LTT keeps disrespecting trackball mice, do you guys use one?

IRMacGuyver

Just finished the radom PC live stream and Linus and team once again trash on the trackball mouse from the short circuit.  I get it trackballs kinda suck to get used to and don't work at all for FPS games.  I mean does anyone here actually use one for that?  Cause what they're meant for is strategy games.  Being such a huge fan of Anno 1800 Linus should at least give it a shot.  I used to use one for Black & White and the game Z.  In my opinion that's where they shine and they make interacting with those sorts of games much more intuitive than a normal mouse.  Or am I the only one that actual has experience with them like that?  

No. There is a good reason they got left behind nearly 2 decades ago at this point, they are shit. Yes in a extremely specific use-case they can be somewhat helpful, but that doesnt change the fact that for pretty much everyone else they are pretty awful. 

You may enjoy them and that is fine, but dont act like they arent a complete niche product at this point.

53 minutes ago, IRMacGuyver said:

Just finished the radom PC live stream and Linus and team once again trash on the trackball mouse from the short circuit.  I get it trackballs kinda suck to get used to and don't work at all for FPS games.  I mean does anyone here actually use one for that?  Cause what they're meant for is strategy games.  Being such a huge fan of Anno 1800 Linus should at least give it a shot.  I used to use one for Black & White and the game Z.  In my opinion that's where they shine and they make interacting with those sorts of games much more intuitive than a normal mouse.  Or am I the only one that actual has experience with them like that?  

I love strategy game.
And I still rather use standard mouse over a trackball. 🤣

I do kinda miss mine sometimes though, for when I am lazy browsing. Like, too lazy to even move my wrist.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

16 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

No. There is a good reason they got left behind nearly 2 decades ago at this point, they are shit.

They weren't left behind. They're still around, and there are plenty of modern options to choose from. Here's one from Logitech:

6440330_sd.thumb.jpg.2eb927ae94a99a8c5d14ff5f6fc1de06.jpg

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

1 hour ago, IRMacGuyver said:

I know someone who swears by one and I just use the Razer Naga Chroma we have lying around lol. trackball mice are terrible

9 hours ago, IRMacGuyver said:

I use the logitech mx ergo plus

10 hours ago, IRMacGuyver said:

Or am I the only one that actual has experience with them like that?  

I got the OG Microsoft Trackball Explorer that came out years ago for free because a "button wasn't working". Turns out, it's fully functional. I used it for a long time and stopped using it and went back to a mouse with a ball in it, before the optical ones we see today. 

I haven't used it in so long that I won't be good with using it for games, except for daily use on the Internet/surfing LTT forum. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

I would rather use a nipple than a touchpad, and I'd rather use a touchpad over a trackball.

Dang. Now I want to find a keyboard with a nipple that's not part of a laptop. o.x;

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

6 hours ago, Sarra said:

I would rather use a nipple than a touchpad, and I'd rather use a touchpad over a trackball.

Dang. Now I want to find a keyboard with a nipple that's not part of a laptop. o.x;

Lenovo has made various standalone keyboards with the ThinkPad style nipple and buttons. I use one for PC connected to the TV in my den.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

29 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Lenovo has made various standalone keyboards with the ThinkPad style nipple and buttons. I use one for PC connected to the TV in my den.

Yep... I'm considering one of them, I would like a TKL with mechanical switches, but being honest with myself, I'll probably have to compromise. Unless I can find a stand alone TrackPoint(TM) option that isn't a DIY project. I'll probably just get one of the ThinkPad Keyboards (I think they're even called that lol).

7 minutes ago, Sarra said:

Yep... I'm considering one of them, I would like a TKL with mechanical switches, but being honest with myself, I'll probably have to compromise. Unless I can find a stand alone TrackPoint(TM) option that isn't a DIY project. I'll probably just get one of the ThinkPad Keyboards (I think they're even called that lol).

Tex makes some interesting mechanical keyboards with nipples

9 minutes ago, Sarra said:

Yeah the one I have is the ThinkPad Trackpoint Keyboard II. Wireless with USB-C charging. It's nice. Not cheap compared to the various junk Logitech wireless media keyboards though.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

3 minutes ago, person123456789 said:

Tex makes some interesting mechanical keyboards with nipples

I will look into this! Thank you.

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Yeah the one I have is the ThinkPad Trackpoint Keyboard II. Wireless with USB-C charging. It's nice. Not cheap compared to the various junk Logitech wireless media keyboards though.

I'm not opposed to a membrane entirely, I just wanted something more compact. It'll be for my Steam Deck and a minisforum mini-PC. I'm going to keep thinking about it, I like to wait for purchases that change my overall setup (I debated for 3 weeks before buying a Glorious Model D Minus Wireless, and after getting it, immediately bought a second Wired on for my server/YT watching machine).

On 11/7/2022 at 10:34 PM, Poinkachu said:

Like, too lazy to even move my wrist.

This is legit why I get pissed at Alex for praising large track pads.  Like shut up already! all that space is wasted cause I only use my finger and don't wanna move that much.  Now where's my mt dew and doritos 

On 11/9/2022 at 3:50 PM, Sarra said:

https://drop.com/buy/tex-yoda?mode=guest_open

EDIT hey look this guy modded his own trackpoint stick into his keyboard
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMgk7SSL-7xT8hs_-UaQU8aEJsY65ZKUS9qH40g3WNZh_8N7zUz3JCzb3idaden0A?pli=1&key=SGx3cy1HLWtQdngtOFdFSU1pRGVqelJPVUYzel9B

On 11/9/2022 at 9:03 AM, Sarra said:

I used to be that way 17 years ago.  I don't know what happened buy I guess I got used to the trackpad and finally gave up on the nipple.  I have an HP with the trackpoint thing and I hardly ever use it.  I mostly got used to it cause my first computer was a gateway laptop that had one.  I eventually wore through the rubber and had to replace it. I would play Doom using just the nipple.  No mouse at all. 

9 hours ago, IRMacGuyver said:

This is legit why I get pissed at Alex for praising large mouse pads.  Like shut up already! all that space is wasted cause I only use my finger and don't wanna move that much.  Now where's my mt dew and doritos 

Eh well, different people different needs I guess.

I mainly wield my mouse with a hybrid between finger & claw, so I don't need much mousepad real estate.
But palm user and/or low dpi people might need more than I do.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

On 11/7/2022 at 11:30 PM, Shimejii said:

No. There is a good reason they got left behind nearly 2 decades ago at this point, they are shit. Yes in a extremely specific use-case they can be somewhat helpful, but that doesnt change the fact that for pretty much everyone else they are pretty awful. 

You may enjoy them and that is fine, but dont act like they arent a complete niche product at this point.

Entire industries use them. Judging by the sheer number of options available on Amazon and the tens of thousands of reviews left on popular models, one would assume that large swathes of people also prefer them for regular use.

Your subjective preference doesn't dictate reality for the rest of the world.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

10 hours ago, IRMacGuyver said:

This is legit why I get pissed at Alex for praising large mouse pads.  Like shut up already! all that space is wasted cause I only use my finger and don't wanna move that much.  Now where's my mt dew and doritos 

large mousepads are good for competitive gaming

On 11/12/2022 at 9:27 AM, person123456789 said:

large mousepads are good for competitive gaming

If you can't set up a mouse you shouldn't be playing competitive games. 
EDIT I meant track pads not mouse pads.  I just noticed the mistake. 

On 11/12/2022 at 8:07 AM, Poinkachu said:

Eh well, different people different needs I guess.

I mainly wield my mouse with a hybrid between finger & claw, so I don't need much mousepad real estate.
But palm user and/or low dpi people might need more than I do.

I don't know why I said mouse pads.  I meant track pads.  

On 11/12/2022 at 7:33 AM, lw88 said:

At the moment I play on 800 dpi, but was playing on 450 for a while. Large mouse pads were a must during that time. It's a great thing because it works for low sensitivity and high. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean it isn't convenient.

I meant trackpad.  I can't stand large trackpads.  They take up too much space and you don't even use the entire thing. 

14 hours ago, lw88 said:

This makes me think maybe you meant what you said originally and changed it.

Anywho that's also a bit of an elitist thing to say. People can play comp games if they aren't tech savvy.

No I thought you were suggesting people played competitive games with just their trackpad.  I mean yeah I've gamed on a trackpad but you can't be competitive.

On 11/19/2022 at 2:09 AM, IRMacGuyver said:

If you can't set up a mouse you shouldn't be playing competitive games. 
EDIT I meant track pads not mouse pads.  I just noticed the mistake. 

yeah, don't use trackpad for gaming

On 11/8/2022 at 8:42 AM, person123456789 said:

I use the logitech mx ergo plus

great mouse, I had one but dropped it. Out of warranty 😞