Bent 2 pins on usb 3.0 connector on MoBo

Gosh I am so so stupid, I dunno what was I thinking.

I bent 2 first top pins on internal usb 3.0 connector on MoBo.

I know how.

I tried to straighten them up but not a chance..maybe one day when I remove MoBo from case.

Are they so delicate not to be touched?

So now am I left without front panel USB 3.0 😪

My stupidness of running rgb strip over Usb 3.0 chasis cable.

Luckly none of the pins are touching each other.

May I try to straighten them up?

Now I see even 4 are not okay.

Much easier would be when one day I remove a board from the chasis.

In this business I see you never should use brute force...

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

9 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Depends on how bent, but if you can get the connector on the pins, usually you can straighten them using the connector itself. Yes, they are quite delicate and you have to take care removing or inserting the connector.

2 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Depends on how bent, but if you can get the connector on the pins, usually you can straighten them using the connector itself. Yes, they are quite delicate and you have to take care removing or inserting the connector.

Hmm only one bent or more?

I have a bad angle of trying to reach while MoBo is inside...

20220815_185944.jpg

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

2 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Hmm only one bent or more?

I have a bad angle of trying to reach while MoBo is inside...

Looks like only one, and still fine to rescue. Just put the connector back on carefully, seat it firmly, and then pull it out straight.

Use a plain chisel screwdriver to bend the pin back. A credit card would also work, or even a coin ...

Each vertical row has the wires for one USB port ... that 2nd pin is P1 D+ , the data pin for usb 2.0 speeds.

image.png.31c2aefac912fcbca86ba6df4a34e120.png

Yeah but the problem is that connector is resisting so I can not plug it back.

May I use plastic spudger (side with a pick)?

Does not look that bad, huh guys?

Fixable?

Screenshot_20220815-192158_Chrome.jpg

26 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Yeah but the problem is that connector is resisting so I can not plug it back.

May I use plastic spudger (side with a pick)?

Does not look that bad, huh guys?

Fixable?

If you have on already, sure, but no point buying it just for this. Anything long and flat will be fine. No need to make a meal out of it.

2 hours ago, For Science! said:

If you have on already, sure, but no point buying it just for this. Anything long and flat will be fine. No need to make a meal out of it.

Nope I have that plastic spunge..i purchased kit for reparing cellphones for 8 bucks..yeah my OCD..things I will never need ,well guess what now they come in handy 🤣

It is not ifxit but wth..

Dunno how I bent that/those pins,probably applying too much force trying to connect cable to it .

Now regarding straightening it up should I move the pin just at the tip of it or around middle of it?

Ofc I don't want to break it, but guys repair CPU sockets, I hope I can repair one damaged pin on USB 3.0 connector, just that I don't have good angle to do so with my elbow.

3 hours ago, mariushm said:

Use a plain chisel screwdriver to bend the pin back. A credit card would also work, or even a coin ...

Each vertical row has the wires for one USB port ... that 2nd pin is P1 D+ , the data pin for usb 2.0 speeds.

image.png.31c2aefac912fcbca86ba6df4a34e120.png

I don't have USB 2.0 ports on front chasis panel.I have 4 USB 3.0 ports.

Is that pin important?

1 hour ago, frozensun said:

Nope I have that plastic spunge..i purchased kit for reparing cellphones for 8 bucks..yeah my OCD..things I will never need ,well guess what now they come in handy 🤣

It is not ifxit but wth..

Dunno how I bent that/those pins,probably applying too much force trying to connect cable to it .

Now regarding straightening it up should I move the pin just at the tip of it or around middle of it?

Ofc I don't want to break it, but guys repair CPU sockets, I hope I can repair one damaged pin on USB 3.0 connector, just that I don't have good angle to do so with my elbow.

just do it man...... its not your OCD, its your uncontrollable shopping habits.

tip or middle, does not matter, just enough to get the connector back on.

If you insert a usb 2.0 device in a usb 3.0 port, those two wires / pins are used  D- and D+ .

If you insert a usb 3.0 device, it's gonna use the SS_TX and SS_RX (short for super speed, transmit and receive). I don't remember but I think the D- and D+ could also be used together with the SS pairs... I'm not sure and too tired to look it up.

Each 20 pin header has wires for two ports, each vertical row contains the pins for one port.  If you have 4 ports on the case but only connect to one 20 pin header on the motherboard, then most likely there's a USB hub chip hidden somewhere in the case, so you have something like this

20 pin header on mobo ---> cable with wires for 2 ports

cable --- > 1 port on the case

cable ---- > 2nd port wires go to a hub ---> 3 ports on the case.