Please judge my build + So many variations of 3080s? How to pick one?

Squeezy

I'm doing my build with Ryzen 5600x and single 3080. MSI has a pretty nice prices on 3080s on amazon now (I live in Norway), but I'm totally lost which one to pick. I've seen some had difference in PCI amount (16x vs 8x), while my motherboard should support both (but I was thinking of doing arch renders, so some day I may buy second 3080 to fit inside).
Please judge my build 🙂
Why I picked that motherboatd and processor cooling:

Spoiler

I'm partly going for the look here, so NZXT was my choice in that matter in both cooling and motherboard. I know that kraken is a little overkill for this processor, but I hope one day to get to 5900x, and not replace my cooler. I also wanted something that would have built-in sound-card with 5.1 output and a wi-fi (I have a weird internet at my place, so this might be helpful if wire goes down)

PC Parts Picker Screenshot:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.240ed3cd75dddd80e08a64eba911b8a3.png

Amazon page with 3080s screenshot and link:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.4136c518b38783e9399be58f52e0303e.png

MSI Ventus is one of the worst cards you can get but it also tends to be one of the cheapest... altough I would recommend to pay a bit extra if you can afford it and get the Gamin Z Trio instead if it has to be MSI.

39 minutes ago, Squeezy said:

I'm doing my build with Ryzen 5600x and single 3080. MSI has a pretty nice prices on 3080s on amazon now (I live in Norway), but I'm totally lost which one to pick. I've seen some had difference in PCI amount (16x vs 8x), while my motherboard should support both (but I was thinking of doing arch renders, so some day I may buy second 3080 to fit inside).
Please judge my build 🙂
Why I picked that motherboatd and processor cooling:

Hide contents

I'm partly going for the look here, so NZXT was my choice in that matter in both cooling and motherboard. I know that kraken is a little overkill for this processor, but I hope one day to get to 5900x, and not replace my cooler. I also wanted something that would have built-in sound-card with 5.1 output and a wi-fi (I have a weird internet at my place, so this might be helpful if wire goes down)

PC Parts Picker Screenshot:

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.240ed3cd75dddd80e08a64eba911b8a3.png

Amazon page with 3080s screenshot and link:

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.4136c518b38783e9399be58f52e0303e.png

In my opinion, you should look at reviews for cooling and then buy the card which has the best cooling out of them all

This guy compares nearly every mainstream AIBs RTX 3080 on the market and points out the best and worst ones:

Basically the best cards are the ones with the best cooling and higher power limits for better clock speeds. Cards like the MSI Ventus for example have a low power limit, lower clock speeds, and poor thermal performance. This puts the ventus cards at worse performance than the average 3080.

Meanwhile the Asus strix 3080 OC has one of the best coolers, higher power limits and better out of the box clocks that leave it performing better than the average 3080.

There is of course some other factors to consider such as personal preference on aesthetics, price, and exactly how much you want to min/max this consumerism.

Because while an msi ventus is a pretty mediocre card, if the price is right or you just intend to run stock clocks or probably won’t fully utilize it, it’s most likely fine.

But if you’re looking to find the best you can also go too far, because the best cards are usually the off the wall extreme examples of a gpu like Galax HoF, Colorful Kudan, eVGA kingpin hybrid cards, etc

And those are moving into the territory of paying twice the MSRP of a regular card for some odd features.

So yes the Colorful Kudan 3090 is the best 3090, there’s no contest:

84D17C3F-28DB-4B99-808B-EE2B38D9D3C5.thumb.jpeg.968f0c74a9d536b095b8e3b02f0106a4.jpeg

However it’s also $3000 (and now even more) and is it really worth spending that much over just a regular evga FTW3 or something?

For NVIDIA, preferable you'd want the top brands not budget brands, like ASUS, EVGA or Aorus.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

7 minutes ago, venomtail said:

For NVIDIA, preferable you'd want the top brands not budget brands, like ASUS, EVGA or Aorus.

Every AIB makes good and bad cards now and then.

Blanketing different AIBs into whole categories can lead to poor decisions on what’s purchased.

There are a lot of different AIBs and it’s best to look at individual card designs rather than the whole brand.

6E99DE71-C45B-495F-96E8-635172E8AC5F.jpeg.d589786e4dd5e569b38f554e382946f5.jpeg

Thank you for answers. I should've mentioned at the top that one of the reasons I decided to build a PC now - was a GPU prices drop, so I'm not looking at the expensive options now.
Those MSI cards are in a pretty sweet spot for my budget right now, but I'll consider now checking listed brands, maybe they have similar prices as well.

5 minutes ago, Squeezy said:

Thank you for answers. I should've mentioned at the top that one of the reasons I decided to build a PC now - was a GPU prices drop, so I'm not looking at the expensive options now.
Those MSI cards are in a pretty sweet spot for my budget right now, but I'll consider now checking listed brands, maybe they have similar prices as well.

EVGA FTW3, ROG Strix, Aorus Master/Xtreme, MSI Gaming Trio are generally solid coolers to look out for.

39 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Every AIB makes good and bad cards now and then.

Blanketing different AIBs into whole categories can lead to poor decisions on what’s purchased.

There are a lot of different AIBs and it’s best to look at individual card designs rather than the whole brand.

6E99DE71-C45B-495F-96E8-635172E8AC5F.jpeg.d589786e4dd5e569b38f554e382946f5.jpeg

Of course, one shouldn't be a brand loyalist but as a general rule, if I am blindly looking at a fresh new release of cards, generally those 3 should at worst, perform average out of all cards together. Looking at the 3080 video linked, that seems to be the exact case, with EVGA's 3070 cooler on a 3080 card performing worse out of the 3 right in the middle category.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker