Accidentally dropped screwdriver on motherboard

Renan Santana

I Accidentally dropped my screwdriver on the laptop's motherboard. Apparently I didn't see anything damaged. The screwdriver is small and light, but it made a very loud noise when it fell on the motherboard. My laptop is running fine, but do you think i need to check something more ?

2 minutes ago, Renan Santana said:

My laptop is running

Given that there's no defect, and you didn't see visible damage, you should be just fine.

PCBs are coated from the factory, usually to protect against rust but the coating also can protect against minor scuffs. Chances are you were lucky, and the screwdriver didn't really hit the motherboard that hard.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

15 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Given that there's no defect, and you didn't see visible damage, you should be just fine.

PCBs are coated from the factory, usually to protect against rust but the coating also can protect against minor scuffs. Chances are you were lucky, and the screwdriver didn't really hit the motherboard that hard.

Yep. You should be fine if you don't see any obvious destruction.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

4 hours ago, Renan Santana said:

I Accidentally dropped my screwdriver on the laptop's motherboard. Apparently I didn't see anything damaged. The screwdriver is small and light, but it made a very loud noise when it fell on the motherboard. My laptop is running fine, but do you think i need to check something more ?

Nice try, secret Linus account.

5 hours ago, Renan Santana said:

Having worked in computer repair for 15 years as long as the board had no power going through it your are fine (as long as it hasn't shorted anything, IE because it had power). I have dropped screw drivers, had screw drivers slip and scratch boards, had boards bend at odd angles due to being held in with weird clips. Hell I have had laptops with USB ports sheared or managed and still working. Even more so some system with HEAVY corrosion and other nonsense on boards and somehow they were working...

As long as none of the surface mount components got damaged, traces got broken etc you are fine.

That being said, please becareful regardless.  Boards can be surprisingly sensitive and break easily or they can be surprising durable. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

Make sure you have backups of important stuff if you're concerned. 

23 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

PCBs are coated from the factory, usually to protect against rust but the coating also can protect against minor scuffs.

At the risk of coming across as a dick, but I don't want people to be misinformed.

PCBs in the general sense are not all coated. Coating specifically refers to conformal coating which protects the entire assembled board from debris, water, etc. This costs money and most manufacturers don't bother.

If you're talking about solder mask, you'd be right but that's not the same as coating, and not as effective since it only protects PCB traces on the outer layers.

5 hours ago, Mojo-Jojo said:

At the risk of coming across as a dick, but I don't want people to be misinformed.

PCBs in the general sense are not all coated. Coating specifically refers to conformal coating which protects the entire assembled board from debris, water, etc. This costs money and most manufacturers don't bother.

If you're talking about solder mask, you'd be right but that's not the same as coating, and not as effective since it only protects PCB traces on the outer layers.

Yep and it is a lot more fragile than you think. Though that being said that thin layer has saved slipped screw driver from being a disaster. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2022 at 3:29 PM, Renan Santana said:

I've done that before, and if you saw no damage, then you should be alright. Maybe if you dropped it a couple of times, you might want to double check it, but otherwise you should be alright..

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos