4090 not hitting desired framerate.

zeetsuki
Go to solution Solved by Shimejii,
31 minutes ago, zeetsuki said:

I see, thanks for the clarification. And, what do you mean when you say a “clean” install. I updated from Windows 10 to 11. Also I’m In the process of buying a 1000W PSU so i can use the 4 plugs maybe that’ll fix the low performance along the way.

Clean install means you start fresh with no upgrading and such, its a direct install. Sometimes when you upgrade hardware a few times things can mess up an OS, even with some cleaning out.

Focus on pinpointing the issue, if a clean windows install doesnt fix it (you can always use a new drive to do this to test it out) then you know its not windows.

the 4 power plugs wont be the issue for 40FPS, it may be like 5ish at most, since most 4090s dont get beyond the 450W limit much anyway, it does help for that last bit especially if you spent a lot more on it, you may as well get all your money's worth.

Basically my 4090 is not getting the same performance as what people show on YouTube with my same specs. For example, On RDR2 at 4K they get 90-100FPS average while I get 50fps average, Marvels Spider man (4K) they get 80-100FPS Average while I get 50-60(1440p is fine).  I’ve tried rolling back to first Nvidia Driver for the 4090 (522.25) because apparently it’s better for gaming but nothing. Maybe because I’m not using a display for gaming just using a random 4K 60fps TV but with V-sync off so I can see the real performance. Or maybe I gotta overclock the cpu? OR maybe because I’m not using the 4 PCIe adapters to connect 4090 I’m using 3.

Specs
GPU: 4090
CPU: 13900KF

PSU: Corsair 850W 80Gold Plus
RAM: 32GB of 3600mhz (F4-3600C18-16VK) running at that speed.
MOBO: Tuf Gaming Z790-Plus Wifi D4
Driver: 526.86

Windows 11 

are you running all the same settings as they are? are they running the EXACT same specs as you(what are the full specs of your pc?)?  is the performance enough for you as-is?

5 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

are you running all the same settings as they are? are they running the EXACT same specs as you(what are the full specs of your pc?)?  is the performance enough for you as-is?

Yes I’ve put the same in game settings. not exact same specs. 

For example this guy: 

He’s running the game on a 5800x3D. The few differences are he has a 1200W PSU and mines 850W and using Windows 10 I’m in 11. But we got the same Ram, and he’s also averaging 90-100FPS. Maybe because I’m not using the 4 PCIe connectors on the card but instead im using 3?

20 minutes ago, DOOOLY said:

Try DDU to wipe the drivers.

How would I install a driver back if my cpu doesn’t have integrated graphics? 

6 minutes ago, zeetsuki said:

For example this guy: 

He’s running the game on a 5800x3D. The few differences are he has a 1200W PSU and mines 850W and using Windows 10 I’m in 11. But we got the same Ram, and he’s also averaging 90-100FPS. Maybe because I’m not using the 4 PCIe connectors on the card but instead im using 3?

You cant exactly match a 13900kf with a 5800x3D, some games Love the cache, some arent affected by it. Also A lot of these youtubers dont exactly keep things consistent with settings or have a proper understanding of things, or they just straight up lie about it. 

You using 3 plugs Vs 4 shouldnt affect it THAT much, its mostly just the last few fps. Windows 10 vs 11 could affect some games, dont think red dead was one of them.

Was this a clean windows install or an older one? That can affect drivers and such.

6 minutes ago, zeetsuki said:

When you clear your drivers it just becomes a "generic device" without specific drivers and should work.

7 minutes ago, zeetsuki said:

Your computer wills till boot without drivers.

5 hours ago, corrado33 said:

Your computer wills till boot without drivers.

Thanks for the clarifying 

5 hours ago, Shimejii said:

You cant exactly match a 13900kf with a 5800x3D, some games Love the cache, some arent affected by it. Also A lot of these youtubers dont exactly keep things consistent with settings or have a proper understanding of things, or they just straight up lie about it. 

You using 3 plugs Vs 4 shouldnt affect it THAT much, its mostly just the last few fps. Windows 10 vs 11 could affect some games, dont think red dead was one of them.

Was this a clean windows install or an older one? That can affect drivers and such.

When you clear your drivers it just becomes a "generic device" without specific drivers and should work.

I see, thanks for the clarification. And, what do you mean when you say a “clean” install. I updated from Windows 10 to 11. Also I’m In the process of buying a 1000W PSU so i can use the 4 plugs maybe that’ll fix the low performance along the way.

31 minutes ago, zeetsuki said:

Clean install means you start fresh with no upgrading and such, its a direct install. Sometimes when you upgrade hardware a few times things can mess up an OS, even with some cleaning out.

Focus on pinpointing the issue, if a clean windows install doesnt fix it (you can always use a new drive to do this to test it out) then you know its not windows.

the 4 power plugs wont be the issue for 40FPS, it may be like 5ish at most, since most 4090s dont get beyond the 450W limit much anyway, it does help for that last bit especially if you spent a lot more on it, you may as well get all your money's worth.

Also keep in mind, SOME graphics settings are TURNED OFF in the RDR2 video at native 4K.

• MSAA -- OFF
  • FXAA -- OFF
  • API -- Vulkan
  • Tree Tessellation -- OFF

MSAA will kill FPS.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Get Msi afterburner enable overlay and have a look at your clock speeds and temps ingame 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

9 hours ago, Shimejii said:

Bro a 4090 rapes the shit out of that game and he’s getting 50 fps 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

16 hours ago, zeetsuki said:

For example this guy: 

You are probably being bottle necked at the PSU. Does your 850 have 4 individual cables or are you daisy chained? Have you considered upgrading to some 1000 or higher? I have a very similar setup (power consumption wise) and I'm running an EVGA 1600 gold. I'm still being bottle necked because of the GPU bios (zotac) but I have ample wattage.

If a card can't pull enough power you usually get a driver crash not low fps.  The numbers are a bit off though.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

3 hours ago, ewitte said:

If a card can't pull enough power you usually get a driver crash not low fps.  The numbers are a bit off though.

I see. thank you for clarifying.

6 hours ago, mwenn01 said:

You are probably being bottle necked at the PSU. Does your 850 have 4 individual cables or are you daisy chained? Have you considered upgrading to some 1000 or higher? I have a very similar setup (power consumption wise) and I'm running an EVGA 1600 gold. I'm still being bottle necked because of the GPU bios (zotac) but I have ample wattage.

just got a 1000W PSU today. and I plug in the 4 cables. What do you mean your being bottlenecked by the bios?

16 hours ago, Shimejii said:

Good idea imma try the clean Windows install and the changing drive if clean install doesn't work.

22 hours ago, Shimejii said:

from the content contributors' videos I've watched, if you don't use all 4  PCEi cables the card is informed by that upper set of connections that your PSU doesn't have the verified wattage to run in full power draw mode. You have throttled the cards performance. 

16 minutes ago, rockyroller said:

from the content contributors' videos I've watched, if you don't use all 4  PCEi cables the card is informed by that upper set of connections that your PSU doesn't have the verified wattage to run in full power draw mode. You have throttled the cards performance. 

450W is 98% the performance.  Two cables from what I saw wouldn't even boot.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

51 minutes ago, rockyroller said:

I bought a 1000W PSU today and it didn’t change anything in 4K (using 4 plugs). Just did a clean Windows install and I’m currently waiting for Red Dead 2 to finish installing to test if there’s any difference after a clean install.

18 hours ago, Shimejii said:

OMG THE CLEAN WINDOWS INSTALL FIX IT THANK YOUOOO!!!