Please help me which cooler to buy for an i7 4790k?

Stonehencs
Go to solution Solved by Stonehencs,

I delidelt the processor and this is the result under full load.

image.png.8fbcd474fc0421055788ccc00c0b2332.png

Hello! 

I have an i7 4790k processor and a BE QUIET! Pure Rock 2 cooler. I noticed that 2 of the 4 cores are above 80 degrees when running at max and the rest are around 60 degrees. And all the screws are tightened.

Can you help me with the cause or what cooler to buy instead?

image.png.606666c2f383de1c877d46228ff21f4b.png

What thermal paste are you using? 

How's the thermal paste spread when you remove the cooler? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

You don't need a new cooler, you need better thermal paste application and to mount the cooler properly. 

Also make sure to not overtighten it as you will bend the board and make worse contact with the CPU. 

Delid the cpu and change the garbage dried up tim for prefferably liquid metal but even thermal paste will work fine, ppl have done pretty high ocs on these chips even on basic ass hyper 212s, a pure rock 2 should do better than a bog standard h212

What oc btw?

3 hours ago, WereCat said:

You don't need a new cooler, you need better thermal paste application and to mount the cooler properly. 

Also make sure to not overtighten it as you will bend the board and make worse contact with the CPU. 

I re-pasted with brand new MX4 and didn't tighten the screws as much but it didn't get much better. For some reason the front core is still around 83 degrees. Try again with the screws tightened even less? Or what do you think I should do?

image.png.b81a9c763d63555bbd5b61b90a7ee378.png

1 hour ago, Stonehencs said:

I re-pasted with brand new MX4 and didn't tighten the screws as much but it didn't get much better. For some reason the front core is still around 83 degrees. Try again with the screws tightened even less? Or what do you think I should do?

image.png.b81a9c763d63555bbd5b61b90a7ee378.png

Dont loosen it much, the point was to make the tight even on all screws and also not too tight but tight enough.

Anyways, Haswell suffers from having high temps because of how the IHS contacs the die, that's why people used to delid them a lot. This does not look like a cooler issue to me since you would see all cores to run a high temp during full load and not just one or two. But the delta here is just too much.

What motherboard and stress test are you using? Are you running default bios settings?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

is 4790k overclocked?

my 4770k on stock with Scythe mugen + arctic p12 barely hits 75c

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

16 hours ago, Stonehencs said:

Hello! 

I have an i7 4790k processor and a BE QUIET! Pure Rock 2 cooler. I noticed that 2 of the 4 cores are above 80 degrees when running at max and the rest are around 60 degrees. And all the screws are tightened.

Can you help me with the cause or what cooler to buy instead?

image.png.606666c2f383de1c877d46228ff21f4b.png

Just to clarify
How's the cooling of the system ?
What is your PC Case ?

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What motherboard and stress test are you using? Are you running default bios settings?

I have an Asus 85M-E motherboard and everything is on factory bios, I just increased the PWM of the processor fan to make it spin faster.

3 hours ago, fonzz1e said:

is 4790k overclocked?

my 4770k on stock with Scythe mugen + arctic p12 barely hits 75c

My i7 4790K is not overlocked at all it's full stock

3 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

Just to clarify
How's the cooling of the system ?
What is your PC Case ?

The video card is running around 60 degrees under full load after I re pasted it.
The computer case is a Genesis 700

Everything in the machine is air-cooled

if u remove the side panel does the cpu temps go down?

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini