Screwdriver enhancement (better torque if wrench slot)

Sometimes people need extra torque with what they do for really tight screws, so people that use screwdrivers as hammers tend to like to make a few modifications.

Some older screwdrivers would come with what looked like a "nut" but at the top of the shaft (next to the handle) there would be a shape to allow someone to put a wrench on it to get some extra leverage.

Some people that can't be bothered to find screwdrivers with this part used to drill holes in the handle of the screwdriver (towards the bottom near the shaft) so they could stick another screwdriver into the hole and get their extra leverage that way.

example of wrench torque positioning:

Spoiler

PXL_20221002_132348662.jpg

example of "I have a power drill and this job isn't paid by the hour:

Spoiler

except that there'd be a hole and the screwdriver would go through the handle.

PXL_20221002_132445431.jpg

Its pretty rare to see that on a driver with changeable bits. With a place to to use a wrench on the shaft you are able to put way more torque on the shaft than its designed for, definitely not advisable. If you are in a situation where you need that kinda torque on a fastener you probably should be using a different tool than a ratcheting screwdriver

5 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

Its pretty rare to see that on a driver with changeable bits. With a place to to use a wrench on the shaft you are able to put way more torque on the shaft than its designed for, definitely not advisable. If you are in a situation where you need that kinda torque on a fastener you probably should be using a different tool than a ratcheting screwdriver

I guess Linus will need a parts section cuz I'd be breaking a lot of delrin.

1 minute ago, fpo said:

I guess Linus will need a parts section cuz I'd be breaking a lot of delrin.

Whats "delrin"?

If thats what the handle is made out of than it wont be breaking unless you are using them in a way thats not intended. Like doing something dumb and putting a wrench on the handle, in which case they should deny warranty

2 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

Whats "delrin"?

One of the plastics used in the ratchet described in the Project Farm review/comparison video.

Ok, ya under normal use I cant see the handle breaking, also to your original post, screwdrivers arent hammers and shouldnt be used as such.

1 minute ago, Ravendarat said:

Ok, ya under normal use I cant see the handle breaking, also to your original post, screwdrivers arent hammers and shouldnt be used as such.

You must've never fixed things for a living.

My go-to #2 Philips driver has both of these features. Honestly, I've never really used them. Unless you press the tip hard into the screw head, it's just going to cam out when you have at it with a wrench. If I can't get a screw to budge by hand, I'll break out an impact.

Spoiler

image.png.8b0fed799965741b4d982c058c1c4368.png

1 minute ago, Ravendarat said:

Whats "delrin"?

Delrin is a very hard, self-lubricating plastic. It's very wear-resistant, so it's used for working parts like gears. The flat washer between the direction ring and handle on the all-black LTT driver is Delrin (the orange one is ABS).

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

3 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

My go-to #2 Philips driver has both of these features. Honestly, I've never really used them. Unless you press the tip hard into the screw head, it's just going to cam out when you have at it with a wrench. If I can't get a screw to budge by hand, I'll break out an impact.

Hide contents

image.png.8b0fed799965741b4d982c058c1c4368.png

Awesome.
Yeah, I don't have an impact driver, but I do have a small collection of screwdrivers and things. I just hate having to grab a bunch of different screw drivers or all these different kits.

I like that the LTT screw driver is self contained.
I've never *needed* an impact driver for a screw. Just getting the right leverage on the driver has always been good enough for the things I've needed to do.
Sometimes loctite or some rust or time just holds some screws in a little too tight for regular screwing.

49 minutes ago, fpo said:

You must've never fixed things for a living.

22 years as an automotive tech and counting, so ya ive used a couple tools. Use the right tool for the right job and it saves a lot of work in the long run

1 hour ago, Ravendarat said:

screwdrivers arent hammers and shouldnt be used as such.

Me using my drill as a hammer...

Anything can become a hammer if you try hard enough 🙂 

p.s. No "drills" were hurt. Just my 10 year old £15 Ikea 7.2V "drill" being used as a hammer, which surprisingly is still alive and it's gone through everything from hardwood to brick (albeit with a lot of pilot holes mind you). 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

46 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

22 years as an automotive tech and counting, so ya ive used a couple tools. Use the right tool for the right job and it saves a lot of work in the long run

Ahh, so you get paid to fix things.
Lucky few.

I'd imagine setting it up so that people can over torque the ratcheting mechanism is asking for a lot of headache.

At least this way it's on you when they see wrench marks on the Delrin. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, IkeaGnome said:

I'd imagine setting it up so that people can over torque the ratcheting mechanism is asking for a lot of headache.

At least this way it's on you when they see wrench marks on the Delrin. 

Maybe there can be a "premium" screwdriver that can be serviced/oiled with a metal ratchet instead of a delrin one, like alloy, steel or titanium.

1 minute ago, fpo said:

Maybe there can be a "premium" screwdriver that can be serviced/oiled with a metal ratchet instead of a delrin one, like alloy, steel or titanium.

There are.

https://shop.snapon.com/categories/Ratcheting-Screwdriver-Sets/681249

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

4 minutes ago, fpo said:

with the wrench thingy.

Am I the only one that like... abuses tools? xD

Gotta get stuff done and power tools are too dangerous for the delicate parts.

Almost like they know people will do stupid shit and over torque the ratcheting mechanism.

Right tool for the right job. Coming up on 10 years in mining/heavy equipment mechanic work. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.52c1109386b33025339acaed74d4813b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.94ae5bf4b692c3ac30c9e534e8187f6b.jpeg

When it's how you put the food on your table, you're more likely to treat things right.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, IkeaGnome said:

Almost like they know people will do stupid shit and over torque the ratcheting mechanism.

Right tool for the right job. Coming up on 10 years in mining/heavy equipment mechanic work. 

I'm a 10 year professional airsoft/paintball tech.

But 15~ years in non-professional.

Maybe I'm dumb haha.

PS those picture are dope

3 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

In my experience the screwdriver just explodes if you try to use an actual wrench on it, second best outcome is the screw rounds immediately from camming out.

impact all the way

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

3 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

In my experience the screwdriver just explodes if you try to use an actual wrench on it, second best outcome is the screw rounds immediately from camming out.

impact all the way

Totally agree

Proper tool use is essential. You pay 70 for a ratcheting screwdriver thinking it's used as this massive multitool that does absolutely everything, you have the wrong expectations. It's a specialty tool, and should be used as such.

I don't mind misusing some cheap screwdrivers I own, but when I use quality tools, I definitely don't. And cheap is relative, if it's the best you own, don't misuse them.

Dang... it's like none of you saw Linus smile as he whipped out an angle grinder before.