Is my 13600k supposed to run this hot when rendering videos?

Go to solution Solved by Coaxialgamer,

That chip runs very hot. I am not surprised...

Hello, I recently upgraded to a 13600k and was very satisfied with the performance. Games ran noticably better and the temps seemed normal (80C max). Then I tried rendering a video of mine and all hell broke loose; my 9700k would hit around 80C while rendering while this thing would fly up to mid 90s and at peak hit 99C after about 5mins, so I got scared and cancelled the rendering. As far as I know 100C is the max safe temperature and mid 90s seems like flying very close to the sun. I wanted to know if this was normal or should I be worried? What can I do?

My specs are:

Mobo: MSI PRO Z690-A

CPU: Intel i5-13600k

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5200 CL40

GPU: MSI GAMING Z TRIO GeForce RTX 3080 10GB LHR

Case: Lancool 2 Mesh

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

TBH 99C for a bit is probably safe, but you take a performance hit. That being said, even 80C is a bit high while gaming. Can you remove the cooler and check the thermal paste application? Could be under pasted. When reinstalling it make sure all the spacers are the same, the plate is well seated, and you tighten the screws evenly (i.e. tighten each a little bit at a time until desired pressure is applied)

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

4 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Actually, you know what ... I just fixed it. I used Task Menager to limit it to 10 cores and it stays below 80C.

1 minute ago, OddOod said:

TBH 99C for a bit is probably safe, but you take a performance hit. That being said, even 80C is a bit high while gaming. Can you remove the cooler and check the thermal paste application? Could be under pasted. When reinstalling it make sure all the spacers are the same, the plate is well seated, and you tighten the screws evenly (i.e. tighten each a little bit at a time until desired pressure is applied)

Thanks for the reply but I think I just fixed it. I used Task Manager to limit Vegas Pro to 10 cores and now it stays under 80C. I'm guessing that limits rendering performance but I usually render over night while I sleep, so it doesn't matter to me.

In the bios find cpu lite mode and change to mode 5 and try again 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper