Building my parents a new PC

Budget (including currency): ~$500-600

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Chrome, maybe some light photo editing

Other details

My parents' home PC hard drive recently failed, so instead of just replacing the hard drive (since their PC is an old budget prebuilt Lenovo), I decided to build them a computer myself and see what I can do to restore data from the hard drive. Here's my current parts list I'm looking at:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/y7RrBj

They really only use this PC to pay bills, store and look at photos, watch YouTube videos, and maybe do some light photo editing.

So I'm thinking just integrated graphics, SSD boot drive, and a 2TB hard drive for storing photos and such.

This really is a bare minimum PC, it just needs to do very basic things well and be easily repairable in the case of another drive failure.

Is there anything crucial I'm missing? Or somewhere I could save them some money?

I wouldn't get more thermal paste... just use what's on the stock cooler. I would, however, get a bending correction frame from Amazon made by Thermalright. You can find it for around $14. Meh I would replace both drives with a single 1 TB SSD or NVME. I think I saw B&H photo video is selling the Intel 670p 1 TB for $50. They should really be embracing cloud storage for photos or external storage.

Also this PSU is sufficient and half the price: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Wbhj4D/thermaltake-smart-500w-80-certified-atx-power-supply-ps-spd-0500npcwus-w

You might be able to find a cheaper price for Windows if you are willing to shop around and take chances. In fact, I would download Windows 11 and install it from a USB drive without a product key. Setup your machine, make sure everything is working right, and then drop the money on an operating system to activate. Never activate before using and testing your machine first.

16 minutes ago, ggPUNX said:

Budget (including currency): ~$500-600

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Chrome, maybe some light photo editing

Other details

My parents' home PC hard drive recently failed, so instead of just replacing the hard drive (since their PC is an old budget prebuilt Lenovo), I decided to build them a computer myself and see what I can do to restore data from the hard drive. Here's my current parts list I'm looking at:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/y7RrBj

They really only use this PC to pay bills, store and look at photos, watch YouTube videos, and maybe do some light photo editing.

So I'm thinking just integrated graphics, SSD boot drive, and a 2TB hard drive for storing photos and such.

This really is a bare minimum PC, it just needs to do very basic things well and be easily repairable in the case of another drive failure.

Is there anything crucial I'm missing? Or somewhere I could save them some money?

looks good. Do the need an 2 TB drive though?

Main PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | RAM:Corsair LPX 3200 mhz (16Gb) 

Mobo:ASUS Strix B550-F Wifi | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z

Case: Sharkoon Nightshark RGB| Storage: 500 GB 970 EVO Plus 1 TB WD blue 500 GB Samsung HDD

Monitor: iiyama G-Master G2470HSU-B1 165Hz

Powersupply: Be Quiet straight Power 10 500 watt

Main Laptop

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H | RAM: Team group 16 GB 2666 mhz

GPU: RTX 2060 (MXM swappable)

Monitor: 1080p 120Hz

Storage: 2x 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (no raid)

Second Laptop

CPU: Intel Core I5 1235u,  RAM: Samsung 8 GB 3200 mhz

GPU: IrisXe 80 eu

Storage: 512 GB WD Digital SN530 NVMe

Phone:

Xiaomi MI 11

Work Phone:

Galaxy A50

Will the PC be wired with ethernet or will you need a Wifi card? Other than that, I would follow the recommendations above. You probably don't need 16 gb ram for anything you will be doing but never hurts for that price.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU:  Intel Core i7-14700K
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT720
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000

Storage 1: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB

Storage 2: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB
Video Card: EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x2)
Monitor Main: MSI G274QPF-QD 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

Save your money and just get a new hard drive and possibly faster memory. If there's nothing else wrong and the system is less than 20 years old, the differences, other than being a few seconds faster probably won't matter to them - mine didn't notice when I went from an 8086 to a 286 on theirs -  as long as their not complaining about the present system.  Also, the simple OS reinstall itself works wonders.