Installed New Ryzen 9 7000 series running really hot with high load?

CanuCme

I just installed my new Ryzen 9 and right out of boot it was at 30% load with temps of 75 C and it went down to 60 C at like 12% load. Is this normal?? At like 5% load at home it’s running at 58 C

little worried here as it’s my first time

idle temps are useless, because the cooler is also spun down way slow probably.

Yeah Ryzen, normal for it to idle at 60C

if the high load at stress are too high, that's where a problem could be

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

5 minutes ago, CanuCme said:

I just installed my new Ryzen 9 and right out of boot it was at 30% load with temps of 75 C and it went down to 60 C at like 12% load. Is this normal?? At like 5% load at home it’s running at 58 C

little worried here as it’s my first time

7000 series runs very warm, totally normal.

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

idle temps are useless, because the cooler is also spun down way slow probably.

My cooler is at the max possible speed. It’s a little nerve racking 

5 minutes ago, podkall said:

Yeah Ryzen, normal for it to idle at 60C

if the high load at stress are too high, that's where a problem could be

60 C is insane for idle are you sure?

8 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

7000 series runs very warm, totally normal.

I have a pretty great cooler Corsair H150i elite capillex. Im reading that it shouldn’t even reach 80 under great loads at max GHz. 

Your idle temps are real high

Are you sure the cooler is correctly mounted?

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

2 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

I’m not entirely confident but I couldn’t see it any other way. I struggled a little with the hooks (Ryzen) that Ryzen has to clamp instead of a bracket like Intel. I feel like I correctly applied the thermal paste as well. 

1 minute ago, CanuCme said:

I’m not entirely confident but I couldn’t see it any other way. I struggled a little with the hooks (Ryzen) that Ryzen has to clamp instead of a bracket like Intel. I feel like I correctly applied the thermal paste as well. 

What's the temp in BIOS?

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

5 minutes ago, CanuCme said:

I have a pretty great cooler Corsair H150i elite capillex. Im reading that it shouldn’t even reach 80 under great loads at max GHz. 

What size rad? 60s under light load seems on the high end of fine, but high 50s at idle seems high. On my 7950X, at idle-ish I'm at 45 hot spot and 35 on the cores, using an EVGA CLC280.

I'd definitely take a look at your mounting.

7 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

What's the temp in BIOS?

I’ll check quick and get back to you. 

9 minutes ago, JT89 said:

What size rad? 60s under light load seems on the high end of fine, but high 50s at idle seems high. On my 7950X, at idle-ish I'm at 45 hot spot and 35 on the cores, using an EVGA CLC280.

I'd definitely take a look at your mounting.

After restarting it idles at like 4.6-5.2 GHz ranging from temps of 48-65 C. Why is it spiking to much in idle? 

my radiator size is 360 mm

Just now, CanuCme said:

After restarting it idles at like 4.6-5.2 GHz ranging from temps of 48-65 C. Why is it spiking to much in idle? 

19 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

It says my CPU temp is 42 C in bios. It’s been spiking weirdly in Corsair ICUE and the task manager spiking while idle mainly. Is that something to be worried about. It doesn’t seem to cause stability issues or anything.

38 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

It’s reaching 80C at only 24% load when simply downloading a game.. 

39 minutes ago, CanuCme said:

Where did you read that?

Pretty much every report I have seen says that Ryzen 7000 will boost up to 95 degrees and stay there. Regardless of which cooler you get, it will just boost the frequency until it hits 95 degrees. Getting a better cooler won't lower your temps, but it will increase the peak frequency. 

I can't comment on idle temperatures, but please keep in mind that it highly depends on ambient temps (how hot your room is), how your computer is located (inside a hot corner where not a lot of cold air can reach it?), which programs you got running in the background and possibly most importantly, what your fan profile looks like. It might be 40 degrees because your fan is barely spinning, which makes it quiet.

Your processor is designed to handle a certain temperature without issues. 40 degrees is not an issue.

If you don't get any stability issues, and your boost clock seems normal, then chances are everything is fine and you have no need to worry.

If you do experience instability or weirdly low boost frequencies then you should investigate it more.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Pretty much every report I have seen says that Ryzen 7000 will boost up to 95 degrees and stay there.

isn't that just an AM5 thing?

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

18 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Where did you read that?

Pretty much every report I have seen says that Ryzen 7000 will boost up to 95 degrees and stay there. Regardless of which cooler you get, it will just boost the frequency until it hits 95 degrees. Getting a better cooler won't lower your temps, but it will increase the peak frequency. 

I can't comment on idle temperatures, but please keep in mind that it highly depends on ambient temps (how hot your room is), how your computer is located (inside a hot corner where not a lot of cold air can reach it?), which programs you got running in the background and possibly most importantly, what your fan profile looks like. It might be 40 degrees because your fan is barely spinning, which makes it quiet.

Your processor is designed to handle a certain temperature without issues. 40 degrees is not an issue.

If you don't get any stability issues, and your boost clock seems normal, then chances are everything is fine and you have no need to worry.

If you do experience instability or weirdly low boost frequencies then you should investigate it more.

46 C is the lowest it’s been. It’s sitting around 65 C Celsius consistently at windows home with like 10% load. 
currently turning temp down and tinkered with fan profile. 
The usage doesn’t seem normal to me is all. And the temps that follow along with it

1 hour ago, CanuCme said:

Pretty mediocre cooler. Expensive, but not great. LCD is fun though.

It should boost to 95 and stay there under heavy load.

3 hours ago, podkall said:

isn't that just an AM5 thing?

Ryzen 7000 is currently the only AM5 compatible processors so we don't know how future processors might behave.

Future AM5 processors might also boost until they hit 95 degrees, but since the TCase is typically set per CPU model and not socket type I don't see why we should assume it is a socket thing this time around.

2 hours ago, CanuCme said:

46 C is the lowest it’s been. It’s sitting around 65 C Celsius consistently at windows home with like 10% load. 
currently turning temp down and tinkered with fan profile. 
The usage doesn’t seem normal to me is all. And the temps that follow along with it

Again, the only two questions that matters are:

1) Is you computer stable without random crashes? 

2) Does your processor handle sustained load at the base clock, or boost to somewhere around where you can reasonable expect it to?

If the answer to both of those questions is "yes", then your computer is fine. Stop worrying about your temperatures if you are not experiencing any issues because of it.

Something else to keep in mind is that AMD's temperature sensor has historically been very inaccurate at low loads. Although, it has typically reported lower values than the processor ran at.

Anyway, we have way too little info to actually help you. For all we know, your fans might be basically off because you are running in some "silent mode", or maybe you have overclocked your processor poorly. Or maybe everything is perfectly fine.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Ryzen 7000 is currently the only AM5 compatible processors so we don't know how future processors might behave.

Future AM5 processors might also boost until they hit 95 degrees, but since the TCase is typically set per CPU model and not socket type I don't see why we should assume it is a socket thing this time around.

Again, the only two questions that matters are:

1) Is you computer stable without random crashes? 

2) Does your processor handle sustained load at the base clock, or boost to somewhere around where you can reasonable expect it to?

If the answer to both of those questions is "yes", then your computer is fine. Stop worrying about your temperatures if you are not experiencing any issues because of it.

Something else to keep in mind is that AMD's temperature sensor has historically been very inaccurate at low loads. Although, it has typically reported lower values than the processor ran at.

Anyway, we have way too little info to actually help you. For all we know, your fans might be basically off because you are running in some "silent mode", or maybe you have overclocked your processor poorly. Or maybe everything is perfectly fine.

I’m not overclocking at all and my fans are not in silent mode. What can I assume is the most accurate answer for temp then. I’m getting some stutters in valorant. In cyberpunk 2077 it seems fine. This image is around what it runs Cyberpunk 2077 With Ray tracing for. Sometimes going up to 40% usage. 

4CC4EDE8-F4CC-4CD0-9694-4F6E80A28808.jpeg

AFAIK amd made IHS on ryzen 7000 thicker to ensure it's compatible with am4 coolers

You can try eco mode at 105w

Ryzen 5700x + EK Supremacy D-RGB | 2x8 GB DDR4 Klevv 3200 MT/s | MSI B550M Mortar | Palit 3070 GamingPro LHR + Bykski N-PT3070PRO-X | Corsair RM750 | Alphacool EPDM + QDC | Aquacomputer Quadro + HighFlow2 | EK D5 XTOP | Freezemod 360 30mm rad + Barrow Dabel-20b 360 20mm | Barrow & Freezemod fittings | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Audio: beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X + iFi ZEN Air DAC + Razer Seiren Mini

11 minutes ago, Ralfi said:

Is it possible you have background tasks/Windows updates contributing to your idle temp/CPU use fluctuations?

Sometimes but not usually. Sometimes I’ll have something as simple as steam running and it’ll fluctuate like 1-10% load and could go up to 65-70 C. Downloading games seems to get it running pretty hot in comparison to load. Is that normal too?

5 minutes ago, fonzz1e said:

AFAIK amd made IHS on ryzen 7000 thicker to ensure it's compatible with am4 coolers

You can try eco mode at 105w

How do I turn on eco mode?