Sanity check. Too many fans

Bombastinator

So I got a thermaltake core v21.  It’s got hella space and hella venting. It’s weird though: it’s more or less a cube.

here’s my plan:

stock 200mm and rear 140mm both blowing out (no filters)

4 120s (two on each side) blowing in. Should be overpressure right?  So the sides that have filters will collect the dust.  The cooler has 2 fans too though (though I suppose I can remove one) it’s a thermalright peerless assassin 120 se (the ugly one) thing is that’s 8 fans.  With the 3 on the video card that’s 11.  As a general rule more than 5 is too many. I thought of replacing the twin 120s with single 200s, but I’ve GOT the 120s and they’re even good ones.  They’re maglev.  Really old maglev. Evergreen enlobal.  I got 4 though and those things basically never wear out and they’re crazy quiet (which is probably just medium quiet now, but they’re still not crap)  It’s a whole lotta fannage. The system is going to be a bit warm though.  A 12700 non k (and I can’t OC it) and a 6800xt which is going to produce LOTS more heat than the cpu. The cooler is overkill (I thought I was going to be able to OC) a peerless assassin 120, and there will be two of those enlobals pointing right into the intakes for the video card.  Is this crazy or stupid in any way? Am I missing something?

I could just omit the side fans, switch the stock 200 back to intake, and fashion some sort of filter for it.  Aquarium filter maybe.  It’s black. Thing would look like a subwoofer. It’s less fans. Only 4. (Or 7 with the video card)   I’m not sure there would be enough cooling for the video card though.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

So I got a thermaltake core v21.  It’s got hella space and hella venting. It’s weird though: it’s more or less a cube.

here’s my plan:

stock 200mm and rear 140mm both blowing out (no filters)

4 120s (two on each side) blowing in. Should be overpressure right?  So the sides that have filters will collect the dust.  The cooler has 2 fans too though (though I suppose I can remove one) it’s a thermalright peerless assassin 120 se (the ugly one) thing is that’s 8 fans.  With the 3 on the video card that’s 11.  As a general rule more than 5 is too many. I thought of replacing the twin 120s with single 200s, but I’ve GOT the 120s and they’re even good ones.  They’re maglev.  Really old maglev. Evergreen enlobal.  I got 4 though and those things basically never wear out and they’re crazy quiet (which is probably just medium quiet now, but they’re still not crap)  It’s a whole lotta fannage. The system is going to be a bit warm though.  A 12700 non k (and I can’t OC it) and a 6800xt which is going to produce LOTS more heat than the cpu. The cooler is overkill (I thought I was going to be able to OC) a peerless assassin 120, and there will be two of those enlobals pointing right into the intakes for the video card.  Is this crazy or stupid in any way? Am I missing something?

I could just omit the side fans, switch the stock 200 back to intake, and fashion some sort of filter for it.  Aquarium filter maybe.  It’s black. Thing would look like a subwoofer. It’s less fans. Only 4. (Or 7 with the video card)   I’m not sure there would be enough cooling for the video card though.

probably over thinking it. unless your trying to min max it and have a low dbs? a flow from front to back or bottom to top is perfred. front intake for tower coolers and bottom for gpu if posable. that case has poor air flow as is so addinf a dust filter will make it pointless to run fans...

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

6 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

probably over thinking it. unless your trying to min max it and have a low dbs? a flow from front to back or bottom to top is perfred. front intake for tower coolers and bottom for gpu if posable. that case has poor air flow as is so addinf a dust filter will make it pointless to run fans...

Yeah.  I’ll try it the front/back way first and see if there even are heat issues.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.