Loud case fans after my 1st pc build (fractal torrent)

Epsolon

Hello! I recently finished my very first (stressful) PC build, however there is still one issue and I have no clue what causes it or how I can solve it. I searched on the internet but not really anything stood out as something useful. Since this is my first build there is of course a chance that I just messed up somewhere while building it. So, my issue, there is a lot of fan noise coming from my case (Fractal Torrent) as if the fans are spinning at max speeds (~50 dB). Based on reviews of the case it should only get this loud when temps are getting very high. I already contacted Fractal customer support but since I don't know how long it will take to receive a reply or if they even know the issue I thought I might as well also try to ask here.

Below some specifications regarding the issue:

- I let the fans run for over 10 hours now. No noise improvements.

- Try wiggle the case fans to see if any of them are loose, they all seem to be screwed in well, no wiggles.

- All 5 case fans are connected to the case's fan hub, from header FAN1 to 5 (according to the manual fan 1 decides the behavior of the other fans connected to the hub). Fan hub is connected to the motherboard (Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero) in fan header "chassis 2".

- No adjustments were made to the fans or fan hub.

- Using the bios fan curve control, I set the fan speeds at 20% lowest possible up to 30C degrees. According to monitoring software my case fans are turning at 500 rpm minimum.

- After some testing, it seems that the 2 180mm case fans are quiet. The noise only appeared when I used the 3 140mm fans in the bottom of the case.

- I hovered my hand over all 3 bottom fans. The front and back fans were turning, but I didn't feel any air getting blown out on both sides. The middle fan however was blowing a lot of air, as if it was running at max speed.

It seems the middle bottom fan is possible the culprit, however I don't know what's causing it to behave differently from the other fans when they are all connected to the same fan hub. Any help or suggestions are highly appreciated! I put a HWMonitor screenshot (while idle) in the attachments in case that gives any information.

HWMonitor.png

12 minutes ago, Epsolon said:

FAN1 to 5 (according to the manual fan 1 decides the behavior of the other fans connected to the hub). Fan hub is connected to the motherboard (Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero) in fan header "chassis 2".

- Using the bios fan curve control, I set the fan speeds at 20% lowest possible up to 30C degrees. According to monitoring software my case fans are turning at 500 rpm minimum.

- I hovered my hand over all 3 bottom fans. The front and back fans were turning, but I didn't feel any air getting blown out on both sides. The middle fan however was blowing a lot of air, as if it was running at max speed.

I would double check the connection for that middle fan (Logically, it would be Fan #4 on the header, assuming 1&2 are the two 180mm's and #3 is the front 140mm). The manual is correct in that the Pulse Width Modulation signal (that 4th pin on the Fan connector) only comes from 1 fan, and it uses that signal to control all 5 fans. It seems that Fan #4 for some reason is not getting the signal to slow down, and therefore runs at max speed. 

1. Try unplugging and replugging that fan within the same header. Examine the port on the fan hub and the connector itself to see if there's any irregularities (a bent pin, the plug was plugged in wrong, there's damage along the wire going to the fan)
  2. If the problem persists and the fan hub connector, wire and plug are in good condition, switch the fan with another one of the 140mm plugs, and see if the max fan speed stays with the fan, or affects the fan plugged into the same header as fan #4. You can then determine if you have a faulty fan, or a faulty hub. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

29 minutes ago, Epsolon said:

Hello! I recently finished my very first (stressful) PC build, however there is still one issue and I have no clue what causes it or how I can solve it. I searched on the internet but not really anything stood out as something useful. Since this is my first build there is of course a chance that I just messed up somewhere while building it. So, my issue, there is a lot of fan noise coming from my case (Fractal Torrent) as if the fans are spinning at max speeds (~50 dB). Based on reviews of the case it should only get this loud when temps are getting very high. I already contacted Fractal customer support but since I don't know how long it will take to receive a reply or if they even know the issue I thought I might as well also try to ask here. ...

Another option is to NOT use the included Fan hub and connect all the Fans directly to headers on the motherboard. That way you can control each fan individually and see the fan speed for each in HWinfo and other monitoring utilities.

Or try connecting the two front fans to CPU_OPT and Chassis2 and use the integrated FAN controller for the 3 bottom fans and connect it to Chassis3 to control them as one unit.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

Thank you for the suggestions! I just tried the following:

- Reconnect the loud fan into the same hub header --> still loud

- Connected a "normal" fan into the hub header of the loud fan --> no issues

- Connect the loud fan into a different hub header --> still loud

- Connect the loud fan into a chassis fan header on the motherboard --> still loud.

It's hard to see if there is something wrong inside the plug since its covered in plastic, but based on this I think it's safe to say that the loud fan is simply defect and that I should replace it?

8 minutes ago, Epsolon said:

Thank you for the suggestions! I just tried the following:

- Reconnect the loud fan into the same hub header --> still loud

- Connected a "normal" fan into the hub header of the loud fan --> no issues

- Connect the loud fan into a different hub header --> still loud

- Connect the loud fan into a chassis fan header on the motherboard --> still loud.

It's hard to see if there is something wrong inside the plug since its covered in plastic, but based on this I think it's safe to say that the loud fan is simply defect and that I should replace it?

Sounds like the PWM input is defective on that fan. So yes - I'd replace it or contact Fractal for a warranty replacement.

If the noise is annoying you could just leave it disconnected for now as long as the temperatures during gaming are OK.

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

Is it loud like full speed loud, or is there another problem?

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

It was indeed a fan that was spinning faster than it should. I disconnected the fan for now and increased the rpm of the other fans by a little to make up for the other fan (my gpu does get a bit hotter now that there isn't a fan blowing against it at max power :P). I contacted Fractal customer support and they said they would send me a replacement fan within a few days. As long as installing the new fan won't cause any more issues then this problem can be considered resolved. Thank you all for the help, I learned that broken parts can also be a reason why something doesn't work as intended. 😀