LTT on Mastodon

darwin006

Please consider cross posting what you post on Twitter on Mastodon. Thank you.

Isn't a big part of Mastadon's whole thing is that it isn't one site, it's a bunch of servers each with their own management similar to Discord?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

4 minutes ago, darwin006 said:

Please consider cross posting what you post on Twitter on Mastodon. Thank you.

Theres not really a point. Mastadon is not a good platform, its just trying to grab attention and ignore all the pretty standout issues with it. If LTT tried to get on every small platform like it, theyd have to hire so many people.

3 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Isn't a big part of Mastadon's whole thing is that it isn't one site, it's a bunch of servers each with their own management similar to Discord?

They're federated, so people from one instance/server can easily communicate with another.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Its actually not a bad idea. Giving one company all the power and the power to collect all the data was never a good idea. But i must admit, a federated social network comes with its own set of problems. I personally just stay out of them. This forum is the closest i ever got to one.

27 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

Its actually not a bad idea. Giving one company all the power and the power to collect all the data was never a good idea.

This doesn't make sense in the context of what OP is asking. so instead of giving all the data to twitter, they now give all their data to twitter AND mastodon

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

This doesn't make sense in the context of what OP is asking. so instead of giving all the data to twitter, they now give all their data to twitter AND mastodon

Transition has to start somewhere. Even Myspace didn`t die in one day.

I think humanity is just not ready for social media but most of us just decided its important now.

And if we have to have it, it shouldn`t be controlled by a single entity.

At the end of the day, i actually don`t really care. I have never used Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok etc... and most probably never will.

8 hours ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

Its actually not a bad idea. Giving one company all the power and the power to collect all the data was never a good idea. But i must admit, a federated social network comes with its own set of problems. I personally just stay out of them. This forum is the closest i ever got to one.

You don't have any idea of what OP wants or how LMG operates? Your comment makes very little sense as LMG posts just streams on 4 platforms. Plus other content maybe 3x more. Being a media company means that more reach, better.

I've got no idea about this service and how big reach or to what kind of audience it would be to. Like as alternative to Twitter? They have Facebook already for that. Or as another platform like Discord or Facebook? Or even Odysee that has been suggested 3+ times and still no one can give any more reasons than "free speech and censorship".

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

good luck overcoming the network effect

'LMG still is beholden to youtube for the same reason

I am asking LTT to consider cross posting what they already post on Twitter to Mastodon as well because I wish to move away from Twitter and it seems like many other people do as well.

There are already free applications that LTT could use to do this to make it easy on them.

I am not asking LTT or anyone else to stop using Twitter.

Mastodon is much smaller than Twitter but there are big news outlets that post their content there and it seems to have a lot of interest and new growth. And as I already said I am not asking LTT to stop posting on Twitter.

7 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

You don't have any idea of what OP wants or how LMG operates?

I think the post you highlighted/quoted was referring to Twitter, and not to LMG directly.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

8 minutes ago, Sarra said:

I think the post you highlighted/quoted was referring to Twitter, and not to LMG directly.

Still, Twitter is only one among many, and not the biggest of them all even. Facebook is still bigger.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, darwin006 said:

I am asking LTT to consider cross posting what they already post on Twitter to Mastodon as well because I wish to move away from Twitter and it seems like many other people do as well.

Because musk now owns twitter or because it's a toxic pool of sludge? If everyone moves to mastodon, then that just becomes the new sludge pool

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 hours ago, Sarra said:

You are right, i was writing about Twitter and social media in general, not about LMG.

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Still, Twitter is only one among many, and not the biggest of them all even. Facebook is still bigger.

Yes, but all of them are controlled by a single entity and can change course or shut down whenever this entity wants it.

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

Because musk now owns twitter or because it's a toxic pool of sludge? If everyone moves to mastodon, then that just becomes the new sludge pool

And this is why i wrote humanity is not ready for social media. Or the social media we have is not ready for humans. That depends on the perspective. But at least this one wouldn`t be under the umbrella of big companies.

1 minute ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

Yes, but all of them are controlled by a single entity and can change course or shut down whenever this entity wants it.

I just imagined a Harvey Dent (Two Face from the Batman universe) version of Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos, but... It's just two evil sides, there isn't a sane/good side. I'm confused now. 😧

2 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

And this is why i wrote humanity is not ready for social media. Or the social media we have is not ready for humans. That depends on the perspective. But at least this one wouldn`t be under the umbrella of big companies.

It's a question of Moderation.

Moderation where people actually reflect on things before posting them. Making tone reasonable and overall not turning into a living, breathing cesspit before posting things.

Moderation where harmful content is removed. Moderation where others have the power to say 'this is not acceptable, even in the context you posted it'.

And Moderation where people don't spend 80% of their free time, as well as time that should be used for other purposes, screwing around with it.

I personally chose to limit my social media to just YouTube and various forums. I don't have a FaceBook, I don't have a Twitter, IG, or anything else, and I probably won't, at least not as an individual. I might make one for a future YT channel, but it would be a business decision, not a personal one.

8 minutes ago, Sarra said:

It's a question of Moderation.

It totally is and there is the main problem. Who decides what is OK and what isn`t?  At least with a decentralized system there is the chance for some stability of that, and some influence for the people who use it, to decide that. With these centralized systems, they can change whatever they want, whenever they want it. So if anybody buys it, they rule. If they choose to delete all of it and switch the servers off, all is gone.

35 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

But at least this one wouldn`t be under the umbrella of big companies

Twitter isn't a cesspool because it's owned by "Twitter inc". It's a cesspool because of its users.  Twitter didn't start off as a big company, they started off as a small one and became big, something mastodon is also liable to become.

13 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

At least with a decentralized system there is the chance for some stability of that, and some influence for the people who use it, to decide that.

No there isn't, all you get are echo chambers where each group of people bans or silences those they don't like or don't agree with.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

8 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

It totally is and there is the main problem. Who decides what is OK and what isn`t?  At least with a decentralized system there is the chance for some stability of that, and some influence for the people who use it, to decide that. With these centralized systems, they can change whatever they want, whenever they want it. So if anybody buys it, they rule. If they choose to delete all of it and switch the servers off, all is gone.

Mastodon servers are setup by each person who wants to play moderator, it's like yahoo groups with the userbase paying for hosting.

24 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

I have some past experience with moderation. I ran an Anime forum that was open to kids of all ages, as well as adults. Choosing moderators from the community made it extremely easy to keep the forums clean of anything inappropriate. Having clear set rules also helped. The rules were defined. This forum wasn't small, at the high point, we had something like 10,000 active users a day, and the moderation staff was pretty large, I think I had 20 or so moderators. Problems were dealt with quickly and easily. This would NEVER have been possible without volunteer moderators, and guess what, large platforms prefer to use algorithms to moderate instead of humans; they prefer to not have clearly defined rules, and instead of a 'jury of your peers', they have to pay people to act as moderators in extreme cases.

Another instance was an MMORPG I used to play. You could pay and get a consumable item that would allow you to chat out to the entire server. These items were quite inexpensive, a pack of 10 was like $0.08 or something. People would spend the entire day blasting out chat messages that ignored or dodged the swear filter, racist, homophobic, transphobic, or otherwise ugly stuff, and unless one of the like 4 GM's was online, it NEVER got dealt with. It became such a problem that certain words were simply added to the swear filter, and they went so ham-fisted with it, that there were several dozen people who had their accounts actually get banned from chatting because they got caught up in the swear filter. The company refused to allow community moderation, even of the chat system, so in the end, it remained a toxic hellscape of stupidity. There was a problem, they never were even remotely interested in a fix. (It did NOT help that one of the company employees logged in his Admin account while drunk AF, and started spawning random crap in the middle of the largest city on ALL 7 servers, it was pandemonium. And more hilarious than I can ever put in words. And the employee got fired, sadly. Only half-decent Admin/GM got fired for that, and soon after, the Chinese company that owned the rights to the game clamped down HARD on the remaining staff, neutering their ability to moderate even more, and leading to the playerbase to drop so much that they merged the servers from 7 down to just 3.)

23 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Twitter isn't a cesspool because it's owned by "Twitter inc". It's a cesspool because of its users.  Twitter didn't start off as a big company, they started off as a small one and became big, something mastodon is also liable to become.

Actually its not. Its free software and decentrally hosted. So even if the current main developer dies or tries to do anything bad to it, it will just be forked and taken over by anybody else. He literally has no control over how this software is used.

29 minutes ago, Arika S said:

No there isn't, all you get are echo chambers where each group of people bans or silences those they don't like or don't agree with.

Thats a problem we already have with all social media. At least with software like Mastodon there is a slight chance to change that.

15 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

At least with software like Mastodon there is a slight chance to change that

How?

They are separate servers moderated by different people with different values and opinions.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, Arika S said:

How?

They are separate servers moderated by different people with different values and opinions.

You can either choose which ones you look at or find somebody you trust with the moderation. The point is, there is more than one way to moderate what you see. And you get to choose which, not the company.You can even use more than one and broaden your personal echo chamber as much as you want.

10 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

You can even use more than one and broaden your personal echo chamber as much as you want.

People don't do that. People don't want their views and opinions challenged, they want to feel like they are right and be around People who will reaffirm them. Discord has been around for years, full of little echo chambers. 

It's nice in theory, but it will never be how you describe it in reality

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

People don't do that. People don't want their views and opinions challenged, they want to feel like they are right and be around People who will reaffirm them. Discord has been around for years, full of little echo chambers. 

It's nice in theory, but it will never be how you describe it in reality

You might be right, bu thats not a platform problem, but a people problem and at least with this platform there is a possibility to change this. And i think a possibility is better than none.