Internal or external power supply for a monitor? Any difference?

KERYGAM

Hi everyone!

There are 2 monitors, one of which is on sale, has a built-in (internal) power supply and must be used with a traditional power cable.

The other one has a separate "power brick", so the power supply is solved externally.

My question is, how much worse is the internal power supply solution, if at all?

The monitors are: Samsung F24T350 vs. Samsung F24T370

As I saw, it would not differ in other specifications, but the one with internal power supply is cheaper by more than 25 euros.

Thanks for your help!

I do not like monitors with internal PSUs but that is purely due to having to route the thick AC power cable to it. I never had a monitor power supply fail on me either, if they are identical otherwise get the cheapest one.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

6 minutes ago, KERYGAM said:

Hi everyone!

There are 2 monitors, one of which is on sale, has a built-in (internal) power supply and must be used with a traditional power cable.

The other one has a separate "power brick", so the power supply is solved externally.

My question is, how much worse is the internal power supply solution, if at all?

As I saw, it would not differ in other specifications, but the one with internal power supply is cheaper by more than 25 euros.

Thanks for your help!

I prefer external, so that if the brick breaks, it's somewhat easier to replace.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

4 minutes ago, KERYGAM said:

Hi everyone!

Thanks for your help!

I've personally not had a PSU fail on a monitor OR external power brick. I'd be equally comfortable with both. And I'd likely lean towards the internal one just for less under desk clutter.

13 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

I prefer external, so that if the brick breaks, it's somewhat easier to replace.

with less heat in the monitor with an external PSU...............more likely the monitor can last longer too

16 minutes ago, worstalentscout said:

with less heat in the monitor with an external PSU...............more likely the monitor can last longer too

i'd dare state the heat output of the power supply is minimal compared to the heat output of an LCD.

i actually prefer builtin power supply, mains connectors are nice and sturdy, DC barrel jacks arent. i'd give it a higher chance of the cable getting snagged, than the builtin power supply failing of old age.

Monitors with external psus can be made thinner, and often have vesa mount support. They look better in offices or in businesses where see the back of monitors on desks... a DC cable can be easier to route and hide. 

Separate power supplies can be mass produced and used with multiple monitors which could mean the manufacturer gets one good efficient external power supply and uses it with multiple models.  With internal power supplies, there could be different power supplies (and different qualities) between models. 

The downside is like manikyath says ... risk of connector going bad if someone trips on the cable and pulls it, and it sucks if the barrel jack or whatever jack they use is somewhat proprietary making it hard to replace the external psu should it fail. 

4 hours ago, KERYGAM said:

Based on what I'm seeing on samsung page, the F24T350 doesn't have a Display Port but have a D-Sub instead.

https://displaysolutions.samsung.com/monitor/detail/1691/F24T35

Soo yeah, pointing it out just in case you need / want a DP

Ft24.png

FT243.png

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.