GPU heavily underperforming and I don't know why...

Gondawn

Hi! First of all, I must say that I am very mediocre, so apologies in advance, for what is probably a stupid question

I am running a ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 Ti OC Edition 12GB GDDR6X with Ryzen 5800x3d, my bios is updated, my mobo is MSI x570, so it supports everything that I need. I have 16GB of 3200 RAM, I have 850W PSU. However, I feel like my GPU is not running at it's full potential... I did a benchmark just now and results were a bit underwhelming...

While my CPU was in 87th percentile, my GPU was in awful 6th percentile - see here

Basically, what I want to know is what I could be doing wrong? Is my GPU defective? Isn't it supposed to be already OC'd (because it's OC edition). I have so many questions... Please help

1 minute ago, Gondawn said:

Hi! First of all, I must say that I am very mediocre, so apologies in advance, for what is probably a stupid question

I am running a ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 Ti OC Edition 12GB GDDR6X with Ryzen 5800x3d, my bios is updated, my mobo is MSI x570, so it supports everything that I need. I have 16GB of 3200 RAM, I have 850W PSU. However, I feel like my GPU is not running at it's full potential... I did a benchmark just now and results were a bit underwhelming...

While my CPU was in 87th percentile, my GPU was in awful 6th percentile - see here

Basically, what I want to know is what I could be doing wrong? Is my GPU defective? Isn't it supposed to be already OC'd (because it's OC edition). I have so many questions... Please help

NGL userbenchmark has a lot of problems in the way they test your hardware, And they have had their share of bad light...i suggest you do an actual in game benchmark and comparing against YouTube videos of your same gpu.

5 minutes ago, Gondawn said:

People usually run 3600mhz RAM with specs like yours. Im pretty sure that is not the problem here.

You can run actual in game benchmarks to clarify. Compare yours to youtube videos.

8 minutes ago, Rifnix said:

People usually run 3600mhz RAM with specs like yours. Im pretty sure that is not the problem here.

You can run actual in game benchmarks to clarify. Compare yours to youtube videos.

13 minutes ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

NGL userbenchmark has a lot of problems in the way they test your hardware, And they have had their share of bad light...i suggest you do an actual in game benchmark and comparing against YouTube videos of your same gpu.

Other than comparing to youtube videos, do you guys know anything about that OC edition? Is it actually OC'd?

1 minute ago, Gondawn said:

Other than comparing to youtube videos, do you guys know anything about that OC edition? Is it actually OC'd?

the "OC edition" is just the same GPU but with higher clocks, it would be the same as EVGA's superclocked for example. as long as your 3080ti performs within like 10% of the ones you are comparing them too then it should be fine, assuming cooling in your case is good too/.

16 minutes ago, Gondawn said:

That "OC Edition" is just your card having a little bit higher clocks and frequencies than other models of that card.

27 minutes ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

the "OC edition" is just the same GPU but with higher clocks, it would be the same as EVGA's superclocked for example. as long as your 3080ti performs within like 10% of the ones you are comparing them too then it should be fine, assuming cooling in your case is good too/.

13 minutes ago, Rifnix said:

That "OC Edition" is just your card having a little bit higher clocks and frequencies than other models of that card.

But what does it mean to me? Can I overclock it just like I would a normal 3080ti?

5 minutes ago, Gondawn said:

But what does it mean to me? Can I overclock it just like I would a normal 3080ti?

Factory "overclocked" cards mean more or less nothing. In most cases their default base and boost clock has been upped a tiny bit and that makes it look good for advertising. Your non-factory overclocked card can do the same thing with afterburner.

What can matter is occasionally those models may have beefier cooling solutions but that isn't always the case.