Disabling second internal HDD for random backup - good/bad idea?

Bender Blues

W10:

Second drive is just for storing torrents and files that I use once a week, when its time to stash.

Is it a good idea to just take the drive offline, only to enable when needed? Not interested in physically disconnecting or BIOS disabling. 

My logic is - why have the drive drawing power and spinning 24hours a day when it doesn't need to. 

And the drive not needing to be there for a defrag, scan etc. Ya I can disable per drive in software as you go, thought this would be easier. 

Thank You!

ps: and maybe how to enable it after disabling, is it just a matter of going back into device manager, chose drive, then drivers tab and enable?

** Here on the West Coast USA **

If the drive is not being used for the OS and no apps are installed on it then inactivity will cause windows to automatically turn off the drive until you request access to it.

You'll probably notice that the drive takes a while to spin back up when you attempt to browse it after not browsing it in a while.

It's in the power options.

image.png.c3c379a736575dffb6a5400a085c3748.png

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

If the drive is not being used for the OS and no apps are installed on it then inactivity will cause windows to automatically turn off the drive until you request access to it.

You'll probably notice that the drive takes a while to spin back up when you attempt to browse it after not browsing it in a while.

No OS and no apps, just torrent stashes. 

I didn't know Windows just shuts it off, I thought only power settings did that and theres only a setting for one drive as you know 😉

What you said does make sense.... it does take a few seconds longer to come alive after not touching it for a week!

But running WizTree (WinDirStat replacement), scheduled virus scans or a system benchmark - the second drive always shows up. I was just thinking disable drive so other apps don't see it.

TY emosun!

12 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

It's in the power options.

image.png.c3c379a736575dffb6a5400a085c3748.png

But thats for the primary (or both) drives. It would be nice if power settings could see a second drive.

1 hour ago, Bender Blues said:

But thats for the primary (or both) drives. It would be nice if power settings could see a second drive.

That's for all the drives.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

On 10/17/2022 at 11:50 PM, Vishera said:

That's for all the drives.

Apologies for the delay. Thats great to know.