1155 Motherboards are expensive

I'm looking for a decent 1155 to put an i5 2400 in. I almost bought a Dell Optiplex for 12 dollars and didn't because I couldn't find a 5 pin CPU fan anywhere. Seriously, nobody makes that. So after I decided against that, I noticed any Dell has that 5 pin shit and I will not deal with that mess. So I started looking for something else. I want a good old gigabyte, but the cheapest possible is 60 dollars. The HP boards I run into either are missing vital components I want or the listings say some shit like "need HP power supply and case or it won't work". As stupid as that statement is, I don't want to buy those in case they did something to it. Acers are absolutely hideous, incompatable boards, Asus is extremely expensive, and levovo is stupid and has those 10 pin power connectors. I just want a decent board to run XP from. 

I'm actually looking for 4  ddr3 ram channels, an 8 pin CPU power connector, 24 pin power, HDMI and VGA, 1 pcie for a gt730, and preferably 2 ps2 ports.

3 minutes ago, Meowth LVL255 said:

I'm actually looking for 4  ddr3 ram channels

Do you mean slots? Because no 1155 board supports quad channel I don't believe.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Just now, Middcore said:

Do you mean slots? Because no 1155 board supports quad channel I don't believe.

4 slots, I'm plugging in 4 physical 1gb dimms.

They're pretty expensive because they fail way more often than the cpu, and they aren't produced anymore. Working 1155 boards are rare. Sometimes it makes more sense to put the money to a recent platform.

1 minute ago, Sjaakie said:

They're pretty expensive because they fail way more often than the cpu, and they aren't produced anymore. Working 1155 boards are rare. Sometimes it makes more sense to put the money to a recent platform.

1155 to my knowledge is the last platform windows XP will run in with it hackery that I'm not going to do.

21 minutes ago, Meowth LVL255 said:

The HP boards I run into either are missing vital components I want or the listings say some shit like "need HP power supply and case or it won't work". As stupid as that statement is, I don't want to buy those in case they did something to it

That isn't a stupid statement. I wouldn't buy that board from a seller who didn't put that in the description. HP motherboards from that era use proprietary power standards so there isn't a way to plug in a standard ATX power supply to them without some weird adapter cables. They also use very weird motherboard form factors like BTX, so an HP case is the only reliable way to get it to work. 

11 minutes ago, Meowth LVL255 said:

1155 to my knowledge is the last platform windows XP will run in with it hackery that I'm not going to do.

Pretty sure it was FX actually that was the last to drop XP support, but you're gonna run into the same sort of issues finding cheap boards anyway, if not more since the FX chips drew so much power and the motherboards they were usually put in had pretty anemic VRMs. 

You've pretty much got to wait and hope to snag one when someone is parting out an old system, or just buckle down and buy a 2nd or 3rd gen Optiplex for $50-60, and just make an adapter for the fan (pretty sure adapters do exist for them)

36 minutes ago, Meowth LVL255 said:

I'm looking for a decent 1155 to put an i5 2400 in. I almost bought a Dell Optiplex for 12 dollars and didn't because I couldn't find a 5 pin CPU fan anywhere. Seriously, nobody makes that. So after I decided against that, I noticed any Dell has that 5 pin shit and I will not deal with that mess.

They make adapters. They're 89 cents or so if the eBay landscape is the same as it was a couple years ago. Not the prettiest, but if it's that or spending $50+ on a used Gigabyte H61...

Acers are absolutely hideous, incompatable boards, Asus is extremely expensive, and levovo is stupid and has those 10 pin power connectors. I just want a decent board to run XP from. 

Acers were more or less standard boards in that era, IIRC. Nothing proprietary or annoying about them. Mostly some combination of green and orange, yellow, white, whatever, but a black board from 11 years ago isn't going to be cheap today.

I'm actually looking for 4  ddr3 ram channels, an 8 pin CPU power connector, 24 pin power, HDMI and VGA, 1 pcie for a gt730, and preferably 2 ps2 ports.

Dell board, my dude. 100% a Dell Optiplex 790 board.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Here's an $8 adapter that will let you plug a standard 4-pin fan into the 5-pin CPU fan header:

https://www.amazon.com/Pocaton-Female-Socket-Connector-Cooling/dp/B073XJV5L9/#customerReviews

You'll also have to adapt the front panel connector (and probably the power supply connector) if you want to use an OEM motherboard in a generic chassis.

I think you're better off starting with a whole OEM machine, but there are some okay-ish prices to be found for 1155.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265164889161

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

17 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Here's an $8 adapter that will let you plug a standard 4-pin fan into the 5-pin CPU fan header:

https://www.amazon.com/Pocaton-Female-Socket-Connector-Cooling/dp/B073XJV5L9/#customerReviews

You'll also have to adapt the front panel connector (and probably the power supply connector) if you want to use an OEM motherboard in a generic chassis.

I think you're better off starting with a whole OEM machine, but there are some okay-ish prices to be found for 1155.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265164889161

I don't want to just buy an OEM machine. My project is to build my own. That's why I'm looking for parts. I'm kinda afraid to put adapters in my computers because of the instability if them. I've been yelled at by a lot of people over the years for wiring things strange and I'm weary of doing it now. I've found 1 Dell 5 pin CPU fan and I don't wanna use that thing because I'd hate to look at it everyday. I wanna build something in going to like and but want to cover up with a side panel case. I should have said that in the original post, sorry. 

45 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Dell board, my dude. 100% a Dell Optiplex 790 board.

2 reasons why I didn't buy it. 

1. 5pin CPU fan. They all seem to have it. I didn't want to use an adapter because of previously being yelled at for it because fire hazard and dangerous to do so. 

2. 4 pin power connector for cpu. I'm looking for 8 pin. I'm putting a 95watt chip in it .

I'd forgotten that I have a 1155 build, that I offlined in May after finally replacing my HTPC.

I have zero plans to sell it, but this thread made piqued my interest so I had a look - refurbs of my Gigabyte H77M-D3H are available from Newegg for $65:

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813128548

mATX, 4x DIMM slots, 8-pin CPU power. Should be fine for a 2400. And it ticks all the boxes bar the 1x PS2 port vs the 2 you would like.

I'm surprised that a board I paid around £120 is still worth around half what I paid for it 9 years ago but there's clear demand and there appears to be nothing available for less. Which considering the current inflation and increased costs, it's still reasonable. I think you're really at the point that if you want an 1155 board, you'll really have to pay ~$65 to get one that fits the bill.

For my board, I bought it new for my HTPC and it ran pretty much constantly for 9 years until April when I finally replaced it with a 10th gen Intel build. While I hate the BIOS on it, the board has been extremely reliable.

Looking at other 1155 options, it looks like $60 is the going rate for any 1155 motherboard - this one wasn't exactly high-end or as feature packed as the one it replaced (nor is the 3D BIOS mode useful in any way) but it's worth a look.

That said, if it's intended for an XP build, keep it offline.

US Gaming Rig (April 2021): Win 11Pro/10 Pro, Thermaltake Core V21, Intel Core i7 10700K with XMP2/MCE enabled, 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus Z490-G (Wi-Fi), SK Hynix nvme SSDs (1x 2TB P41, 1x 500GB P31) SSDs, 1x WD 4TB SATA SSD, 1x16TB Seagate HDD, Asus Dual RTX 3060 V2 OC, Seasonic Focus PX-750, LG 27GN800-B monitor. Logitech Z533 speakers, Xbox Stereo & Wireless headsets, Logitech G213 keyboard, G703 mouse with Powerplay

UK HTPC #2 (April 2022) Win 11 Pro, Silverstone ML08, (with SST-FPS01 front panel adapter), Intel Core i5 10400, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3,600MHz, Asus B560-I, SK Hynix P31 (500GB) nvme boot SSD, 1x 5TB Seagate 2.5" HDD, Drobo S with 5x4TB HDDs, Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Silverstone SST-SX500-LG v2.1 SFX PSU, LG 42LW550T TV. Philips HTL5120 soundbar, Logitech K400.

US HTPC (planning 2024): Win 11 Pro, Streacom DB4, Intel Core i5 13600T, RAM TBC (32GB), AsRock Z690-itx/ax, SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, Streacom ZF240 PSU, LG TV, Logitech K400.

US NAS (planning): tbc

UK Gaming Rig #2 (May 2013, offline 2020): Win 10 Pro/Win 8.1 Pro with MCE, Antec 1200 v3, Intel Core i5 4670K @4.2GHz, 4x4GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus Z87-DELUXE/Dual, Samsung 840 Evo 1TB boot SSD, 1TB & 500GB sata m.2 SSDs (and 6 HDDs for 28TB total in a Storage Space), no dGPU, Seasonic SS-660XP2, Dell U2410 monitor. Dell AY511 soundbar, Sennheiser HD205, Saitek Eclipse II keyboard, Roccat Kone XTD mouse.

UK Gaming Rig #1 (Feb 2008, last rebuilt 2013, offline 2020): Win 7 Ultimate (64bit)/Win Vista Ultimate (32bit)/Win XP Pro (32bit), Coolermaster Elite 335U, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @3.6GHz, 4x2GB Corsair DDR3 @1,600MHz, Asus P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-Ap@n, 2x 1TB & 2x 500GB 2.5" HDDs (1 for each OS & 1 for Win7 data), NVidia GTX 750, CoolerMaster Real Power M620 PSU, shared I/O with gaming rig #2 via KVM.

UK HTPC #1 (June 2010, rebuilt 2012/13, offline 2022) Win 7 Home Premium, Antec Fusion Black, Intel Core i3 3220T, 4x2GB OCZ DDR3 @1,600MHz, Gigabyte H77M-D3H, OCZ Agility3 120GB boot SSD, 1x1TB 2.5" HDD, Blackgold 3620 TV Tuner, Seasonic SS-400FL2 Fanless PSU, Logitech MX Air, Origen RC197.

Laptop: 2015 HP Spectre x360, i7 6500U, 8GB Ram, 512GB m.2 Sata SSD.

Tablet: Surface Go 128GB/8GB.

Mini PC: Intel Compute Stick (m3)

3 hours ago, Meowth LVL255 said:

Haswell has XP support with no fuckery required. I’m running an H81 ITX board with a G3258 and a GTX 750 Ti inside an old HP Slimline case for retro gaming, and it has no issues.

Also, Dell-to4-pin adapters are not a fire hazard. The only realistic situation where fan headers might become problematic is if you put way too many fans on a single header, but even then you’d kill the header long before it caught fire. Now, Molex to SATA or PCIe or, well, Molex to anything has a long history of killing components and/or buildings.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

21 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Haswell has XP support with no fuckery required. I’m running an H81 ITX board with a G3258 and a GTX 750 Ti inside an old HP Slimline case for retro gaming, and it has no issues.

Also, Dell-to4-pin adapters are not a fire hazard. The only realistic situation where fan headers might become problematic is if you put way too many fans on a single header, but even then you’d kill the header long before it caught fire. Now, Molex to SATA or PCIe or, well, Molex to anything has a long history of killing components and/or buildings.

I guess I could try an adapter. I see a Dell op. For 12 dollars on eBay and that seems to be the only thing is need for it. I'll look into haswell first though. Thanks.

On 9/3/2022 at 3:58 PM, Sjaakie said:

Not completely true, at least at the time of this posting since I can find them with ease at least the standard 1155 boards.

Replacment 1155 boards for OEM setups like a Dell may be hard to find but in general, 1155 boards can be found.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

9 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Not completely true, at least at the time of this posting since I can find them with ease at least the standard 1155 boards.

Replacement 1155 boards for OEM setups like a Dell may be hard to find but in general, 1155 boards can be found.

Basically, what I'm finding is Dell, HP and Acer boards on Ebay are 12-50 dollars. The boards with more of what I'm looking for like gigabyte and Asus are 50 dollars and above. There's one board on there that's 14 or so dollars and 18 dollars shipping for a Gigabyte, but the owner says that there's no free shipping on his end and no I/O shield. Shields for that board seem to be 13-15 dollars for some reason, so it ends up being almost 50 dollars anyways. I didn't like the fact that the picture shows 2 Sata cables just kinda attached to the board while it's sitting out on top of its packing. I'd have gone with the 12 dollar Dell Optiplex, but I really didn't want to have to use an adapter for a CPU fan. It's looking like I'll wait till next month to buy a 50-60 dollar Gigabyte board just to make sure I get something that I know will work out. 

Your options

1. Run newer hardware and run XP as a VM.
  2. Purchase a used MB that you know can be recapped (if it's a known source of failure).
  3. Migrate off whatever application is holding you back from running Windows 10 or newer.

6 hours ago, StDragon said:

Your options

1. Run newer hardware and run XP as a VM.
  2. Purchase a used MB that you know can be recapped (if it's a known source of failure).
  3. Migrate off whatever application is holding you back from running Windows 10 or newer.

1. Dedeats the purpose of the whole project to have a REAL XP computer.

2. Not getting into soldering caps. That's it of my comfort zone and I don't wanna.

3. It's a vm. It's not the same and never will be.

This thread made me look up my Z77 OC Formula.. 300-350 buy it now.. crazy!

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, T30,TL-C12 Pro
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

31 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Ouch, better take care of it. I think there might be an old tech boom going on right now. I sure picked a great time to wanna do this didn't I?

15 hours ago, freeagent said:

I've got one of those too you know..... 😁
Need to fix it after the Ln2 benching session that popped a component, otherwise it's fine.

No, I ain't selling mine either - I know what I've got.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.