Does HW Moniter even work?

I wanted to do some over clocking so I looked at my ambient temps with HW moniter to see how much headroom I had (btw im running a 6300 with an H60 on an as rock 990fx exttreme 3) and it said my cpu was running at 6 degrees.....

At first I thought wow our holy lord Gabe N must be smiling upon me or something because these temps are insane! but wait? how is that possible? the temperature in my room was around 23 degrees so how was my cpu even cooler than that? It didn't use any type of refrigerant so HW Moniter must be lying right?...

post-24838-0-23660200-1399044216.png

post-24838-0-23660200-1399044216.png

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

I wanted to do some over clocking so I looked at my ambient temps with HW moniter to see how much headroom I had (btw im running a 6300 with an H60 on an as rock 990fx exttreme 3) and it said my cpu was running at 6 degrees.....

At first I thought wow our holy lord Gabe N must be smiling upon me or something because these temps are insane! but wait? how is that possible? the temperature in my room was around 23 degrees so how was my cpu even cooler than that? It didn't use any type of refrigerant so HW Moniter must be lying right?...

Not necessarily hardware monitor that's not working. AMD CPU's are notorious for having bad temperature sensors. 

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

AMD has been know to have faulty temperature sensores. You can try to use CoreTemp, just to make sure that the program isn't at fault.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

AMD has been know to have faulty temperature sensores. You can try to use CoreTemp, just to make sure that the program isn't at fault.

Ummmmmmm

post-24838-0-99446100-1399044648.png

-Linus Sebastian

bad cpu sensors

if other programs also give you the same temps you should not overclock at all because you have no idea how high your temps are getting

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Ummmmmmm

Hmm, never had that happen before. Well, don't try that then. 

Edit: It also happens with me. I have no idea why it's doing that now.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Ummmmmmm

it has bundled software, you have to decline it.

if you're so convinced something is wrong with HWmonitor and Coretemp (nobody else has a problem with it) then download your BIOS software.

Error: 410

Hmm, never had that happen before. Well, don't try that then. 

Edit: It also happens with me. I have no idea why it's doing that now.

it has bundled software, you have to decline it.

if you're so convinced something is wrong with HWmonitor and Coretemp (nobody else has a problem with it) then download your BIOS software.

this works however 31 degrees still seems awfully cool...

post-24838-0-06222800-1399045124_thumb.p

-Linus Sebastian

this works however 31 degrees still seems awfully cool...

AMD temperature sensors are more inaccurate the further the chip is away from 55c. When your chip is under load and not overheating, the temperature is accurate. Under unstable (too hot) load or idle it's completely wrong. BIOS software is better for that.

Error: 410

Ummmmmmm

I had your exact problem (both with the temp sensors and coretemp being "malicious"). When you get to CT's download page, click "More downloads..." and download the standalone version of the software. The stuff it normally is bundled with is malicious (allegedly) but it isn't.

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/