Old Thermaltake Tower 112 cooler + AM4

Hi all,

I found a Thermaltake Tower 112 while digging through boxes of my old hardware. Back in the day (~2005), this was one of the most massive coolers available. Its weight (1.2 kg - more than a NH-D15 - of pure copper) far exceeded the maximum specs of Socket 939 and Socket 775. I used it with my overclocked Opteron 144 on an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe for several years (stock 1.8 GHz, running stable at 2.8 GHz!).

I have little interest in building a retro system of that era despite the many fond memories of my old system. However, I think it could be fun to try this cooler on a modern CPU. I know it's probably not going to break any records, but it should be able to handle ~120W TDP without too much trouble.

I'm looking for ideas how to mount it to a Socket AM4 motherboard. The original bracket supports sockets 478/775/462/754/939, none of which has (as far as I know) the same hole pattern as any modern socket. I know that some manufacturers sell upgrade kits for their coolers. Do you know any that might fit this old Thermaltake cooler? Or should I just make my own bracket?

Thanks!

Radim

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

You could probably make 2 new strips of metal with the correct screw patern, and place it over the H-bracket. Clamping it down that way. Should be very easy.

I dunno. I don’t see it being that good. It’s got mass, but that’s about it.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

no volcano 9 fan... not a true tt cooler...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

no volcano 9 fan... not a true tt cooler...

Lol I had the Big Typhoon, glad it didn’t have a Volcano on it 😁

Man I would kill for that bracket right about now lol.

Do you know how hard it is to find a waterblock; let alone a regular cooler, that is compatible with S939 or 754 now?

A lot of S939 boards didn't have the four holes drilled for a AM2 and up style backplate, like my A8R32-MVP. Makes options very limited.

Hold on to the pieces of that cooler, might not seem like it but it's worth a bit to the right people.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

9 hours ago, freeagent said:

Lol I had the Big Typhoon, glad it didn’t have a Volcano on it 😁

my dad had one for his athong 64 and one point he said the stopped using it as it was too loud...

i was smart and got a p4... well he picked it out and i payed for it... but still

Thermaltake VOLCANO 9 80mm Two Ball Bearing CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

I have a couple of Molex powered TT 2K 120mm rippers lol, they are as loud or louder than my iPPC 3Ks lol.

3 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I have a couple of Molex powered TT 2K 120mm rippers lol, they are as loud or louder than my iPPC 3Ks lol.

ya they didnt last long thow as they had the oil barring... i love them as i love orange. i had a few of the 80mm fans and one ore 2 of the 120mm fans.

this is the cooler i think i did have on it i think? anyway it was all copper and could mount a 92mm fan to it but i found a way to put a 120mm on it. thats around the time i got in to pc mods and the blue led fan and one led burned out...

DSCF1622.JPG