M2 macbook pro VS M2 macbook air VS M1 macbook pro 14 inch which one to choose for longevity as well as future proofing ?

Go to solution Solved by Darkseth,

I'll make it short: 24gb M2 models are useless. Nobody needs them.

If you don't need much performance or Specs, you can get the M2 base models, or maybe MAX 16gb Ram. Or better, M1 models, not much slower, a bit more efficient, cheaper, do the job just well, since you don't need performance.

If you need performance, and you need 512/16gb Configuration, you're already at the Price of the better 14" Pro. Take the 14" Pro, it's the better Device.

Since you want longevity and futureproofing as best as possible, you get the 14" Pro. You want the Mini LED Display, the better Speakers, higher performance, HDMI Out.

which one would you choose within these 3 models?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. which one would you choose within these 3 models?

• M1 PRO macbook pro 14 inch 16+512 (8+14 core)
    • M2 macbook air 24+512 (8+10 core)
    • M2 macbook pro 24+512 (8+10 core)

I am tore between these 3 models. 

The 14 inch one is a tad cheaper than those two.

Those two macbooks are 13 inch , but with more RAM. I could always use more ram... 

I really dislike the 13 inch macbook pro's design, actually prefer the notch design. 

Also they said there's something with macbook's SSD with this newer generation? Or if it is the 512GB one like I am choosing, it is fine.

I will be using it for photo editing as well as programming. These machines are probably overkill for me. But I have the budget right now. 

So, which one should I choose? 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

I have the M2 MacBook Pro and my mom has the M2 Air, both are great. The M2 Air is better screen/speakers if you aren’t going to constantly use it for heavy video editing (not that the M2 Air can’t be used for video editing). You’re fine with the MBA on any storage, but the 256gb is slower then the 512/1tb models. I wouldn’t go with the MBP 14 unless you’re a power user since it is a lot bulkier and most people won’t need the power. 

The only reason I didn’t go with the M2 Air is my mom got the MW MBP through work rewards points. She wanted the Air so I ended up grabbing her the Air and taking the MBP. With that said, the M2 MBP is an amazing computer.

I’ve got the M1 Pro 14 inch and I love it. Hands down best laptop I have ever owned in my entire life. Therefore, that has my vote! 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

M2 MacBook Pro is a computer for almost nobody, so I wouldn't consider that one.

M2 Pro/Max 14" macbook pro's are probably coming out this month-- so if you're going 14", probably makes sense to wait (even if it's just to get the M1 14" cheaper).

IMO you need to decide if you care more about the better screen/speakers of the 14" or the smaller size/weight of the Air. Or, if the speed difference matters to you.

If you don't need much performance or Specs, you can get the M2 base models, or maybe MAX 16gb Ram. Or better, M1 models, not much slower, a bit more efficient, cheaper, do the job just well, since you don't need performance.

If you need performance, and you need 512/16gb Configuration, you're already at the Price of the better 14" Pro. Take the 14" Pro, it's the better Device.

Since you want longevity and futureproofing as best as possible, you get the 14" Pro. You want the Mini LED Display, the better Speakers, higher performance, HDMI Out.

19 hours ago, Darkseth said:

since my budget may vary from time to time, let me put it this way, apple refurbished 14inch OR apple refurbished m1 air. I think this is the right direction for me. 16GB/256GB or 512GB depends on stocks on apple.com

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is.