Another Reaction Button

TylerD321

I think we should have one more reaction of some kind that way it is a perfect number of 5 (rather than the 4 we currently have). 

I like the idea of having a frown icon (not the same idea as a dislike). The use case would in my opinion be if something you were trying to do is not possible you could use it here. There are probably other reactions that may be useful such as "!" to show urgency or "?" to ask for clarification.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

I think the laugh react is used in that way already. Some people have asked for a dislike or frown before, but I can't remember the reason mods say no. It's a legit reason too, I just have a bad memory and don't feel like using the search function. One of them will comment shortly tho.

If anything, I kinda wish there was a "drop" style react. Like how Linus drops stuff. Or a "trust me bro" sorta one. I think those would be funny.

36 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

I think the laugh react is used in that way already. Some people have asked for a dislike or frown before, but I can't remember the reason mods say no. It's a legit reason too, I just have a bad memory and don't feel like using the search function. One of them will comment shortly tho.

If anything, I kinda wish there was a "drop" style react. Like how Linus drops stuff. Or a "trust me bro" sorta one. I think those would be funny.

If I recall, the dislike reaction was denied as they want people to quote them and state their opinions rather than just saying they dislike it.

Main Gaming Machine

2 hours ago, Caroline said:

The haha react is really abused in here already, and while some comments might be funny there are a lot of people using it to disregard someone's opinion on the matter, I've seen this in the PSU subforum in particular where if you comment against certain brands or units you'll get hahabombed for no reason. This very comment might get hahabombed because I like to call out troll behaviour and trolls in general.

This is recognised as form of cyber bullying by moderation and if seen, treated as such. But unless you nudge us to where to look at, we don't have resources to act on it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

14 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

That sounds like a fun idea, but I'm having a hard coming up with a use-case other than being just an inside joke among fans.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

15 hours ago, TylerD321 said:

If I recall, the dislike reaction was denied as they want people to quote them and state their opinions rather than just saying they dislike it.

Yes that makes sense. in fact I think that's almost word for word the reason too. Dunno why I couldn't think of it lol. 

14 hours ago, Caroline said:

The haha react is really abused in here already

Its basically our dislike button already. Adding a real dislike button would invite the ability to promote the wrong answers being put ontop. 

1 hour ago, TempestCatto said:

Yes that makes sense. in fact I think that's almost word for word the reason too. Dunno why I couldn't think of it lol. 

Its basically our dislike button already. Adding a real dislike button would invite the ability to promote the wrong answers being put ontop. 

I would like to reiterate that I’m not suggesting that we add a dislike button, just another reaction in general.

Main Gaming Machine

7 hours ago, divito said:

I'd thought about another reaction button, but avoiding negative themes, the only one that might be relevant is perhaps a 😮 (shocked/surprised) one? Outside of that, something like 🤨🤔❓ (confused/thinking/perplexed). 

Ultimately, the current four are pretty solid.

Shocked/surprised or shrug ("it be like that" style) would be cool additions.

2 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

Shocked/surprised or shrug ("it be like that" style) would be cool additions.

Oooh. I like shrug. Could indicate “idk” if someone directly asks you a question that you can’t answer. Would let someone else know to swoop in 

Main Gaming Machine

11 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

Oooh. I like shrug. Could indicate “idk” if someone directly asks you a question that you can’t answer. Would let someone else know to swoop in 

Handles the "deer in headlights", and also is an easy way of dealing with "Don't know what to tell ya, it be like that sometimes" 

The shrug react would be great for:

"With how wealthy some individuals are, why has nobody decided to become batman?"

12 hours ago, TylerD321 said:

I would like to reiterate that I’m not suggesting that we add a dislike button, just another reaction in general.

Only reaction I would add would be something showing compassion. Doesn't feel right to use "like" when context isn't positive. Angry would be another option as it can be interpret as being angry with you or being angry at you. So just like what laughing is currently used.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

13 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Only reaction I would add would be something showing compassion. Doesn't feel right to use "like" when context isn't positive. Angry would be another option as it can be interpret as being angry with you or being angry at you. So just like what laughing is currently used.

I could see both of those reactions being used sarcastically as the laughing emote often is… though I would like to have an angry emoji for when someone comments exactly what I say milliseconds after to me and make me look dumb. 

Main Gaming Machine

On 12/1/2022 at 4:33 PM, LogicalDrm said:

This is recognised as form of cyber bullying by moderation and if seen, treated as such. But unless you nudge us to where to look at, we don't have resources to act on it.

On 12/1/2022 at 2:31 PM, Caroline said:

The haha react is really abused in here already, and while some comments might be funny there are a lot of people using it to disregard someone's opinion on the matter, I've seen this in the PSU subforum in particular where if you comment against certain brands or units you'll get hahabombed for no reason. This very comment might get hahabombed because I like to call out troll behaviour and trolls in general.

As far as I am concerned using the "funny" reaction to denigrate a post is so pathetic and childish that it highlights to most rational members that that person has little to nothing important to say.   It's basically like asking people to ignore your content.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Clearly what we need is a neutral 5th reaction that has no meaning but allows users to react to a post to affirm that they are in fact engaging with the website. This will score no points and have zero meaning and be visible to no one but the user so that they can feel something and will drive up site clicks while adding absolutely no value. Thank you for coming to my ted talk.

On 12/2/2022 at 11:49 AM, NastyFlytrap said:

*Softly*
Dont.

Edit: Also i dont think we should force it.
Eventually someone will think of a 5th reaction that everyone will says 'yes! it needs to be implemented!' about and thus it'll be implemented. I dont think these ideas presented so far are worthwhile tbh

Hey I'm not trying to force anything. I just like MLG grade memes - those are hard to come by these days.

57 minutes ago, NastyFlytrap said:

You know im half tempted to haha this comment just to be a brat, but i dont think im going to risk it with my 3 already existing warnings, lol

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes as the saying goes.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

37 minutes ago, Dean0919 said:

So, absence of dislike button is just plain stupid.

If we'd have disagree button, you wouldn't have made this post to explain why you disagree. And that's the point. Having just button will give more opportunity to just press it and skip off. If thread has posts with many disagrees but no posts by those who have pressed it, you won't know anything, but for some odd reason people don't like the others posts. No opinions, just hate. Just like any posts saying just "yes", "no" and such. They don't bring anything to someone reading the thread.

I would rather have forum without reactions to force more effective discussions.

Also, not having something doesn't censor or deny anything. Its really narrow-minded to say that not having disagree button limits one's ability express different opinion. It limits some styles of expression, sure. Such as parroting and mindless bullying/hating.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 12/3/2022 at 5:32 PM, NastyFlytrap said:

Yea, but the softly part was about the trust me bro shit.
Dont start it because we should forget that ever existed. That was a gigantic black mark on LMG's reputation.

I don't really see it that way. Maybe because I was never bothered about it from the start. I always kinda figured they'd stand good for a product no matter what. I just like the jokes. 

On 12/1/2022 at 2:41 AM, TylerD321 said:

I think we should have one more reaction of some kind that way it is a perfect number of 5 (rather than the 4 we currently have). 

I like the idea of having a frown icon (not the same idea as a dislike). The use case would in my opinion be if something you were trying to do is not possible you could use it here. There are probably other reactions that may be useful such as "!" to show urgency or "?" to ask for clarification.

perfect number 5? Jhin from League of Legends would disagree with you.

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

1 hour ago, NastyFlytrap said:

Just, dont. 

That was a fucking shitshow and a half. I dont get it why its so hard to understand that warranties arent about promises, but guarantees. Their word? A promise.

In functioning countries a warranty is law

You seem really upset by this. I'm just not bothered, sorry.

Can we get a 69 reaction? Caveat is that you can only use it once a week. :3

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

On 12/1/2022 at 4:31 AM, Caroline said:

Trolls abusing it, probably. Look at sites like Reddit, there's a legitimate use for the downvote button yet trolls organise "raids" against certain users or subreddits to "downvote to oblivion" things they don't like with no reason. A similar thing happened to youtube, where there was a legitimate use for the dislike yet trolls would use it to sink videos they didn't like because of XYZ reasons, usually politics and "woke" content.

While it's true woke content might receive a big influx of dislikes the vast majority was simply trolls disliking videos with scripts and bot accounts. So they had to remove it, and left users who wanted to dislike videos with nothing to do but frown in silence.

Ancient history is that Youtube unironically instaurated the like/dislike thing to overcome the disaster that was the stars rating, which once again trolls would use to give artificial 1-star rating to random videos, one thing they liked to do back then was sink Justin Bieber's music videos, because they didn't like his music or something. It's toxic fandoms or haterdoms what ruin websites.

If we could dislike posts here it'd be chaos, imagine dozens of fanboys disliking someone's comment about a brand (looking at you NZXT fanboys) with no further explanation, and if it's implemented properly then collecting a lot of downvotes will get your account restricted in some way, because the automated systems will believe YOU are the one trolling, bit ironic innit? that's how it is.

I gave you a funny reaction because you are being offensive to NZXT fanboys!!!!

Seriously though, 100% agree.

Honestly I would just go for a thumbs up reaction instead.

As for the abuse of the laughing reaction, this really reminded me back to when I played Hearthstone. None of the emotes were supposed to be negative, but 1 said 'Oops' and another 'Well played', trust me, when people would mess up, those would be spammed like crazy. This is why I would just mute right away, because people would be so toxic with them.

As mentioned before, a sort of compassion react button, that would be nice. 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

1 hour ago, BetteBalterZen said:

As mentioned before, a sort of compassion react button, that would be nice. 

Isn't that just the heart?