psu doesn't fit in case

bigi
Go to solution Solved by Poinkachu,
6 hours ago, bigi said:

i just wanted to know if it's safe keeping it outside the case for some days only

It is safe as long you can keep it safe. Just look at some bench test table setup where they don't even mount the PSU on the test bench. 🙂
i.e : Not putting it near something electrically conductive that can go into the PSU or the modular terminal, etc.

guys i think the psu i bought will not fit in my case, can i temporarily use it outside the case? just a few days then I'll get a new case. is that possible? i think putting it near side panel would be good so the wires reach everything

4 minutes ago, bigi said:

guys i think the psu i bought will not fit in my case, can i temporarily use it outside the case? just a few days then I'll get a new case. is that possible? i think putting it near side panel would be good so the wires reach everything

Yes you can

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

15 minutes ago, bigi said:

What case and PSU? Some are designed to be installed from within, others can slide in from the outside with a cover plate of sorts.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

please do a pc part pickers list of items.

so we can help you.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

36 minutes ago, dogwitch said:

please do a pc part pickers list of items.

so we can help you.

my pc is a prebuilt i got ~4 years ago, the motherboard is a bit old(Acer aspire TC 380)and the case is probably made for that PSU only. i will just buy a 2nd hand case soon or a cheap one

41 minutes ago, dogwitch said:

i just wanted to know if it's safe keeping it outside the case for some days only

5 minutes ago, bigi said:

my pc is a prebuilt i got ~4 years ago, the motherboard is a bit old(Acer aspire TC 380)and the case is probably made for that PSU only. i will just buy a 2nd hand case soon or a cheap one

Be sure to check that the pc manufacturer has not used proprietary connections, as then a new psu won’t work. Looking at you Dell. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

9 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Be sure to check that the pc manufacturer has not used proprietary connections, as then a new psu won’t work. Looking at you Dell. 

They sometimes also use weird motherboard stand-off locations making it impossible to put it in a standard pc case without modification.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

The ground from the PSU is actually connected to the exterior of the PSU case, thus it's connected to the case and all components that needs ground. If all goes well, you should be fine. If things go belly up, you might be screwed.

Think it was important to mention this here. There are risks.

19 minutes ago, Budget DIY said:

The ground from the PSU is actually connected to the exterior of the PSU case

Please elaborate on this part 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

4 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Please elaborate on this part 

There are 2 power wires, and a 3rd "ground" wire. If there is a malfunction, the unwanted/shorted power, should escape trough the ground. Safety things and such. (but it's magic to me, and I'm not a wizard) Not having a ground connected to the computer case, motherboard and probably also the GPU, can cause way more damage then if there was a ground.

Again, not a wizard, but as long as there is no malfunction, the ground shouldn't be required. But if things go bad, you probably wish you had it?

7 minutes ago, Budget DIY said:

There are 2 power wires, and a 3rd "ground" wire. If there is a malfunction, the unwanted/shorted power, should escape trough the ground. Safety things and such. (but it's magic to me, and I'm not a wizard) Not having a ground connected to the computer case, motherboard and probably also the GPU, can cause way more damage then if there was a ground.

Again, not a wizard, but as long as there is no malfunction, the ground shouldn't be required. But if things go bad, you probably wish you had it?

The ground cable runs in the power cord to the wall. Your house is grounded and all  electrical circuits. 

never heard of the ‘psu ground is connected to the exterior of case’. 

Was just wondering if this is different than what I mean 🙂

1 minute ago, Stormseeker9 said:

The ground cable runs in the power cord to the wall. Your house is grounded and all  electrical circuits. 

never heard of the ‘psu ground is connected to the exterior of case’. 

Was just wondering if this is different than what I mean 🙂

Have you ever opened up a PSU? The ground from the plug gets connected to the housing of the PSU. When attaching the PSU to the case, it will also ground the case. Ever looked at a mobo? It has plated rings around the screw holes. And it uses metal stand-offs. Just to ground everything. (just not 100% on GPU's, because I took them apart less often)

12 minutes ago, Budget DIY said:

Have you ever opened up a PSU? The ground from the plug gets connected to the housing of the PSU. When attaching the PSU to the case, it will also ground the case. Ever looked at a mobo? It has plated rings around the screw holes. And it uses metal stand-offs. Just to ground everything. (just not 100% on GPU's, because I took them apart less often)

Understand all that, but with my knowledge of electrician diploma, pre cursor to full fletched, the case itself is not grounded. It are the ground wires connected to the circuits which in turn are grounded via either a copper pole or other form of grounding a house. 

how the ground of the psu itself is externally connected to a case… well, I wouldn’t know how. I’ve built PC’s, never with a external grounding connector coming out of the psu. 

1 minute ago, Stormseeker9 said:

the case itself is not grounded

The case itself isn't ground. The case GETS grounded if the PSU is connected/installed propperly, and is connected to a grounded wall socket. Can't change my mind on this.

29 minutes ago, Budget DIY said:

The case itself isn't ground. The case GETS grounded if the PSU is connected/installed propperly, and is connected to a grounded wall socket. Can't change my mind on this.

The case will be grounded regardless as long as the 24 pin is connected. Case is connected to motherboard through the screws. Motherboard is connected to the PSU through 7 of the 24 pins (not to mention the EPS pins)

If it was really an issue, then case makers would not be able to sell plastic cases in USA or Canada. (Inwin alice)

3 hours ago, Budget DIY said:

Yes. That is what I’ve been saying.

6 hours ago, bigi said:

It is safe as long you can keep it safe. Just look at some bench test table setup where they don't even mount the PSU on the test bench. 🙂
i.e : Not putting it near something electrically conductive that can go into the PSU or the modular terminal, etc.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

hey y'all thanks for help, my psu fits in the case (a bit forced). although it's a non modular psu and cables are a biiiggg issue but it's alright I'll get a standard ATX case in the future