Help: I'm having an impossible dilemma with choosing speakers

Djeunut
Go to solution Solved by Djeunut,

The Mackie CR5-X's just arrived and I'm testing them out right now.

I think they sound amazing since they recreate every sound crystal clear.

The bass is nice and punchy and the fact that you have 3 different ways of connecting them and the ability to choose between which speaker is left or right is super useful.

Thanks for your help I hope other people will find this thread helpful too. 

So I got some money from the holidays and my birthday and I was going to buy the Logitech Z906 with that money.

But after doing some research I'm having some doubts and I can't decide on what to buy.

Option nr1: Logitech Z906

Option nr2: Pioneer DJ DM-50D-BT

(or better value speakers if anyone can recommend some)

I would love to have a 5.1 surround setup in my room for gaming, watching movies or listening to music.

But I have a pretty small room so I'll never be able to turn it past 30% or I'll be deaf.

On the other hand I would like the Pioneer speakers since I like DJing in my spare time but then I won't have the 5.1 surround anymore.

I really can't decide, is there anyone able to help me out here?

Thanks in advance

5.1 isnt for listening music. Its for movies and games and only for those that support it.

The z906 is as the kids say it quite mid. Basically just a z623 in termsnof quality but with more speakers.

The pioneers are nice but a decent chunk of money and other speakers produce better or the same quality sound for equal/less money.

As always a GREAT/GOOD 2.1 setup is FAR better than a mediocre 5.1 setup.

The mackie crx 3 are a great alternative to the pioneers.

If you dont mind going use even some kef ls50's Which are AMAZING speakers can become an option. Keep in mind an amp is needed but well look at local classifieds and pick one of the 20$ amps from decent brands.

Also have a look around for used speakers. Audio stuff stays good for many decades as its basically still the same tech now that it was 50+ years ago. Managed to pick the 2 gen older version of those pioneers for 50€ and a sony amp + remote for 40€. Cheap but DAMN the noise those make

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

5.1 isnt for listening music. Its for movies and games and only for those that support it.

The z906 is as the kids say it quite mid. Basically just a z623 in termsnof quality but with more speakers.

The pioneers are nice but a decent chunk of money and other speakers produce better or the same quality sound for equal/less money.

If you dont mind going use even some kef ls50's Which are AMAZING speakers can become an option. Keep in mind an amp is needed but well look at local classifieds and pick one of the 20$ amps from decent brands.

Also have a look around for used speakers. Audio stuff stays good for many decades as its basically still the same tech now that it was 50+ years ago. Managed to pick the 2 gen older version of those pioneers for 50€ and a sony amp + remote for 40€. Cheap but DAMN the noise those make

Do you know any subwoofer I could combine with these kind of speakers for watching movies or gaming?

Just now, Djeunut said:

Do you know any subwoofer I could combine with these kind of speakers for watching movies or gaming?

Why would you need a sub?

Like these things have BASS like neighbours can get mad at you clear bass.

The sub with the logitech is to counteract the lack of having a bass speaker in their boxes as these are basically trebble and mid sound small boxes.

The pioneers, mackies and especially kefs really do not need the assistance of a sub

I own the Z906 and for the money, especially 2nd hand, where you usually can get it for half the price, it's a really good speaker set IMO. 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

38 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Wow those mackie speakers you mentioned are pretty cheap.

I'll check of I can find some even better second hand but those do look really compelling.

The kef ls50's on the other hand are way out of budget tho.

24 minutes ago, Djeunut said:

Wow those mackie speakers you mentioned are pretty cheap.

I'll check of I can find some even better second hand but those do look really compelling.

The kef ls50's on the other hand are way out of budget tho.

Yeah the kefs are lets just say wacky priced? Like I got a kit for 200 with scratched gloss and a friend of mine got almost new for 350.

As for the mackies they basically have cr3-cr8 indicating driver size. So higher number = bigger speaker = more volume possible. So basically buy what seems right for your room size.

For a livingroom the cr4/cr5s are recommended but for a normal office/bedroom cr3s are totally fine.

Also 20$ extra gets you bt. Its older bt so basically meant for music only not for watching any content due to delay

I had a listen to some Pioneer DM-40 and they were god awful. For the same amount of money ($170~) I went with some Mackie CR5's. Really good for content consumption your typical movies, games and room filling music. They even plug straight into my motherboard, no hassle.

Sub is separate but the base on these Mackies is so good I think you only might need to buy the separate sub if you go with the smaller 3/4 speakers or really consume bass heavy content.

I recommend having a look around some more. Heard Edifier is also a great entry level option. Apparently they have the most punchy base for stand alone speakers in similar price range.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

6 hours ago, jaslion said:

Yeah the kefs are lets just say wacky priced? Like I got a kit for 200 with scratched gloss and a friend of mine got almost new for 350.

As for the mackies they basically have cr3-cr8 indicating driver size. So higher number = bigger speaker = more volume possible. So basically buy what seems right for your room size.

For a livingroom the cr4/cr5s are recommended but for a normal office/bedroom cr3s are totally fine.

Also 20$ extra gets you bt. Its older bt so basically meant for music only not for watching any content due to delay

I'm probably getting monitors instead of the logitech speakers but I can't decide between the Mackie cr5-x(BT) or the Pioneer DJ DM-50D(-BT)

12 minutes ago, Djeunut said:

I'm probably getting monitors instead of the logitech speakers but I can't decide between the Mackie cr5-x(BT) or the Pioneer DJ DM-50D(-BT)

Mackie not a competition between those.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Mackie not a competition between those.

Why not?

They are the same size and about the same price.

12 minutes ago, Djeunut said:

Why not?

They are the same size and about the same price.

Mackie uses far better drivers. The pioneers are very muddy sounding.

18 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Mackie uses far better drivers. The pioneers are very muddy sounding.

So I should just buy the Mackie since they are the same price like I said before?

5 minutes ago, Djeunut said:

So I should just buy the Mackie since they are the same price like I said before?

Yes

3 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

you can probably find a pair of jbl 305p mkii for under 200 

I read the first post, WITHOUT reading your response then looked up some stuff and then pulled up a link... 

We're definitely thinking along the same lines. 
https://www.amazon.com/JBL-Professional-Next-Generation-Powered-305PMKII/dp/B077N2GQXC

MKII 305P is my first recommendation for someone that wants something simpleish and good. 
It's hard to do better than these and I thought they were decent when I listened to them at my uncle's house on Christmas (he bought them years ago). I have Polk r200 ($700) and Emotiva B1+ as reference points for "good sound" and have played both on a $1000 AVR as well as a $70 Aiyima A07 amp. 

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/jbl-lsr305p-mkii-and-control-1-pro-monitors-review.10811/

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/jbl_305pmk2/

You can fit SOOO MUCH sound in these bad boys... 

You need TWO of these FYI. Also make sure you get the appropriate cables (not too expensive $10ish???)

------

OP, if you want to build out to a 5 channel system in the future, get two passive speakers - 
JBL 530 (often on sale for $240), Polk ES15, etc. [those go low in frequency so you can probably get away without a subwoofer] If you get a subwoofer then the Emotiva B1+ is a GREAT choice as well. 
Then get an amplifier (Aiyima A07 or if you want bluetooth Fosi BT30D)
And some inexpensive speaker wire (you'd need like 10' or so - SOLID copper NOT CCA/Copper-clad-aluminum)

In the future you can get a subwoofer, AV Receiver and a pair of back channel speakers (these can be cheaper). The front speakers used for a 2 or 2.1 set up can be recycled. 

You might also want an RCA cable or an Aux to RCA cable.

----

Some notes: You can check my 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

The Mackie CR5-X's just arrived and I'm testing them out right now.

I think they sound amazing since they recreate every sound crystal clear.

The bass is nice and punchy and the fact that you have 3 different ways of connecting them and the ability to choose between which speaker is left or right is super useful.

Thanks for your help I hope other people will find this thread helpful too.