Linus messed up with the "Trust me bro Warranty" T-shirt

Ankit Sharma

@Magnus33wasnt the shirt released on the same day as the warranty? Or is my timeline getting  messed up. Like I mean I guess the shirt was released at the start of the WAN show and the Warranty was talked about part way in but to me thats the same thing as being released at the same time. Or are you saying youd prefer it was deferred by like a week?

38 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

@Magnus33wasnt the shirt released on the same day as the warranty? Or is my timeline getting  messed up. Like I mean I guess the shirt was released at the start of the WAN show and the Warranty was talked about part way in but to me thats the same thing as being released at the same time. Or are you saying youd prefer it was deferred by like a week?

IIRC Linus addressed the drama, said there’s going to be a warranty, read out the draft of said warranty and then talked about the shirt. The warranty still wasn’t finalised until mid way through the following week.

18 hours ago, DeerDK said:

I honestly think that the shirt was meant as a self burn,  but I agree that Linus sometimes seems to have his head in the clouds in terms of what is good practice in general, just because he himself wouldn't consider skewing people over. 

Its the same as when he said that he would feel it like a personal defeat if his employees would want a union, as he should be providing good enough conditions. 

I get what he means from an "altruistic" standpoint, but he completely misses the point of leveling the playing field and ensuring safeguards while everyone are still on good terms. 

Dunno, maybe he is working on his med dosage again. He told some time ago that it had made him a bit more...easy excitable or something. 

I had the same thoughts as you. Thanks for putting them in writing. Someone else that's level headed, nice.

Intel Core i7-13700F | ASUS Z690M PLUS D4 | 2x16GB DDR4 @ 3600MHz CL16 | Zotac RTX 4070 Super 12GB | WD SN770 2TB SSD | Fractal ION+ 860W Platinum | Fractal Focus G Mini Case | Alienware 27" 1440p 240Hz G-SYNC Ultimate | Logitech THX 2.1 Speakers | Windows 11 Pro

46 minutes ago, SkillTim said:

I had the same thoughts as you. Thanks for putting them in writing. Someone else that's level headed, nice.

also . really dont know why people fail to understand this. warranty in home country!

other wise it in their desrection(really auto correct?) else where.

its like shipping . moment it goes over seas. it not on us anymore.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

23 hours ago, yolosnail said:

Steve made a very good point in the latest GN video, if someone like Artesian Builds pulled a similar move after their drama, would you look at it the same way as you would with LMG?

I very much doubt it.

While the intent was understandable on Steve's part, these are two completely different situations: Artesian was scamming people by not shipping new builds and then didn't return warranty-repaired systems, LMG wasn't offering an explicit warranty on a more-or-less "soft good" of a backpack. Now, surely everyone will have an opinion on the optics of the "Trust me bro" shirt, but these are two very different situations.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

17 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

While the intent was understandable on Steve's part, these are two completely different situations: Artesian was scamming people by not shipping new builds and then didn't return warranty-repaired systems, LMG wasn't offering an explicit warranty on a more-or-less "soft good" of a backpack. Now, surely everyone will have an opinion on the optics of the "Trust me bro" shirt, but these are two very different situations.

The outrage isn't about people assuming that LMG tries to scam anyone. The outrage is that LMG is showing the same kind of behavior that they accused companies of for years. Then they make fun of the people who basically said "Hey LMG, please live up to your own standards." and what's even worse: Linus really seems to believe that he is the victim here. The funny thing is: there are no victims here. Criticism has no victims.

Everything about that thing was just really tone deaf but instead of now doing the right thing and publicly coming through with this, they do nothing...which they also accused companies of for years. And I am not talking about the fact that they added a warranty. It's not about the warranty. It's about living up to the standards you have set for others.

Everything about this affair had a bad taste to it and it is just irritating to see.

On 8/25/2022 at 6:05 AM, Ankit Sharma said:

I have been a long time follower of LMG and Linus in particular (Since NCIX) but I have never felt anything he did was more in poor taste than this "Trust me Bro Warranty" gag.

The community was right about this and Linus got it wrong, I am not sure why Linus can't just take being wrong on the chin and move on. Making fun of this was not required. Yeah it may have sold a lot but that is not a metric for being a good person which I think Linus genuinely is. I have grown up learning from this guy and I am in the tech world today because of him and I am very happy to credit him for it.
I post this in the forum even though I am not very active here, and not on Twitter or something since I think this platform is slightly more respectable with the audience and hopefully @LinusTech will read this and realise that he can get it wrong. He is a role model to a lot of people, me included.

I hope you see what is wrong here Linus. I do not know what you should do to fix it or if it needs fixing but as a long time fan of your nature more than anything else, I hope you will fix this.

It creates hype, the next step is the waranty for the screwdriver: Screw me bro waranty :)