Reconnecting non stop while playing LOL

Ittara

Hey guys, recently I moved to Ireland to a little village and only have broadband. When playing league of legends I keep getting reconnected (doens't happen on any other games not even on Battlefield 2042) and if a teamfight happens I start getting reconnected non stop until the fight ends. The only thing that worked was using a vpn with TCP Override and then I don't get reconnected. Trying UDP doesn't work.

I'm using Vodafone Gigabox Router, connected with a ethernet cable.

Things tried:

- Disable firewall (Router & PC)

- Disable DoS (Router)

- Bunch of re-routing tools (wtfast, exitlag, etc)

- Rebooting and Reseting Router Settings

- Formating PC (even tho this happens with another computer in the house)

Example of getting reconnected, my nick is Sleepnaz, you can see getting connected and disconnected

13 hours ago, Ittara said:

doens't happen on any other game

The issue then is probably not on your end then. It could be an issues with the route the traffic takes to get the the LOL servers. Maybe a peering issue, which might be why the VPN worked because the traffic could take a different route due to the VPN. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

The issue then is probably not on your end then. It could be an issues with the route the traffic takes to get the the LOL servers. Maybe a peering issue, which might be why the VPN worked because the traffic could take a different route due to the VPN. 

Maybe but even with OpenVPN - UDP or Lightway - UDP or even Wireguard etc, none of them work. I have to specificaly use TCP protocol OpenVPN - TCP or Lightway - TCP for it to work

On 10/1/2022 at 1:20 PM, Ittara said:

Maybe but even with OpenVPN - UDP or Lightway - UDP or even Wireguard etc, none of them work. I have to specificaly use TCP protocol OpenVPN - TCP or Lightway - TCP for it to work

This does not negate what @Donut417 said.

The fact that you're only experiencing this behaviour in one game is likely due to an issue in the route between you and the game's server. This sounds like something outside of your control.

Even though a VPN creates a tunnel and routes your traffic differently, the initial connection to the VPN might take a path out that crosses the problematic segment of the route. However, TCP on VPN does error detection and correction and has congestion control compared to UDP (which generally has none, but is faster). As a result, this probably explains why you're not experiencing the problem on TCP.

As for a fix, using a VPN might be the band-aid approach for now. You could ask your ISP to investigate their traffic routes but, unless it's causing problems for many other customers, they might choose to ignore it.

18 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

This does not negate what @Donut417 said.

The fact that you're only experiencing this behaviour in one game is likely due to an issue in the route between you and the game's server. This sounds like something outside of your control.

Even though a VPN creates a tunnel and routes your traffic differently, the initial connection to the VPN might take a path out that crosses the problematic segment of the route. However, TCP on VPN does error detection and correction and has congestion control compared to UDP (which generally has none, but is faster). As a result, this probably explains why you're not experiencing the problem on TCP.

As for a fix, using a VPN might be the band-aid approach for now. You could ask your ISP to investigate their traffic routes but, unless it's causing problems for many other customers, they might choose to ignore it.

Thanks for the answer, I'm going to change ISP