Paying for 1Gbps but getting 400Mbps

azhy

I am using a TPLink Network Extender which I hook up my ethernet cable through since my house doesn't support have any ethernet ports that work.
I'm paying for Gigabit Internet from Telus and my modem is the Telus Wifi-Hub.

The network extender I got is the RE550 and it supports Gigabit.

I have made sure my Ethernet cord was not capped at all but it said 1000mbps so everything is working fine with the cord afaik.
Could it possibly be the extender that's making me lose out on the 600mbps? Someone please help on how I can fix this. 
Thanks.

Yes, it is the extender, wifi extenders and powerline adapters are known to hamstring bandwidth. Wifi extenders because they cut the throughput in half and powerline because of the various factors that can impact the quality of the signal over power.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Are you using the Gigabit network port as the backhaul to your main router, or is it providing a port for a device that only has Ethernet?

If the link between your main router and your extender is WiFi, that basically cuts your speed in half because the repeater has to literally repeat all your network traffic. (That's one reason to avoid using extenders unless you absolutely have to. And if you have to, use a wired connection for the backhaul if at all possible. Honestly, hard wire every device you can.)

If you plug into your main router with a network cable, what speeds do you get?

4 minutes ago, azhy said:

I have made sure my Ethernet cord was not capped at all but it said 1000mbps so everything is working fine with the cord afaik.

That just means the devices negotiated a Gigabit link between them, it doesn't mean every link in the chain between your device and your Internet connection is Gigabit.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Are you using the Gigabit network port as the backhaul to your main router, or is it providing a port for a device that only has Ethernet?

If you plug into your main router with a network cable, what speeds do you get?

That just means the devices negotiated a Gigabit link between them, it doesn't mean every link in the chain between your device and your Internet connection is Gigabit.

The Network Extender is just to provide a port for my PC as I don't have a Wireless Adapter.
I have not tried plugging into the router yet since its in an awkward position and my Ethernet cable is short short.

1 minute ago, azhy said:

The Network Extender is just to provide a port for my PC as I don't have a Wireless Adapter.

Network extenders cut bandwith in half to do their job of extending this also counts for their ports.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Network extenders cut bandwith in half to do their job of extending this also counts for their ports.

welp that sucks, will anything like a ethernet extender fix my issue or its still the same thing?

1 minute ago, azhy said:

welp that sucks, will anything like a ethernet extender fix my issue or its still the same thing?

Ethernet extender? What do you mean by that?

5 minutes ago, azhy said:

Ethernet extender? So a cable? Yeah a cable should fix the problem, cables can go full speed in both directions.

5 minutes ago, azhy said:

You can run a Cat6 network cable up to 320 feet between devices at Gigabit speed.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Ethernet extender? What do you mean by that?

I guess in other words its a powerline adapter, so I guess that wont work.

Just now, azhy said:

I guess in other words its a powerline adapter, so I guess that wont work.

No powerline isn't better.

You can just run a cable they can go very far and worst case if it's a crazy far run you put a switch in the middle.

Just now, jaslion said:

No powerline isn't better.

You can just run a cable they can go very far and worst case if it's a crazy far run you put a switch in the middle.

Okay I will get a very long ethernet cable, and probably run it through the outside. Thanks.

Just now, azhy said:

Okay I will get a very long ethernet cable, and probably run it through the outside. Thanks.

If going outside make sure it's an outdoor cable and is properly shielded (THIS MATTERS A LOT) and you put it in a protective conduit.