Returnal coming to PC but Sony recommends 32GB of RAM

AlTech
5 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

what was wrong with that in your opinion?  the game runs perfectly fine for me.

I should have been more specific, but when the game came out it ran like ass on anything that wasn't greater that a 10th gen i7, RTX 2070 and the game installed on a NVME SSD. it got patched overtime and it fine now but it was awful for budget rigs and some mid to high end systems on release, look up the steam reviews when the game came out.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

1 hour ago, Chiyawa said:

I don't suppose you can stream your game session using PS5, right?

why? this has been a feature since ps4, ps3 had also the ability,  but it was never actually implemented in the os afaik (recording was though it had to be implemented on a per game basis)

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/games/ps5-stream-gameplay-broadcast/

24 minutes ago, AlexGoesHigh said:

I should have been more specific, but when the game came out it ran like ass on anything that wasn't greater that a 10th gen i7, RTX 2070 and the game installed on a NVME SSD. it got patched overtime and it fine now but it was awful for budget rigs and some mid to high end systems on release, look up the steam reviews when the game came out.

ah, ok, yeah i can see that, at least they fixed it (its still kind of a resource hog lol, but runs fine)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

14 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

why? this has been a feature since ps4, ps3 had also the ability,  but it was never actually implemented in the os afaik (recording was though it had to be implemented on a per game basis)

Oh, I thought you couldn't broadcast your gameplay during gaming in PS5. I saw many streamers stream their game using a PC and have their PS5 connect using a capture card.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

37 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Oh, I thought you couldn't broadcast your gameplay during gaming in PS5. I saw many streamers stream their game using a PC and have their PS5 connect using a capture card.

hmm, maybe for quality reasons,  but it should definitely work with a ps5. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

but not maxxed out... if 32 is really a final requirement , im kinda looking forward to the shitstorm steam reviews etc will be lol. 

I look at it two ways. I do buy the theory earlier that it ideally requires some amount over 16GB, so they rounded to 32GB since hardly anyone will have an intermediate amount.

The other is, at some point games will need more ram than is common now. It doesn't feel like that long ago when we were asking if 8GB was still enough, and we have kinda moved onto 16GB for now. 32GB as a higher end requirement will come at some point, especially in DDR5 era where the lower capacity modules have a further performance loss relative to larger due to their configuration.

6 hours ago, Kisai said:

So that means needing at least 50% more CPU, GPU and RAM than the console since a PC doesn't have GDDR6 (which is likely 30% faster than DDR4 in a PC,) and isn't guaranteed to have PCIe4 SSD's which are required in PS5's.

PS5 ram bandwidth is 448 GB/s, but keep in mind that is shared with both CPU and GPU. The 'X has a split 10GB at 560GB/s and 6GB at 336GB/s which you could say averages to about the same ball park.

DDR4 doesn't even come close to that. The fastest officially supported speed on both sides is 3200, which at dual channel gives 50GB/s, nearly an order of magnitude less.

Of course, that's only for the CPU part and such bandwidths aren't needed as much there. It may be considered practically unlimited as far as the CPU is concerned.

The real benefit is for the GPU. The recommended 2070S GPU for the game has 496GB/s so similar ball park to the consoles. 6700 XT is 384GB/s but the effective is somewhere higher than that due to cache.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I couldnt care less about Returnal, but it does surprise me how console exclusives are getting to PC faster and faster nowadays.

I wonder why that is. It could be that the devs just dont want to sign 100% exclusivity deals anymore. Or it could be that the PC gaming market is larger than before and therefore more lucrative for Sony.

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

3 hours ago, Giganthrax said:

I couldnt care less about Returnal, but it does surprise me how console exclusives are getting to PC faster and faster nowadays.

I wonder why that is. It could be that the devs just dont want to sign 100% exclusivity deals anymore. Or it could be that the PC gaming market is larger than before and therefore more lucrative for Sony.

image.thumb.png.c23377e7538d61d1eed4f830bd7bb536.png

Last of Us part 1 (Release March 2023)

image.thumb.png.faebd68ce0a299f8f95636bcc3d73ac6.png

God of War (Released Jan 2022)

It think ultimately Sony sees the writing on the wall. If and when the "Playstation 6" becomes a thing, it's likely that there will be no reason to buy it over a PC. Usually what happens is that the console is the better experience for about 2 years, and then the PC catches back up. However the current price of a PS5 is around $1000, and a RTX 3080 is around $1100. You can't expect a gamer to want to own both a console and a desktop gaming PC, when the console is expensive and the inferior experience after 2 years.

They probably leave it unoptimized so PC gamers will complain about all the issues which gives sony a reason to no longer bring out games for PC.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Nice, I wanted to play this game but I don't want to buy a PS5 to get it.

Recommended specs aren't always accurate, don't worry too much about it. Also recommended doesn't mean they are required for the game to be playable, just for the "high" settings.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 hours ago, porina said:

PS5 ram bandwidth is 448 GB/s, but keep in mind that is shared with both CPU and GPU. The 'X has a split 10GB at 560GB/s and 6GB at 336GB/s which you could say averages to about the same ball park.

huh ok i didn't know consoles have much faster ram... that's kinda a killer feature,  could explain the [outrageous] ram requirements for pc.

44 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Recommended specs aren't always accurate

yeah, but on pc that really means minimum requirement because when people cant max it out its a "shit port" ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

48 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

They probably leave it unoptimized so PC gamers will complain about all the issues which gives sony a reason to no longer bring out games for PC.

If they didn't want to bring their games out for PC, they could have just... Not brought them out for PC. Just like they didn't, for years and years.

Il "Spend money to port the games to PC but intentionally do a bad job so that when people complain we can use that as a reason to stop releasing them on PC when nothing forced us to do that to begin with" is real galaxy brain stuff but I assure you that is not what they are doing. The conspiracy theorist martyr complex of PC gamers is still going strong as ever though, I see.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

5 hours ago, Giganthrax said:

couldnt care less about Returnal,

same, all i care about are these hilarious ram requirements, it's like *rick flair.gif*

this will also likely open the floodgates for higher ram requirements generally,  which might be a good thing (or not)

57 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

that's my secret pov as well tbth 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

huh ok i didn't know consoles have much faster ram... that's kinda a killer feature,  could explain the [outrageous] ram requirements for pc.

As I said, it is mainly for the benefit of the GPU. The CPU just gets a free ride on it.

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

yeah, but on pc that really means minimum requirement because when people cant max it out its a "shit port" ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

If you want max settings you usually needed more than recommended, which I see as a reasonable setting for the masses.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

6 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

While GDDR will have more bandwidth than DDR it also has higher latency than DDR, so in some cases it would be worse.

There is a graph comparing the latency of them in the link below.

https://chipsandcheese.com/2021/04/16/measuring-gpu-memory-latency/

15 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

No it doesn't, ram speed and capacity are not interchangeable... and ram having a higher bandwidth doesn't always translate directly into better game performance. The only real raeason it's fast on the ps5 is that it's used as vram as well.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*