OnePlus 10 Pro & the normal Pixel 7 are at the same price - which would you pick?

Hello!

In my country, I can get both these phones brand new for the same price.

I'd like to know you enlightened opinions on this matter.

BBK products any day over anything Sony or Pixel.

I've seen a Realme X2 Pro (my phone) thrown to the ground a million times, it was full of shatter yet was working completely properly.

Mine, on the other hand, has seen 3 years of usage at full performance mode + 90 Hz, battery still lasts numerous days. Performance is still high with Malwarebytes forcing everything on. They really make some of the best phones out there. In fact, I for one think they make the best phones.

17 minutes ago, 7412 said:

Hello!

In my country, I can get both these phones brand new for the same price.

I'd like to know you enlightened opinions on this matter.

Spec-wise the OnePlus 10 Pro wins, as it's faster and boasts a nicer display... but if I'm honest, I'd go with the Pixel 7. I prefer Google's 'purer' take on Android, and the camera quality will generally be better.

1 minute ago, Commodus said:

Spec-wise the OnePlus 10 Pro wins, as it's faster and boasts a nicer display... but if I'm honest, I'd go with the Pixel 7. I prefer Google's 'purer' take on Android, and the camera quality will generally be better.

Not exactly true, the cameras will be indistinguishable likely at times. Well maybe the Google cam is a bit better, but the OP cam ain't significantly worse by any means. Sharp seems to have some of the best lenses on some of their phones if you're into camera. But like, a real camera is going to perform better either way...

and the OP 10 is a lot better phone lol. It doesn't have a worked on P-OLED display, remember early P-OLEDs sucked bad. It hits 1 million mark on Antutu, while the Google phone it 800k. It has a 120 Hz display. It has better everything hardware.

The OS is great too... no change you'd see me using the Google on this comparison.

The Pixel, for it's update policy, if nothing else. Vanilla Android is also a plus for me. Don't care about benchmark specs, since I don't game on my smartphone.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

The Pixel, for it's update policy, if nothing else. Vanilla Android is also a plus for me. Don't care about benchmark specs, since I don't game on my smartphone.

Oneplus is solid with software updates... it's not as vanilla, but still. Benchmark specs translate to real world performance, when you do a Malwarebytes scan, the Oneplus will do it better. Most things on Android are CODED for the Snapdragon CPU and GPU. Not Apple, not Google or not even Mediatek Dimensity which is an amazing SKU on the high end. Games run the best, several apps run the best on Snapdragon because of the coding involved. Which takes us to this very point of Oneplus edging it out.

Just now, Motifator said:

Oneplus is solid with software updates... it's not as vanilla, but still.

From what I've seen, they guarantee three years of updates and four years of security updates. The Pixel 7 gets 3+5. That's what I care about.

As I said, I don't game on my phone. I mostly use it to browse the web, send instant messages and use some other apps that are not performance sensitive. So I really don't care about performance on that level. Never seen the need for a malware scanner for my phone. I don't install random apps or use it to transport files to systems that are susceptible to viruses.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

14 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

From what I've seen, they guarantee three years of updates and four years of security updates. The Pixel 7 gets 3+5. That's what I care about.

As I said, I don't game on my phone. I mostly use it to browse the web, send instant messages and use some other apps that are not performance sensitive. So I really don't care about performance on that level. Never seen the need for a malware scanner for my phone. I don't install random apps or use it to transport files to systems that are susceptible to viruses.

Well I take it you're buying a top end phone, you're buying it for the performance, no? You could as well get something with a 778+ and the Cortex A78 cores are quite amazing for a mid range phone that costs 1/3 of what these phones do... so why are you buying the top dog again? If you're doing it for show-off, there is no point as you'd know.

Snapdragon usually keeps the same logic for the Adreno GPU and the Cortex CPU cores, for instance... you have a Snapdragon X CPU that is 10 nanometer process node, then you move up to Snapdragon Y CPU with 7nm node, the difference is clock speeds, lower power consumption - whatnot. For the coder of the app, this makes things simple. As a matter of fact, many old Androids used the Qualcomm Snapdragon. This is what set the standards for those games. Apps included, lots of them in fact.

Using a non-standard CPU such as a Google in your phone leads to more potential issues with abnormal APKs, and less performance as seen on this very comparison. Phone viruses are also galore nowadays. I can't see myself running my X2 Pro without an AV anymore actually.

Interesting takes, thanks for the feedback.

@Motifator - if you had to buy a OnePlus, would you pick the 10 Pro now or wait a few months for the OnePlus 11 to launch?

15 minutes ago, 7412 said:

Interesting takes, thanks for the feedback.

@Motifator - if you had to buy a OnePlus, would you pick the 10 Pro now or wait a few months for the OnePlus 11 to launch?

I mean I would need a lot more cash than what I have now to afford that kind of phone. Granted, nowadays I'm getting some significant payments from selling couple of my old big toys, but still. I'm not so much in the mentality to blow $1500 on a phone. For sober fact, my flagship Realme, which is made by the same company cost me $500 or so.

I'd choose the pixel personally. My OnePlus 7 Pro seems to be forgotten by them by now and the last software updates i got for were unstable.

Pixel all day, OnePlus have really fallen off a cliff, the software is just bad now since they merged it with Oppo and if you care about camera at all there’s no comparison.