quote vs. edit buttons

heimdali

Hi,

would it be possible to move the edit button to a more distinct location, like to the top instead of the bottom?

It's so easy to hit the quote button instead of the edit button and when you confused the buttons and sent your "edit", you end up with a reply you can't even delete.  And I use the edit button way more often than the quote button and it happens all the time that I click the wrong one without me noticing.

Never had a problem before. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

If anything: "report" should get a new position. The number of times I've gone to edit or quote and hit report instead is significantly non-zero. The number of time quote and edit have been mistakenly pressed for each other while also non-zero, I cannot think of the last time it happened.

I wouldn't mind if all the buttons got better placement.  Having them all together in the same row where they are easy to confuse is not ideal.

Maybe place the quote button left and the edit button right on the bottom and the rest of them into a drop-down menu where the USB button is for the rare instances when you need the other functions?  And make them different colours, red for quote and blue for edit ...  Why are they all gray anyway.

2 hours ago, heimdali said:

you end up with a reply you can't even delete

You should be able to delete it - on all platforms, the trash can icon should clear the editor, and on all platforms except android (because reasons) you should be able to delete the quote using backspace.

Would it help if the buttons were spaced a bit further apart? I've got to say, this isn't a problem I've run into before.

HTTP/2 203

1 hour ago, heimdali said:

And make them different colours, red for quote and blue for edit ...  Why are they all gray anyway.

Oh, yes. because having UI look like every iPhone ever wasn't enough. We need more RGB.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

47 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

You should be able to delete it - on all platforms, the trash can icon should clear the editor, and on all platforms except android (because reasons) you should be able to delete the quote using backspace.

Would it help if the buttons were spaced a bit further apart? I've got to say, this isn't a problem I've run into before.

Let me test this ...

Yeah, there's a trash icon (which I didn't notice) and it removes the text from input field.  But when I click on the trash icon and then Submit Reply, it says I can't post empty content.  Is there a delete button somewhere?

So how do I delete a post?  Maybe you can do that being a moderator; I don't see how I could.

14 minutes ago, heimdali said:

Yeah, there's a trash icon (which I didn't notice) and it removes the text from input field.  But when I click on the trash icon and then Submit Reply, it says I can't post empty content.  Is there a delete button somewhere?

Why are you trying to post empty content? I thought the issue was ending up with quotes you didn't want you couldn't get rid of. 

14 minutes ago, heimdali said:

So how do I delete a post?  Maybe you can do that being a moderator; I don't see how I could.

Users can't delete their own posts. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

27 minutes ago, heimdali said:

You don't need to submit your post after removing all the content, you simply just walk away(figuratively) after deleting all the text. The post will then cease to exist, like it never existed in the first place....

Moderators can delete posts after they've been made, but if you never make the post, nothing has to be deleted.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

11 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Why are you trying to post empty content? I thought the issue was ending up with quotes you didn't want you couldn't get rid of. 

I'm not trying to post empty content.  I accidentially hit the Quote instead of the Edit button way too often and then submit what I think is the edited version.  Once submitted, it creates a new reply, and I can't delete it.  So if the buttons were placed better and be coloured, I might not accidentially hit the wrong button and wouldn't need to try to delete my unwanted posts.

11 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Users can't delete their own posts. 

Ah, yes, that's what I found when I tried, lol 🙂

5 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

You don't need to submit your post after removing all the content, you simply just walk away(figuratively) after deleting all the text. The post will then cease to exist, like it never existed in the first place....

Ok let me try that.  How long does it take before it's deleted?

Just now, heimdali said:

false edit test blah ...

Just now, heimdali said:

It's instant.

Just delete all the text in your accidental post before submitting it, then click just about anywhere else on the site. When you come back, that post will not exist.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

See, I doesn't go away when I walk away ...

I edited the test and clicked on the trash icon and switched to another thread and when I came back here, the test is still there, unchanged.  That makes sense because I didn't send it.

PS @Crunchy Dragon

It's what I did.  Did I do it wrong?

Just now, heimdali said:

See, I doesn't go away when I walk away ...

I edited the test and clicked on the trash icon and switched to another thread and when I came back here, the test is still there, unchanged.  That makes sense because I didn't send it.

You did send it, that's why it's there.

Quote this post, delete all the text in the editor, then DON'T hit "submit reply". That post will not exist when you come back.

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

You did send it, that's why it's there.

Quote this post, delete all the text in the editor, then DON'T hit "submit reply". That post will not exist when you come back.

Ah, yes, right.  The difference is that when I don't submit it, it goes away.  Once I submitted it, the accidental post stays and I can't delete it.  It happens and I'm trying to avoid it and better placement of the buttons might help a lot.

I quote a lot and edit practically every post, cause i'm dyslexic, never had this issue

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

3 minutes ago, heimdali said:

Ah, yes, right.  The difference is that when I don't submit it, it goes away.  Once I submitted it, the accidental post stays and I can't delete it.

Correct, you're not required to hit "submit reply" on every single thing entered into the text editor.

You can avoid having accidental posts when trying to edit by not submitting them.

Well, ok, look at the buttons: Quote and edit are right besides each other.  I can understand how that makes sense to who designed/programmed it, while it's not ideal for the users.  And icons mean nothing to me, maybe you could say that I'm kinda visiually dislexic.  I found that out a long time ago when I wanted to learn a card game and I gave up because it took only a few minutes until I couldn't tell the cards apart anymore because they looked all the some to me.  If I strained myself, I can tell them apart, but the other players would have to be incredibly patient and there's no point because it's too exhausting and no fun.

9 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Correct, you're not required to hit "submit reply" on every single thing entered into the text editor.

You can avoid having accidental posts when trying to edit by not submitting them.

That's exactly what I'm trying.  Sometimes I hit Reply instead of Edit and Submit without realising that I'm replying instead of editing and then it's too late because I can't delete the post then.

And even I didn't have this problem, wouldn't it be better to give the buttons better placement and to colour them?  At least colouring them can't be too difficult, can it.