Tom80765412

Which PSU should I go for?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which PSU should I go for?

• ASUS ROG Strix 1000W Gold ROG
    • Corsair RMx Series RM850x
    • Gigabyte UD750GM 750W 80 PLUS Gold
    • Gigabyte UD850GM 850W

So I need to upgrade my PSU and I have only these 4 options available where I am from.

There are probably better PSUs then these but I can only choose one out of these 4.

So based on my current specs, which one should I go for?

ASUS ROG Strix 1000W Gold ROG

https://rog.asus.com/power-supply-units/rog-strix/rog-strix-1000g-model/

OR

Corsair RMx Series™ RM850x — 850 Watt 80 PLUS® Gold Certified Fully Modular PSU

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/Power-Supply-Units-Advanced/RMx-Series/p/CP-9020180-NA

OR

Gigabyte UD750GM 750W 80 PLUS Gold Modular Power Supply

https://www.gigabyte.com/Power-Supply/GP-UD750GM#kf

OR

Gigabyte UD850GM 850W Modular Power Supply - 80 PLUS Gold PSU

https://www.gigabyte.com/Power-Supply/GP-UD850GM#kf

Current Specs:

Processor: Intel Core i5-12400,

Motherboard: Gigabyte B660M,

Ram: XPG 16 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz,

Western Digital 512 GB SSD,

1TB & 500 GB HDD,

Lian Li Galahad AIO 240 RGB UNI FAN SL120 Edition Closed Loop All-in-One CPU Liquid Cooler,

Current PSU Corsair VS650,

Current GPU: None in system right now. I will install my new Palit 3070 8GB after PSU upgrade.

You can only choose those 4? What country are you buying in? 1Kw is overkill for your specs and Gigabyte has had issues with their psus (if anyone can say otherwise feel free to chime in, since i cant remember the specific model). So it seems like the only choice is the rmx, though you really only need a 750 watt psu

Corsair RMx

Asus ROG Strix

Gigabyte UD-GM

Pick either the RMx or Strix depending on price. You don't need an 850-1000W power supply for an i5 12400 and RTX 3070. See if the 750W models are available, that's still way more than you need with that system.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

10 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

1Kw is overkill for your specs and Gigabyte has had issues with their psus (if anyone can say otherwise feel free to chime in, since i cant remember the specific model).

The notable issues they had were with the GP-PGM models... The UD-GM models OP listed are actually based on the same design but the major flaws have been fixed. Gigabyte rebranded them under a different model name to disassociate them from the bad publicity, but at least you now know that the UD-GM ones are the fixed ones. There were some other minor changes they made, they claim it's an ATX 3.0 compatible power supply but when it was tested it failed to meet some of the requirements... They're much less likely to explode now but still not worth recommending.

Edit: I might have got that thing about ATX 3.0 wrong. I thought they marketed it as an ATX 3.0 power supply but I just looked and there's no mention of it on the product page and the specification page states v2.31. Either they've since removed it or I'm remembering it wrong.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

You can only choose those 4? What country are you buying in? 1Kw is overkill for your specs and Gigabyte has had issues with their psus (if anyone can say otherwise feel free to chime in, since i cant remember the specific model). So it seems like the only choice is the rmx, though you really only need a 750 watt psu

1 kw might be overkill but ignoring that for a minute and  comparing rm 850 with it. Which one will perform better? Which one will last longer? Which one has better components/features?

ASUS hit or miss.  They're spread too thin but likely their PSUs are all rebadged? Their fingers are in way too many pies...but I admit I don't know details on ASUS's foray into PSUs.

I've been using Corsairs for years, never an issue.  My own RM850x is still going strong.

Wouldn't trust a Gigabyte supply with a 50ft pole after their most recent PSU screw-up/fire hazard.  Wouldn't trust Gigabyte anyways after buying their flagship MB 10 years ago and their support figuratively screwed me. No Gigabyte products for me personally, ever.

8 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Corsair RMx

Asus ROG Strix

Gigabyte UD-GM

Pick either the RMx or Strix depending on price. You don't need an 850-1000W power supply for an i5 12400 and RTX 3070. See if the 750W models are available, that's still way more than you need with that system.

They are available but mostly of Gigabytes or other brands  bronze ones. 

1 minute ago, PineyCreek said:

ASUS hit or miss.  They're spread too thin but likely their PSUs are all rebadged? Their fingers are in way too many pies...but I admit I don't know details on ASUS's foray into PSUs.

The Asus Strix power supplies are based on the Seasonic Focus GX, with a few minor design changes.

Just now, Spotty said:

The Asus Strix power supplies are based on the Seasonic Focus GX, with a few minor design changes.

Oh really? Well Seasonic's been quite reliable as well.  ASUS made a good partner/rebadge decision, sounds like.

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Did they also copy the 12v rail issues?

10 minutes ago, Tom80765412 said:

kw might be overkill but ignoring that for a minute and  comparing rm 850 with it. Which one will perform better? Which one will last longer? Which one has better components/features?

I'd say the rm 850 would be the better choice if I had to pick between the 2

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

2 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Oh really? Well Seasonic's been quite reliable as well.  ASUS made a good partner/rebadge decision, sounds like.

Lets say I can easily get ASUS one right now as compared to RM850x... Should I go for ASUS one?

Its like to get RM850x I will have to "travel" to other city. But ASUS is available nearby....

RMx is the obvious choice, but if you can spend a little more, don't think twice and get an HX series.

Just now, Tom80765412 said:

Lets say I can easily get ASUS one right now as compared to RM850x? Should I go for ASUS one?

Its like to get RM850x I will have to "travel" to other city. But ASUS is available nearby....

In that case get the Asus Strix. It's a good power supply. It's wayyyy overkill for what you need, but if there's nothing else available...

1 minute ago, Ryuikko said:

Did they also copy the 12v rail issues?

The issues with shutting down with high end GPUs? I don't believe so, and afaik that's now fixed on Seasonic units as well.

3 minutes ago, Tom80765412 said:

Lets say I can easily get ASUS one right now as compared to RM850x... Should I go for ASUS one?

Yeah...even so, I'd go for the Corsair, and I agree you don't need a 1KW PSU, but if ASUS is Seasonic that'd be fine.  I'd also compare the warranties first as well between the PSUs, just in case.

31 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Yeah...even so, I'd go for the Corsair, and I agree you don't need a 1KW PSU, but if ASUS is Seasonic that'd be fine.  I'd also compare the warranties first as well between the PSUs, just in case.

Both have one year local warranty.

13 minutes ago, Tom80765412 said:

...wow, I apologize for this observation but you get crap warranties wherever you are.  The Corsair has a 10 year warranty in the US...well, if you're not abusing it, PSUs are like storage...if it's going to fail, it'll be out of the box or within the first couple weeks of regular usage most likely.

Maybe write your local government official.

Oh yeah, maybe it's my own personal neuroses, but test the PSU before connecting it to any hardware.  Basic stuff, just to power it on and the like.  Make sure the magic smoke doesn't escape immediately and sparks aren't flying.

2 hours ago, Tom80765412 said:

That would just be the warranty offered by the store. Both the RMx and Asus Strix offer 10 year warranty, you would go through the manufacturer customer support to make a claim through the warranty.

... Unless you're buying a used/refurbished power supply, then the warranty will be different.

4 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

but if ASUS is Seasonic that'd be fine.

Well, Seasonic Focus GX is nothing better than mediocore with the quality of the fan, analog fancontrol, 40 degree rating and thin PCI-e cables. Asus made the PSU even worse by replacing the heatsinks inside the PSU with very large ones that prevent airflow on some components. So in my opinion the Asus is not a very good choice if the Corsair RMx is available and comparable priced.

7 hours ago, Spotty said:

That would just be the warranty offered by the store. Both the RMx and Asus Strix offer 10 year warranty, you would go through the manufacturer customer support to make a claim through the warranty.

... Unless you're buying a used/refurbished power supply, then the warranty will be different.

Are cougar psus good?

2 minutes ago, Tom80765412 said:

Are cougar psus good?

It entirely depends on the model. What model is it?

5 minutes ago, Spotty said:

It entirely depends on the model. What model is it?

There are different models but only cougar has burn/damage warranty available of 3 years.

Just now, Tom80765412 said:

There are different models but only cougar has burn/damage warranty available of 3 years.

I'm not familiar with Cougar's warranty terms so I'm not sure exactly what that is. I would assume that any power supply that catches fire would be covered under normal warranty, though I would prefer a PSU that doesn't catch fire.

I'm not super familiar with Cougar's lineup these days. The GX-F would probably be most comparable to the other PSUs you were looking at, but somebody with more knowledge of Cougar's PSUs could probably give better recommendation.

19 hours ago, Spotty said:

I'm not familiar with Cougar's warranty terms so I'm not sure exactly what that is. I would assume that any power supply that catches fire would be covered under normal warranty, though I would prefer a PSU that doesn't catch fire.

I'm not super familiar with Cougar's lineup these days. The GX-F would probably be most comparable to the other PSUs you were looking at, but somebody with more knowledge of Cougar's PSUs could probably give better recommendation.

Warranty rules are a bit different here sadly...

So the shop I visited showed me these 3 variants of Cougar which had good warranty but I wasn't sure about Cougar PSUs at that time.

Cougar GEX1050 80Plus Gold 1050W PSU,

Cougar GEX850 Gold Full Modular PSU,

Cougar GEX750 Gold PSU

1 hour ago, Tom80765412 said:

Warranty rules are a bit different here sadly...

So the shop I visited showed me these 3 variants of Cougar which had good warranty but I wasn't sure about Cougar PSUs at that time.

Cougar GEX1050 80Plus Gold 1050W PSU,

Cougar GEX850 Gold Full Modular PSU,

Cougar GEX750 Gold PSU

None of these are particularly great compared to, say, RMx

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler