This is how AMD wins

AdamFromLTT

While Ryzen 7000 had a slow launch, especially after losing the crown to Intel’s 13th Gen, in the datacenter AMD show’s no signs of slowing down. With the launch of their 4th generation of Epyc CPUs, fully refreshed on the new Zen 4 Architecture promises huge gains in performance, up to 96 cores per CPU, and big improvements to power efficiency. Intel is uhh…. kinda screwed.

Is it, really? Is Intel screwed, really?

What is the market penetration of Epyc CPU's so far? (Honest question, it's not my world so I have no idea.)

My impression is that this is a very "Nobody ever got fired by IBM" kind of situation where clients tend to buy Intel because they're used to buying Intel and are incredibly risk-averse. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

When you a single die for the 128 core bergamont... Are you saying they are going monolithic again or is it something you said wrong and you mean on a single package? 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

When you a single die for the 128 core bergamont... Are you saying they are going monolithic again or is it something you said wrong and you mean on a single package? 

Four 128 core dies on a single package for UNLIMITED POWER.

Finally, AMD proving their efficiency yet again.

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

57 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Is it, really? Is Intel screwed, really?

What is the market penetration of Epyc CPU's so far? (Honest question, it's not my world so I have no idea.)

My impression is that this is a very "Nobody ever got fired by IBM" kind of situation where clients tend to buy Intel because they're used to buying Intel and are incredibly risk-averse. 

AMD server CPU market share:

2017 Q4 = 0.8%
2018 Q4 = 3.2%
2019 Q4 = 3.4%
2020 Q4 = 7.1%
2021 Q4 = 10.7

We don't have 2022 Q4 results yet obviously, but 2022 Q2 share was 11.6%.

Entirely possible they could hit 20% by the end of 2024.

Server adoption is slow, but the main limitation for AMD the past few years has been supply, not demand.

It's definitely not a "nobody ever got fired by IBM" situation anymore, at least not in favour of Intel.
It's more the other way around with the growing need for power efficiency and reducing TCO.

AMD Wins? Intel Wins?

I don't care, all I know is it drives down the cost of older used CPUs as everyone rushes to upgrade to the newest shiny.

And that's a Win for everyone.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

28 minutes ago, Edhellas said:

AMD server CPU market share:

2017 Q4 = 0.8%
2018 Q4 = 3.2%
2019 Q4 = 3.4%
2020 Q4 = 7.1%
2021 Q4 = 10.7

We don't have 2022 Q4 results yet obviously, but 2022 Q2 share was 11.6%.

Entirely possible they could hit 20% by the end of 2024.

Server adoption is slow, but the main limitation for AMD the past few years has been supply, not demand.

It's definitely not a "nobody ever got fired by IBM" situation anymore, at least not in favour of Intel.
It's more the other way around with the growing need for power efficiency and reducing TCO.

Also keep in mind that when we're talking about servers, the existing ones take a really long time to retire, so new adoption is slow indeed as you said. AFAIK, AMD sales has been growing a lot while Intel's have been falling down.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

2 hours ago, Middcore said:

Completely anecdotal, but I've started seeing more EPYC CPUs in newly built servers at work, mostly for newly deployed ESXi hosts in an expanded cluster project that things are being moved to.

It will take time though. Businesses don't update their servers all that often as long as they're still performing the task required. We still have Ivy Bridge era Xeons running strong in production environments.

Sales percentage in the server space for AMD would be the most interesting number I think. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard: B550 AORUS PRO AC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 @3600MT/s | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: Western Digital Black SN750 NVMe 1TB & Samsung SSD 870 QVO 2TB | PSU: Cooler Master V-Series V750 Gold V2 750W | Display(s): MSI Optix MAG342CQR - 1440p144 & 2x 1080p60 | Cooling: Scythe Mugen 5 | Keyboard: Logitech G815 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Sound: Logitech Z906 5.1 Sound System | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

50 minutes ago, BabaGanuche said:

You can really see Intel being squeezed here, literally 

image.png.aeefa9d6cde916edbd03fbdff4a91ea8.png

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

5 minutes ago, ForboJack said:

Sales percentage in the server space for AMD would be the most interesting number I think. 

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

You can really see Intel being squeezed here, literally 

image.png.aeefa9d6cde916edbd03fbdff4a91ea8.png

Look at the above graph and also read the link here

51 minutes ago, BabaGanuche said:

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

This is how you create flame wars and fanboys.

The LTT writers are all over the fucking place with their stance on things, is competition good? or do you want one company to "win"?

get your shit together.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒