New Pc for my boss

no i just have to give him something that will last for along time and will perform he was happy with that build i am thinking of dropping the GPU to like a gtx650 might save 100 bucks there.

its hard to tell ppl who have a six fig salary they don't need to spend big for what they need my main recommendation was to go for a ultrabook laptop  

Will portability at all benefit him?

Spending more won't necessarily make the system last much longer. My advice for 'future-proofing' would be to spend less, get what you need, and save the extra money for more frequent upgrades. Although what your boss is doing seems fairly light, 5-6 years is still a wide time frame for not upgrading considering how quickly tech moves and how his interests may change.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Will portability at all benefit him?

Spending more won't necessarily make the system last much longer. My advice for 'future-proofing' would be to spend less, get what you need, and save the extra money for more frequent upgrades. Although what your boss is doing seems fairly light, 5-6 years is still a wide time frame for not upgrading considering how quickly tech moves and how his interests may change.

i think portability would help him but he is unsold. he doesn't have a laptop and travels a bit so i think it would be good for him. what he is doing i agree that this system is overkill. he basically told me build it as if i had 2k to spend and i was going to be the person using it,

he considers 2k as a fairly cheap system. i have said i can drop back a few things like cpu and all that and he said "didnt you say the i7 4770 is the newest" Me "yes"  him "i want that whats a 100dollars nothing"

i think portability would help him but he is unsold. he doesn't have a laptop and travels a bit so i think it would be good for him. what he is doing i agree that this system is overkill. he basically told me build it as if i had 2k to spend and i was going to be the person using it,

he considers 2k as a fairly cheap system. i have said i can drop back a few things like cpu and all that and he said "didnt you say the i7 4770 is the newest" Me "yes"  him "i want that whats a 100dollars nothing"

Why not get both a laptop and a desktop?

A more powerful cpu won't be any more useful if what he's doing won't take advantage of the extra power--Why are you asking for his opinion on components/something he doesn't know much about in the first place?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Why not get both a laptop and a desktop?

A more powerful cpu won't be any more useful if what he's doing won't take advantage of the extra power--Why are you asking for his opinion on components/something he doesn't know much about in the first place?

i think you need to know my boss  hes a strange man wants it done now kinda guy so the first thing i put together he was basically gonna buy i said at lest give me a day to get some kinda feedback on it. and its not so much me asking for an opinion as he was hovering over my shoulder watching everything i was doing asking questions like "is that the latest and is is that the best brand of gear".

i have said a 1k ultrabook is all you would need to be completely happy with more power then you will need. he answer is alway  but you could make it faster right. i have only just talked him down from wanting 32gig of ram (16gig is still to much).

i really don't know how to tell him any other way i straight out said this is kinda ridiculously op for what you need 

HP desktops and workstations.

3 years warranty. Next business day onsite as standard

HP desktops and workstations.

3 years warranty. Next business day onsite as standard

are you saying tell him to get a hp?

i think you need to know my boss  hes a strange man wants it done now kinda guy so the first thing i put together he was basically gonna buy i said at lest give me a day to get some kinda feedback on it. and its not so much me asking for an opinion as he was hovering over my shoulder watching everything i was doing asking questions like "is that the latest and is is that the best brand of gear".

i have said a 1k ultrabook is all you would need to be completely happy with more power then you will need. he answer is alway  but you could make it faster right. i have only just talked him down from wanting 32gig of ram (16gig is still to much).

i really don't know how to tell him any other way i straight out said this is kinda ridiculously op for what you need 

Well, he's definitely not getting the best of the best for under $2000. 

Don't tell him it's overpowered. Tell him it's a waste of money and that he's not going to be able to tell the difference--that no one would for what he's doing. 

Better in specs doesn't mean better for what he's doing. Try explaining that he's paying twice as much for what would be less than a 5% tangible performance difference if any.

Well, he's definitely not getting the best of the best for under $2000. 

Don't tell him it's overpowered. Tell him it's a waste of money and that he's not going to be able to tell the difference--that no one would for what he's doing. 

Better in specs doesn't mean better for what he's doing. Try explaining that he's paying twice as much for what would be less than a 5% tangible performance difference if any.

lol i know hes not getting the best for under 2k 

yeah i have.. i might try tomorrow getting  him on the laptop idea personally i think it makes more sense (worse thing about that idea is ill have pick a laptop for him and sell it hard)

lol i know hes not getting the best for under 2k 

yeah i have.. i might try tomorrow getting  him on the laptop idea personally i think it makes more sense (worse thing about that idea is ill have pick a laptop for him and sell it hard)

I wouldn't push the idea of a laptop if he doesn't like it. It's more of a subjective-peripheral/interface thing more than anything else. 

I'd suggest something like this on the desktop side: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/3Ay1W

I wouldn't push the idea of a laptop if he doesn't like it. It's more of a subjective-peripheral/interface thing more than anything else. 

I'd suggest something like this on the desktop side: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/3Ay1W

thanks i will run this past him tomorrow. 

If he's your boss he might be rich. might as well milk out all his cash by getting him a x79 system ivy-e. with 64gigs of 2133 ram, quad titan black, samsung evo 1tb ssd in raid 0 (get like 8 of them like linus). lots of 4tb HDD red. a 900D chassis or biggest caselab case you can find. and water cool the big mama too. fill in every spots you can fit a radiator. 

no joke though if it were me buying something for my boss I'd over kill the nuts out of him make him spend on shits he won't be maxing. but hey it's still top of the line. (heck I'd even opt for a work station grade).

tell him 2k isn't enough for the best in the line.

don't forget triple 4k. good dac and amp. with speakers the size of the biggest mall in the world. (ok that last one is kinda bad).

he most likely could afford a ferrari or something.

Live your life like a dream.

are you saying tell him to get a hp?

depends what his priorities are

business and consumer needs are quite often different.

a business may value Brand Reputation and Support above all else

and with pricing these days, the argument between brand name vs whiteBox is very small

in the end, all pc's are the same until shit goes wrong... and i wouldn't want to be the guy with all the fingers pointed at because i built a gaming PC for a boss who needs just a bare basics, hence reducing points of failure

depends what his priorities are

business and consumer needs are quite often different.

a business may value Brand Reputation and Support above all else

and with pricing these days, the argument between brand name vs whiteBox is very small

in the end, all pc's are the same until shit goes wrong... and i wouldn't want to be the guy with all the fingers pointed at because i built a gaming PC for a boss who needs just a bare basics, hence reducing points of failure

yeah i know but as i said to the wooden marker   he will not listen to me he is buying it tomorrow 

why not just buy him some dell or hp or some gaming grade alienware? heck if he wants to he can buy the trashcan mac system (I would if I ever get over the reason to spend for it). IMO for him I think the best one would be the expensive mac since it's so dumbass free. He wouldn't need to worry about jack shit it's like plug and play (all the warranty is there you don't need to be pointed a finger if some shit goes haywire).

if he really ones a custom assembled pc I believe even an i3 4th gen with 8gb ram 1600mhz cl9. a 256gb ssd 1tb caviar red drive, seasonic m12ii 520w 80plus bronze psu, bitfenix prodigy M, 20 bucks optical disk (I still use some when I buy a hard copy of game). win 8.1 pro, the motherboard would be the gigabyte h87n  wifi (it has wifi no need for a card).

reason for i3 = back then when we had c2d and c2q cpu's we even manage to do some video editing and it works, with the same cash get 16gb ram or something. 

if money still has left overs = i7 non K cpu for his video editing stuff. I would still stick with the mobo though, I had the h77n wifi and it's awesome for my gaming i3 rig.

edit: I'm gonna summarize the parts.

CPU: Intel i3 or I7 non K (4th or 3rd gen).

Mobo: Gigabyte H87n-Wifi (4th gen) or Gigabyte H77n-Wifi (3rd gen).

Ram: g.skill or corsair ram 8gb 1600mhz cl9 or 16gb 1600mhz cl9.

GPU: any cheapo gpu if he use cuda go nvidia something like the 750 ti if opencl go amd something like the 265 or 260.

PSU: Seasonic M12ii 520w 80plus bronze (he won't be needing more unless he go gungho and put two r9 295x2 inside).

Chassis: Bitfenix Prodigy or Prodigy M or anything that looks pretty. heck there was a time I put my mini itx on my 900D for fun >.<

hdd: western digital caviar red 1tb or 2tb.

ssd: Samsung evo 250gb 

ODD: asus or samsung or liteon 20 bucks disk drive.

not sure how much would all that go but I'm very sure it won't go over 2k dollars for the i3 and probably aroudn 1k something for the i7. gonna check them out later.

Seriously this sounds like a cast iron case for a pre-built.  Then the companie's support can deal with any problems instead of you getting all the *Mmmm this system you built seems to be underperforming  could you just have a look at the.." calls.

If your boss is determined to have a bespoke system, at all levels go for reliability over performance.

If his budget is 2K spend 1K now on a pre-built then in a couple of years buy another 1K pre-built . 

A 1K system from now will wipe the floor with one from two years ago,  so in another two years...

Wouldn't have thought bosses were the kind to spend money where it is not required after all that is how the rich get richer.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I am going try get him to go a prebuilt it wont be easy tho.

ok so the final verdict he just purchased this. we get discounts through my work

QufnQXh.jpg

just like to thank all the people who left feed back

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3BBz7

Edit: nvm he got something.pretty bad deal for something that has a 640

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

although it's not something I'd buy for personal use but hey at least it's better than getting the finger when something goes wrong and it should last your boss a while.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Bloatware!

Pretty easily deleted/removed, especially if someone with a bit nous helps him set it up.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"