New York State Butchers Right To Repair Bill making it useless

AlTech
8 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

The bill wasn't vetoed. The governor just refused to sign the bill and asked the legislature for changes. The legislature caved and gave the governor the changes she asked for.

Wait they can do that? Why in the world did they make any concessions when they had such a majority? I mean they can't just refuse to sign it indefinitely can they? 

5 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Wait they can do that? Why in the world did they make any concessions when they had such a majority?

Probably non-tech related reasons which can't be discussed further because of the CS.

5 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

I mean they can't just refuse to sign it indefinitely can they? 

No. If the legislature hadn't caved it would likely eventually have been noted as a veto and passed into law considering the veto proof majority.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

52 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Probably non-tech related reasons which can't be discussed further because of the CS.

No. If the legislature hadn't caved it would likely eventually have been noted as a veto and passed into law considering the veto proof majority.

Well that sucks. It looks like they didn't really care about right to repair with how fast they caved in. Probably just want to sound good which they really don't need to have all of the items remain in the bill as they can still say they supported a right to repair bill. 

On 12/29/2022 at 7:00 PM, divito said:

But anyone can visit a scrap yard and purchase an OEM part without such contract. eBay has thousands of listings for OEM parts. And that's not to mention all the aftermarket parts.

Sure, if you are talking about an older car, any relatively new car especially EVs you will find that this is not the case. I happen to own an i3 and to change the battery to a new one or a bigger battery, you have to code the car with a 10000€ tool from bmw, that's more than what you would pay for a used 94ah battery. parts that need to be programmed the same stupid fucking way an iphone fingerprint reader has to be programmed to work will happen to the automotive industry also, I can guarantee that. Unless some laws are passed against it.

the only way to correct this is identifying governors and political figures with histories of weakness to lobby groups and vote them out of office.

The fact this topic hasn't been on any politician's election bid brings up the same corruption conversations about historic politicians during gang owned New York where now the corporations have just as much power or more over politicians and just corrupt the whole point of an impartial organization reviewing, amending and voting on bills.

Someone with more knowledge of the legal amending of bills, how the heck did an amendment get added by the last signatory of the bill and not require ANY oversight or debate on the amendment which literally reverses the purpose of the bill?!

Even reading the amendment, it's clear there was a knowing intent to reverse or block the bill from ever existing on the part of the governor.

I'd like to see an income statement from NY's governor when she decides a new penthouse apartment is needed after this lobbying succeeded.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

On 1/1/2023 at 1:00 PM, GhostRoadieBL said:

the only way to correct this is identifying governors and political figures with histories of weakness to lobby groups and vote them out of office.

The fact this topic hasn't been on any politician's election bid brings up the same corruption conversations about historic politicians during gang owned New York where now the corporations have just as much power or more over politicians and just corrupt the whole point of an impartial organization reviewing, amending and voting on bills.

Someone with more knowledge of the legal amending of bills, how the heck did an amendment get added by the last signatory of the bill and not require ANY oversight or debate on the amendment which literally reverses the purpose of the bill?!

Even reading the amendment, it's clear there was a knowing intent to reverse or block the bill from ever existing on the part of the governor.

I'd like to see an income statement from NY's governor when she decides a new penthouse apartment is needed after this lobbying succeeded.

One of the NY governors biggest donators is a building in new york that houses the Irish consulate general, tourism Ireland and enterprise Ireland.   Not that Ireland have anything to benefit from apple staying extremely rich, except for a very large chunk of their GDP coming from tax deals with apple to house their head office for global patents of course.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 12/29/2022 at 12:38 PM, AluminiumTech said:

People come to us because when you have a bad $28 chip on your motherboard the manufacturer will tell you that what you need to do is to replace the $750 motherboard. The entire reason people come to us, the entire reason we have a business is because we will do the work to replace individual components rather than entire assemblies. That is the point...

While this is true, even if say Apple refuses to provide the individual parts without the PCB, repair shops and dealers would probably be able to stock up on them and salvage individual parts as needed. As far as I know this is how people like Louis already get these parts, except right now they have to trust some aliexpress vendor who may have gotten the parts from stolen or broken boards. Also this then allows people to sue Apple or whomever and demand they prove selling these parts separately would cause a safety hazard of any kind - because they certainly can't do that with integrated chips.

It's certainly a pretty lame setback but it may not be completely useless.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Let's burn this witch's house down with LEMONS.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

On 1/2/2023 at 12:44 PM, Sauron said:

While this is true, even if say Apple refuses to provide the individual parts without the PCB, repair shops and dealers would probably be able to stock up on them and salvage individual parts as needed. As far as I know this is how people like Louis already get these parts

My understanding is not entirely no.

Yes he relies on donor boards, but there are some chips he can't get from donor boards so he either can't do those repairs until the manufacturer Apple contracts to makes the part decides to make the part available to others despite Apple's contracts forcing them not to or some other manufacturer that had never made the part tries making that part.

except right now they have to trust some aliexpress vendor who may have gotten the parts from stolen or broken boards.

He doesn't buy parts off AliExpress to my knowledge. He tries to approach manufacturers directly and see what they are willing to provide him in terms of parts he needs etc.

Also this then allows people to sue Apple or whomever and demand they prove selling these parts separately would cause a safety hazard of any kind - because they certainly can't do that with integrated chips.

It's certainly a pretty lame setback but it may not be completely useless.

The current system of board level repair in the world requires:

• component manufacturers to violate their contracts with Apple, ODMs, and OEMs, because their agreements say they can't share these schematics and in many cases can't sell the same parts to other companies besides their primary customer e.g. Apple or HP or Dell
  • Employees who work for Apple (or other manufacturers) directly or for a company Apple (or another ODM or OEM) contracts out to to leak the schematics on the internet at risk of them being fired or even sent to prison.
  • Downloading the aforementioned probably illegally obtained schematics for the devices so that the repair techs can actually see what's on the board in order that they perform component level board repair
  • And for repair shops willing to not become Apple IRP programme certified etc because then they couldn't do component level board repair.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

On 1/4/2023 at 5:17 AM, AluminiumTech said:

He doesn't buy parts off AliExpress to my knowledge. He tries to approach manufacturers directly and see what they are willing to provide him in terms of parts he needs etc.

Sure, it's just an example of a marketplace where you can sometimes find iffy vendors, you know what I mean

On 1/4/2023 at 5:17 AM, AluminiumTech said:

The current system of board level repair in the world requires:

• component manufacturers to violate their contracts with Apple, ODMs, and OEMs, because their agreements say they can't share these schematics and in many cases can't sell the same parts to other companies besides their primary customer e.g. Apple or HP or Dell
  • Employees who work for Apple (or other manufacturers) directly or for a company Apple (or another ODM or OEM) contracts out to to leak the schematics on the internet at risk of them being fired or even sent to prison.
  • Downloading the aforementioned probably illegally obtained schematics for the devices so that the repair techs can actually see what's on the board in order that they perform component level board repair
  • And for repair shops willing to not become Apple IRP programme certified etc because then they couldn't do component level board repair.

yeah, and wouldn't it be really hard for Apple to prove in court that providing any of these things on request would pose significant hazard?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

And no one is surprised 

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

8 hours ago, Sauron said:

yeah, and wouldn't it be really hard for Apple to prove in court that providing any of these things on request would pose significant hazard?

Now THAT is a good court case!  I'd watch that for sure.  I hope people start caring enough about e-waste (it's waay too much right now)  to want to go down this rabbit hole, find this forum, find this thread, see the crazy, absurd process required to understand how our electric powered devices are repair, the work required to violate a comoanies rules to do so, and the human slavery involved as well.

I hope Louis Rossmann gets more recognition for his efforts and passion for the environment and reasonable laws in this world.

I wiah it would happen soon, within the next few years, but that's probably dreaming.  This as always, will NEVER apply to war, so imagine all the unrecycled, destroyed e-waste and loss of life in all future wars, and all the new devices we buy that we throw away after two years because of some bug, or it got slow.  It makes mw sick.

We have human brains capable of figuring out how far away a star is, how to and when to shoot a rocket into space so that it uses a planet's gravity to fly past jupiter, with computer systems and a satellite that is still sending back data, from another solar system.

We have now figured out nuclear fusion (whatever that is) and now CPUs have light-based connections instead of copper wires.

But there's just no way in hell that we can POSSIBLY design a device and manufacture one or billions, without enslaving other humans, demeaning their human value as a human being, polluting their home land and river systems, having them be killed in mine explosions, and force them to manufacture in such poor conditions that they would rather jump out of a building then continue on with their time.

No we aren't capable of that yet.  Ceetainly no, we're just not mentally smart enough, how would we ever come up with such a wild idea?

Treating other humans as equals?! Wow now THAT'S just crazy!

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2022 at 9:00 PM, GhostRoadieBL said:

This doesn't work. So you're not going to vote for politician A because they're corrupt, and instead you'll vote for politician B. Except, wait, politician B is corrupt as well. Or you strongly disagree with their views. Well, then you can just vote for politician C. Nope, scratch that, because they're only going to get 3% of the vote, if they're lucky. Guess it's back to corrupt A. This is why the two-party system works to keep the status quo. It's a duopoly and has no competition, and they want to keep it that way.

I agree it's ridiculous they caved to the governor like this. She's certainly the main one to blame here, but they could have forced it through and didn't, so they're really just as much to blame. Wouldn't surprise me if that was the plan all along. They get to look to the voters like they tried while also giving the companies what they wanted and earning their bribes donations.

NY seems like the most likely state for this type of legislation to pass, not to mention it would force change across all states and probably countries if it did, so the fact it didn't is definitely bad. Like most things like this, it will probably be left to other markets to push change through.