Old pc shop haul

NJrelictron
5 minutes ago, NJrelictron said:

You think listing a fair price on eBay and let them sit or gamble some more with the auction?  

From my experience if you’re just looking to get it sold, throw it up at auction with a buy it now cheaper than your competitors on eBay.

If you want to maximize your profit but don’t mind if it sits, keep an eye on how many are on eBay at any given time, and price below them. Someone will eventually buy it, so being the lowest price even if the overall prices are higher than normal is beneficial.

Sometimes the available listings leave you as the guy who sells a pcie 6800 ultra for 200$+, sometimes there’s a bunch of them and it goes at auction for $30.

The benefit you have here is that these are fairly common variants of each card, well known AIBs that are sold more frequently. The more rare or obscure an old gpu is, the more it can be worth, if it was like a gianward golden sample 6800 ultra you’d be looking at a shitload of money but it would take forever to sell because you’d be selling to a much smaller market.

CC28FA2B-224D-4C91-BED2-D6551A7B0ECB.jpeg.011292bc1ccafed7d3cf90078e893db0.jpeg

Namely instead of having both markets of collectors + people putting together retro gaming PCs for fun, you’d have just collectors looking at.

So the more common variants become easier sales.

2 hours ago, 8tg said:

From my experience if you’re just looking to get it sold, throw it up at auction with a buy it now cheaper than your competitors on eBay.

If you want to maximize your profit but don’t mind if it sits, keep an eye on how many are on eBay at any given time, and price below them. Someone will eventually buy it, so being the lowest price even if the overall prices are higher than normal is beneficial.

Sometimes the available listings leave you as the guy who sells a pcie 6800 ultra for 200$+, sometimes there’s a bunch of them and it goes at auction for $30.

The benefit you have here is that these are fairly common variants of each card, well known AIBs that are sold more frequently. The more rare or obscure an old gpu is, the more it can be worth, if it was like a gianward golden sample 6800 ultra you’d be looking at a shitload of money but it would take forever to sell because you’d be selling to a much smaller market.

Namely instead of having both markets of collectors + people putting together retro gaming PCs for fun, you’d have just collectors looking at.

This forum had been million times more helpful then Reddit lol thanks all

4 hours ago, 8tg said:

God damn i didnt know these old cards still sell for tons of $

Now im starting to consider buying an agp 775 maybe even 478 board and hunting for old gpus if theyre that freaking valueable, also helpful that its a niche market so ppl that sell (broken/untested) these old gpus willl likely sell for dirt cheap cause theyre old and they seemingly have no value aside from scrap atleast thats the pov of a normal person not interested in collecting or retro gaming on old gpus

Welp thanks for opening up a new area i can look at for dealhunting with likely massive margins depending on the gpu

20 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

God damn i didnt know these old cards still sell for tons of $

Now im starting to consider buying an agp 775 maybe even 478 board and hunting for old gpus if theyre that freaking valueable, also helpful that its a niche market so ppl that sell (broken/untested) these old gpus willl likely sell for dirt cheap cause theyre old and they seemingly have no value aside from scrap atleast thats the pov of a normal person not interested in collecting or retro gaming on old gpus

Welp thanks for opening up a new area i can look at for dealhunting with likely massive margins depending on the gpu

There’s a market for collectors and retro game nerds for a lot of old computer parts.

The big one is high end AGP cards for native windows 98 or XP support.

Everyone knows 3DFX voodoo’s are expensive across all fronts but things like the 7800/7950 or 6800 in agp are great high end agp choices.

However FX cards have better windows 98 compatibility so you see a lot of high end FX cards go for a lot of money, and the better or more rare or feature rich the card, the more money it costs.

My pixel view FX 5900 XT is one of my favorite cards for this reason, it’s a super high end agp card with great windows 98 support and it’s a rare as shit variant that’s highly sought after.

If you look at it as it’s just an old video card and it doesn’t even work with modern operating systems, then it’s worthless. But there’s people out there who view these for more of their collectors value.

C2CD5C46-4D15-4AF3-9DA8-7F6C0F4E8BC7.jpeg

1 hour ago, 8tg said:

The big one is high end AGP cards for native windows 98 or XP support.

So the cards i should look for are agp and native w98/xp support

Whats the highest end native w98 supported card and what the highest end natively supported xp card? And may aswell ask what are the highest end agp cards that you can get?

And for a testbed to test the gpus ofc should i go 775 with an asrock conroe board or go 478?

3 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

So the cards i should look for are agp and native w98/xp support

Whats the highest end native w98 supported card and what the highest end natively supported xp card? And may aswell ask what are the highest end agp cards that you can get?

And for a testbed to test the gpus ofc should i go 775 with an asrock conroe board or go 478?

Best for full windows 98 support are GeForce FX cards, 5700, 5700 ultra, 5900, 5900 XT, 5900 ultra, 5950 ultra, etc

Best for AGP in general are either the 6800 GT or 6800 Ultra

And then there’s the 7800 GS and 7950 GS which have AGP variants and those two are the most powerful nvidia AGP cards but they’re weird, they’re pcie cards with an onboard agp adapter.

Fun fact, they also work the other way around with motherboards which have pcie and agp, those boards are using pcie to agp translator chips, and if you plug a 7800 GS into one of those boards it almost “cancels out”? It works as a pcie card in that weird scenario.

As far as the best for XP, it’s whatever has the last functional drivers. Technically maxwell gpus work on XP without issue, up to a 980ti, though the 700 series had a more full range of driver support.

For a test bed if you really want to get into it, asrock 4core dual or any equivalent, it’s an LGA 775 motherboard that takes up to the Q6600, ddr1 or ddr2, and agp or pcie. It’s one of the few ways to run a 3dfx voodo 3 3000 alongside an RTX 3090.

For a not $200 approach, any agp era Pentium 4 board, ideally lga 775. Primarily because most early 775 boards with agp support also have sata so drop in sata SSDs are much less of a hassle. Going older usually means ide and ide drives are getting more and more untrustworthy each day, and then things like IDE to CF or MSATA are hit or miss.

For pcie cards just use your desktop, anything on pcie has modern Linux support at minimum, or a separate drive with windows 7 32 bit on it for maximum driver compatibility.

few things I forgot to mention in this wall of text:

-I don’t know ATI/AMD cards of the past as well by name, for that I usually read old tech reviews to see what the options were for a given generation 

-there are other reasons for early lga 775, the other is that they usually support booting from usb, very few socket 478 systems can boot from usb

-the asrock 4coredual isn’t expensive because it’s rare, there’s tons of them, it’s because they’re used for this specific purpose, note any eBay reseller of these types of rare parts always has one as it’s the best platform for testing things like this for the sake of compatibility 

Something else to not forget about, it wasn’t always a 2 player game.

Keep an eye out for gpus from other than nvidia or ATI/amd. 3DFX is known but there’s also Via/S3, Matrox, 3D Labs, Rendition, Trident, etc.

These weren’t just AIBs like eVGA or Gigabyte or whatever, they made entirely unique chips.

pic related, a 3DLabs Realizm 500

055742F9-4CFD-441B-8DC4-B1EBCF1BF581.thumb.jpeg.42273f97513e06130f43b93cc941b951.jpeg

2005ish workstation market competitor to the nvidia 7000 series, this one is about equivalent to a 7600 gt.

Cards like this where they’re just now defunct manufacturers are also collectible and people look for them. S3 Chrome cards are stupidly expensive these days similar to 3DFX voodoo’s simply because they were a viable (ha) 3rd option when all the other manufacturers failed. Something like a Via/S3 Chrome 540 GTX (not related to nvidia fermi) is worth several hundred dollars and then some more if it’s complete with box because they’re so obscure that the market looking for them won’t think twice about the price tag.

11 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Best for full windows 98 support are GeForce FX cards, 5700, 5700 ultra, 5900, 5900 XT, 5900 ultra, 5950 ultra, etc

Best for AGP in general are either the 6800 GT or 6800 Ultra

And then there’s the 7800 GS and 7950 GS which have AGP variants and those two are the most powerful nvidia AGP cards but they’re weird, they’re pcie cards with an onboard agp adapter.

Fun fact, they also work the other way around with motherboards which have pcie and agp, those boards are using pcie to agp translator chips, and if you plug a 7800 GS into one of those boards it almost “cancels out”? It works as a pcie card in that weird scenario.

As far as the best for XP, it’s whatever has the last functional drivers. Technically maxwell gpus work on XP without issue, up to a 980ti, though the 700 series had a more full range of driver support.

For a test bed if you really want to get into it, asrock 4core dual or any equivalent, it’s an LGA 775 motherboard that takes up to the Q6600, ddr1 or ddr2, and agp or pcie. It’s one of the few ways to run a 3dfx voodo 3 3000 alongside an RTX 3090.

For a not $200 approach, any agp era Pentium 4 board, ideally lga 775. Primarily because most early 775 boards with agp support also have sata so drop in sata SSDs are much less of a hassle. Going older usually means ide and ide drives are getting more and more untrustworthy each day, and then things like IDE to CF or MSATA are hit or miss.

For pcie cards just use your desktop, anything on pcie has modern Linux support at minimum, or a separate drive with windows 7 32 bit on it for maximum driver compatibility.

few things I forgot to mention in this wall of text:

-I don’t know ATI/AMD cards of the past as well by name, for that I usually read old tech reviews to see what the options were for a given generation 

-there are other reasons for early lga 775, the other is that they usually support booting from usb, very few socket 478 systems can boot from usb

-the asrock 4coredual isn’t expensive because it’s rare, there’s tons of them, it’s because they’re used for this specific purpose, note any eBay reseller of these types of rare parts always has one as it’s the best platform for testing things like this for the sake of compatibility 

Screenshot_20220909_144108.thumb.jpg.3b48ed803a869a98bbf03eb727349b5b.jpg

I assume this is an equivalent but its with a meh 915 chipset

Just now, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Screenshot_20220909_144108.thumb.jpg.3b48ed803a869a98bbf03eb727349b5b.jpg

I assume this is an equivalent but its with a meh 915 chipset

Yes, you won’t need a fancy system overall, just needs to function and run a 3D benchmark or something to verify condition before listing.

A known working card with photo proof of it running 3Dmark 2003 or something is much more desirable.

15 hours ago, 8tg said:

Something else to not forget about, it wasn’t always a 2 player game.

Keep an eye out for gpus from other than nvidia or ATI/amd. 3DFX is known but there’s also Via/S3, Matrox, 3D Labs, Rendition, Trident, etc.

These weren’t just AIBs like eVGA or Gigabyte or whatever, they made entirely unique chips.

pic related, a 3DLabs Realizm 500

055742F9-4CFD-441B-8DC4-B1EBCF1BF581.thumb.jpeg.42273f97513e06130f43b93cc941b951.jpeg

2005ish workstation market competitor to the nvidia 7000 series, this one is about equivalent to a 7600 gt.

Cards like this where they’re just now defunct manufacturers are also collectible and people look for them. S3 Chrome cards are stupidly expensive these days similar to 3DFX voodoo’s simply because they were a viable (ha) 3rd option when all the other manufacturers failed. Something like a Via/S3 Chrome 540 GTX (not related to nvidia fermi) is worth several hundred dollars and then some more if it’s complete with box because they’re so obscure that the market looking for them won’t think twice about the price tag.

This is great, i really appreciate the wealth of knowledge I’ve gotten from you all. I’m going to this guys storage locker next month so I’ll keep my eyes out

Here’s some of the other gpu’s.  They don’t look like anything special. Also a handful not featured but there of the same sort.  I also got some sound cards about 25 psu’s and some ram plus i think server ram but the majority of that will go to my scrap pile

B87A65D1-D165-42C2-8B8D-DC790289BCFC.jpeg

DF0D4CB4-E639-427E-BAE5-11C733485D58.jpeg

17 minutes ago, NJrelictron said:

Here’s some of the other gpu’s.  They don’t look like anything special. Also a handful not featured but there of the same sort.  I also got some sound cards about 25 psu’s and some ram plus i think server ram but the majority of that will go to my scrap pile

Depending on what those AGP cards are, there could be a little bit of money in them. Higher-end AGP cards are still very pricey, but the ones you have definitely are not HD 3850s or HD 4650s. There's a PCI card or two in there, and if you tinker with old hardware (like, pre-PCIe old), a PCI-based GPU can be very nice to have.

The Radeon Pro WX 2100 is interesting. It's only worth $50-ish, but I'm confused how the actual hell a WX 2100 ended up in a lot full of dinosaurs.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Depending on what those AGP cards are, there could be a little bit of money in them. Higher-end AGP cards are still very pricey, but the ones you have definitely are not HD 3850s or HD 4650s. There's a PCI card or two in there, and if you tinker with old hardware (like, pre-PCIe old), a PCI-based GPU can be very nice to have.

The Radeon Pro WX 2100 is interesting. It's only worth $50-ish, but I'm confused how the actual hell a WX 2100 ended up in a lot full of dinosaurs.

The blue radeon was in a Dell 9020 that came with the lot

Just now, NJrelictron said:

The blue radeon was in a Dell 9020 that came with the lot

That makes sense. A lot more sense than just randomly having one in with a bunch of AGP cards lol

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Keep your eyes open for an ATI 3850 AGP card - THE best (fastest) AGP card ever made.

Those go for big $$ vs the others, I haven't seen one going for below $100 for a long time now and for good reason.
There are also PCI-E versions of it but the AGP versions are where the money is and if you happen to have an AGP based board, it's the best card out of all for anything that uses an AGP slot.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.