Suggest a game for a non-gamer (difficulty inside)

Radium_Angel

So I'm not really a gamer. Never have been. I play a few things: Minecraft, World of Tanks (very rarely), Crimsonland, Left 4 Dead (the original only) Unturned and Weird Worlds.

All of these games have the following in common: Simple Controls, simple UI, easy to play.

I'd like to find something else to play but most games are either twitch-fests (I lack the manual dexterity and lightning fast reflexes for FPS games) or overly complex (IMO) UI.

Any suggestions for a non-gamer? I prefer single player, genre isn't an issue. I used to love Diablo 1 until high resolution screens put paid to that.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Plants vs Zombies holds up very well, it's not super expensive on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/3590/Plants_vs_Zombies_GOTY_Edition/

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I'm a big fan of point and click style games, puzzle games, especially games with a good story. Have you thought about any games along those lines? It looks like your list is more along the lines of strategy.

The Pedestrian -  is a puzzle game, just uses the mouse. You can catch it on sale. I bring it up as my son played it recently and also enjoyed it. (So it seems to appeal to a wide range of people). 

The Room -  this is a whole series of games, has a story, again just uses the mouse. Cheap. I really enjoyed these.

Deponia -  Again a series of game, great story. One of my favorite point a click games. The entire series can be picked up cheap when on sale.

Phoenix Wright - these games have a great story, sort of a mystery, finding clues, simple controls. I put over a 100 hours into this one.  

Tons of games along these lines. If you want something along these lines but a bit more interactive, you can look at maybe Creaks, Fran Bow, Darq, things like that. 

53 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Plants vs Zombies holds up very well, it's not super expensive on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/3590/Plants_vs_Zombies_GOTY_Edition/

I did enjoy the original, does the GOTY edition bring anything new to the table?

37 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

That looks really imaginative!

40 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

My mind read that as "Simon Phoenix" and I got super excited for a moment (bad guy from the movie Demolition Man)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

if you want to be overwhelmed by choices of what to play, here's a website that generates random PC games:

https://www.randomlists.com/random-video-games?dup=false

I know you wanted a specific recommendation, lot of games I play/played have specific kind of difficulty that you might handle but not sure, for example HITMAN, Darkest Dungeon, Rocket League, etc.

Also Epic Games weekly free game/s is a thing and maybe you have a game that would work in your library, or get it eventually, maybe.

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

All of these games have the following in common: Simple Controls, simple UI, easy to play.

How about Mass Effect Legacy (is on game pass) and Mass Effect: Andromeda?

You can use auto targetting and if you set difficulty low, you won't have problems getting through and can concentrate on the story, so it's easy to play.  You don't even have to fight much if you don't want to and you totally have to make use of cover anyway.  Your NPC companions can do the fighting mostly for you.  Some of the stronger opponents may give you trouble and you have to figure out how to effectively fight them.  Pay attention to upgrading your weapons and armor; when you get that right and learn how to use them, you're almost invincible.

I played it on xbox, and controls and UI are simple, make perfect sense and are not confusing.

They are truly awesome and visionary games and even more than worthwile to play through several times, especially when you switch gender of the protagonist.

One Finger Death Punch 2- It's a 2 fingers game(or 1 if you're up for a challenge).

Each round is fairly short early on but gradually gets longer near the end. Try the Survival Tower mode once you're familiar with the game mechanics. 

Magicka 1/2 - You're a wizard and have 8 elements(+ 3 subs elements) to conjure so you can create different spells that work best for the enemies in front of you. There's 3 types of magic you can do, 1. projectile/beam/sprays/arc, 2. shield/armor, 3. weapon buff that you can play with. Along the way you'll learn some unique spells that need certain combinations to activate. The game have 4 coop support but totally playable solo. The more player you have, the more havoc it will create because you cannot turn off friendly fire and AOE is a thing.

Trine 2 - A puzzle game.  

You have control for 3 characters that you can switch between them anytime in the game. A thief, a mage and a warrior. Each have their own pros/cons that you need to use to move through each levels.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

9 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

I'm a big fan of point and click style games, puzzle games, especially games with a good story. Have you thought about any games along those lines? It looks like your list is more along the lines of strategy.

Try Beneath a Steel Sky (free on Steam, GOG, etc) which is a wonderful point and click game from the DOS era about overthrowing a fascist computer dictatorship. It recently had a sequel, which is also very good, called Beyond a Steel Sky. All of Revolution Software’s games are good. Another one to try is Lure of the Temptress. https://revolution.co.uk/games/

20 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

Try Beneath a Steel Sky (free on Steam, GOG, etc) which is a wonderful point and click game from the DOS era about overthrowing a fascist computer dictatorship. It recently had a sequel, which is also very good, called Beyond a Steel Sky. All of Revolution Software’s games are good. Another one to try is Lure of the Temptress. https://revolution.co.uk/games/

Woah, I recall this game. I played it when it first came out. Good stuff

18 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

I did enjoy the original, does the GOTY edition bring anything new to the table?

I'm not sure, actually. I bought GOTY edition because it was the version available on Steam, and the Steam version is the closest to what everybody remembers when they hear "PvZ".

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

On 11/12/2022 at 10:23 AM, Radium_Angel said:

Simple Controls, simple UI, easy to play.

I used to love Diablo 1 until high resolution screens put paid to that.

Are you okay with the LEGO aesthetic? They can be fun with open world exploring, though some are a little more linear. Easy to get into and play.

And so many themes,  LEGO Batman, Marvel, Star Wars, Harry Potter... and more if feel you can immerse yourself in those worlds. 

A lot of them go on sale for $5 or less. And the sale seasons are coming.

Diablo 1 :  hmm Torchlight 1 & 2 has a more cartoony, colourful look. But they are fun action rpgs. A few things implemented to improve the experience, like having your pet "go to town" to sell items for you and buy basic healing/supplies.  The first game is single player only, the second one has online multiplayer which is nice.

And yea $4-5 on sale.

And just to throw in something different, Pool Panic.   Copy paste the desc~

Pool Panic is an unconventional billiards game with something new around every corner. It's the world's least realistic pool simulator!

Has a funky looking style, love or hate I guess. Different mechanics pop up as you progress. So it does get challenging, if you want to 100% levels but not necessary. How long to Beat has it at about 7-8hrs. Low commitment game for me, if I have 30-45mins free I might hop on and try to beat a level or two. 

It doesn't seem to go on sale very often. Looks like summer is the big one. I see it has gone down to $3 before, but looks like mostly $6-8 sale.

Ok, i wouldn't say the controls are "simple" but easy enough to learn, and you can kinda take your time (usually) and the game is incredibly fun / tense and absolutely holds up too, and since you've played L4D it's probably up your alley,  i would therefore full heartedly suggest Resident Evil 5.

Thats also because I wasn't a big gamer at the time either, and i actually *hated* the demo (so much lol) but then it just clicked somehow (not even while playing the demo... idk it was weird) and it became one of my fav games (and series) beat it like 50 times probably and well,  its just a really fun "little" game (even though it takes quite a while to beat) 

What i like most about the game is the pacing,  most games have terrible pacing,  this one's perfect. 

One caveat though,  it's a game build around co-op so it really is a lot more fun to play with someone than alone.

Otherwise,  i would also recommend Resident Evil 1 HD remake, its a single player game and almost just as fun as RE5.

And people will probably say the controls suck, or are hard, but that's not true, the controls are *weird* , that's what it is lol and once you get used to them it's fine,  also they simplified the controls for the HD version,  so if the game itself is something you enjoy the controls really shouldn't be a problem (hopefully) Besides,  being weird, they're actually pretty clever too and the whole game is build around them too, btw.

Spoiler

RE1 HD remake

FRNps2lWUAIYNTV.jpeg.jpg.984eed5d8a27ded80d1d8b3568f77fde.jpg

RE5

Sheva-Alomar-resident-evil-5-40438700-540-330.gif.c94ce471c74c681cc46a0553a2912328.gif

neither game has any right to look as good as they do as a bonus imo

ps: also i will say as much as the games are "light-hearted fun" (as far that's possible for a horror game) and the controls are really easy to learn once you got past the "weirdness" (they'really just "different"), the games *are* challenging,  have a lot of puzzles (which most of are simple) but they will take some time to beat the first time around for sure (which is also a plus if you enjoy playing them of course) 

but just as a heads up, they aren't like most games,  they'll make you think a lot and you'll typically always have several choices and ways to do things (for the most part)  which is essentially what makes them so good. : D

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 11/12/2022 at 1:23 PM, Radium_Angel said:

I'd like to find something else to play

My favourite...

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)