, it depends a lot on where you live too.  In my area it’s something like 12¢ a kWh so electric cars are a gigantic win IF you can charge off your own meter.  If you got to always use public chargers it’s about the same as an economy gas car.  This is the ugly bit of old high end video cards. They may be just as fast as low end modern cards and cheaper, but you wind up making up the difference over time in the form of bigger electricity bills.  When I was a kid electricity prices were so high in Germany that showers in some hotels were coin op.

Edited by Bombastinator