Apple's New MacBook Air Is Its Cheapest One Ever

megadarkwood

It's cheaper than most ultrabooks in the US.

i dont think most  people will notice the difference actually. at that price its pretty good, it'll be around £800-£900 in the UK depending on retailer and VAT. its good. but for £200 more, i could buy a gaming gigabyte ultrabook.

For the 11 inch, the 13 inch is 1440x900.

Source

With the Macbook Pro 'retina', the 13 inch is 2560x1600 and the 15 inch is 2800x1800. That is the reason I want the laptop, that and the design.

Source

I don't think Apple are impressed with the Air displays either, they only quote the PPI on the Macbook Pros. :)

hm well i dont think i personally would mind the res thatr much. i might get at it in the future,. but i never owned an apple product. hmmm.

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

It's a toss-up between this and the surface pro 2.

Can you replace the SSD yourself?

Yes., although it is not a conventional 2.5" form factor, I believe it's a PCIE SSD. Either way, you can upgrade yourself still. Have a look:

8vccC.jpg

hm well i dont think i personally would mind the res thatr much. i might get at it in the future,. but i never owned an apple product. hmmm.

There is a possibility of a retina MBA in the future :)

"Best notebook on the market". It has 4GB of ram and a 128GB SSD. I'm not even going near that thing.

moar power plz.

And for most people thats plenty. 

In the ultrabook space this is competitive. Its battery life is absolutely killer. 

Apple actually has a compelling and competitively priced product and people still need a reason to crap on it. 

Sure it's less expensive, still crappy specs

Of course handy for simple things such as browsing

Still beats pretty much everything out there

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

Wonder when Mac OS will get a touchscreen update?

Surprising they haven't done that and charged up the ***hole for it at this point

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

Its actually pretty good for my use, but after I upgrade it to 8GB (4 is just too low if I plan to run a VM for simultaneous OS X and Windows), and upgrade to 512GB SSD (because 256 is too small)... and after I add in 3yr appleCare...

it's at $2000 USD.

oh look, shipping is free though

*It is enticing but I need a beefier and less costly laptop.

Wonder when Mac OS will get a touchscreen update?

Surprising they haven't done that and charged up the ***hole for it at this point

Even if they did, it'd still be free. Mac OSX, just like iOS, updates will be free from now on starting from OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)

And for most people thats plenty. 

In the ultrabook space this is competitive. Its battery life is absolutely killer. 

Apple actually has a compelling and competitively priced product and people still need a reason to crap on it. 

I'll crap on any $900 computer with a 128gb ssd and 4gb of ram, holy shit.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

Makes a good ultrabook alternative that is cheaper than most of them. The battery life is the only appeal I have of it.

Still wish it had a higher resolution. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

I'll crap on any $900 computer with a 128gb ssd and 4gb of ram, holy shit.

Oh, so you're one of those kinds of PC owners who think the amount of specs directly relates to how big your cock is? 

Well, as you were. 

Its a better value than all the ultrabooks. Lol

It really is. Everyone is coming here with an apple bashing mindset, yet they don't realize how good the specs are for the money. 10+ hours of battery life? shit that's better than most ultrabooks out there, if not all. Not to say this is the case for all their products though, the mac pro is still garbage, but I'll be damned if anyone else denies that this is a good value.

Praise Duarte!

Oh, so you're one of those kinds of PC owners who think the amount of specs directly relates to how big your cock is? 

Well, as you were. 

No, I just like to play games on the go.

Also, If I buy a laptop for $900, it better not be close to a downgrade from my $450 laptop.

Also, If I buy a laptop for $900, it better not be close to a downgrade from my $450 laptop.

Then you're in a different target group. There are advantages to having a macbook air, which is in the same class as ultrabooks, which is mainly longevity. You want to do work? The specs on the macbook air and ultrabooks are more than powerful enough to let you do much of the work you could do on your desktop (of course it'll be slower, but since when does 'slower' translate to 'slow'?), and it'll last you the whole day. Which is more than what can be said for your "gaming laptops". 5 hours of screen time is a miracle on any gaming laptop. Compare that to the 10+ hours of battery life you get with this. It's targeted towards different people.

Praise Duarte!

So which 450 dollar laptop do you have that has stronger real world specs than this, and which laptop is it that can game on the go? And offer all the same specs? And the same screen? And the same portability? And the same battery life? 

this wonder laptop better be the greatest thing since fucking sliced bread.

Then you're in a different target group. There are advantages to having a macbook air, which is in the same class as ultrabooks, which is mainly longevity. You want to do work? The specs on the macbook air and ultrabooks are more than powerful enough to let you do much of the work you could do on your desktop (of course it'll be slower, but since when does 'slower' translate to 'slow'?), and it'll last you the whole day. Which is more than what can be said for your "gaming laptops". 5 hours of screen time is a miracle on any gaming laptop. Compare that to the 10+ hours of battery life you get with this. It's targeted towards different people.

I'm not a fan of gaming laptops either, they are too big. They just need to bring out some middle of the road stuff. It seems that its either full on gaming laptop or light slow ultrabooks.

So which 450 dollar laptop do you have that has stronger real world specs than this, and which laptop is it that can game on the go? And offer all the same specs? And the same screen? And the same portability? And the same battery life? 

this wonder laptop better be the greatest thing since fucking sliced bread.

Its an Asus k55n, which obviously not the best thing out there, the screen is just the regular 1366x768 and has an A8 in it. I'd say that the CPU on the macbook is faster, but the gpu is probably either on par or slower than my old trinity A8. Battery Life? don't care. I'm plugged in when I'm doing thing intensive on the hardware. 

I didn't say it was a downgrade, but come on, I use more than 4gb of ram on this lower end laptop on a regular basis. 128GB of storage is NOTHING, seriously, I can't fit half my music on it.

When they put a touchscreen on the air, I'll seriously consider buying one.

Then Bootcamp Win 8.1? 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Its an Asus k55n, which obviously not the best thing out there, the screen is just the regular 1366x768 and has an A8 in it. I'd say that the CPU on the macbook is faster, but the gpu is probably either on par or slower than my old trinity A8. Battery Life? don't care. I'm plugged in when I'm doing thing intensive on the hardware. 

I didn't say it was a downgrade, but come on, I use more than 4gb of ram on this lower end laptop on a regular basis. 128GB of storage is NOTHING, seriously, I can't fit half my music on it.

Okay, so for reasons that don't even fit your usage pattern you want to crap on a product that isn't even aimed at you? 

In other words, hating for the sake of hating? 

Okay, so for reasons that don't even fit your usage pattern you want to crap on a product that isn't even aimed at you? 

In other words, hating for the sake of hating? 

What? I can't dislike a product? Sorry for having an opinion.

not in canada i take this http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_369&item_id=064266

anytime over an istuff,,,, im not starting a war just saying :)

Well forst of all, that doesnt seem to be an ultrabook, so your argument is invalid. And secondly, that things battery life will be crushed by the macbook air. The macbooks air is a really competetive ultrabook. Theres probably only a handful with the same value.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

Don't forget that you'll have better after-sales support too than most other companies...