What Network Switch should I buy

chris7797

I am installing a home network in my home.  I currently have 23 cat 6 cables run throughout the house into a network cabinet in my office closet.  .  I will be connecting 4 TV’s, 2 PS4’s, 5 computers, 1 network / plex server, 1 range extender, and 1 network printer. The rest are extra connection points in the house.  I was looking to purchase a used network switch off of Ebay and I am not sure what to get.  I currently don’t have any use for POE besides the range extender for the backyard but if it has it I can just not use it.  As for managed or unmanaged I could go either way. I don’t have much network knowledge so I don’t know how much managing I will be doing.  I think having 4 SFP ports would be useful if i understand how to use them correctly.  I would plug in my server, router, one PC and the range extender. The faster speeds for those 4 items sounds like it would most useful.  I was going to just pick one but found out that my network cabinet is only 14 inches deep from the front rails to the back of the cabinet.  Most switches are 17.5 deep it seems. I did fine some 10 inches deep but at this point not sure what to do.  Any suggestions on brands and model numbers would be greatly appreciated. My budget is 125 to 200 US. 

Try to get an Ubiquiti one. Those are nice, and later on perhaps a UDM Pro and WIFI APs ... all managed from the UDM.

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

4 hours ago, chris7797 said:

I am installing a home network in my home.  I currently have 23 cat 6 cables run throughout the house into a network cabinet in my office closet.  .  I will be connecting 4 TV’s, 2 PS4’s, 5 computers, 1 network / plex server, 1 range extender, and 1 network printer. The rest are extra connection points in the house.  I was looking to purchase a used network switch off of Ebay and I am not sure what to get.  I currently don’t have any use for POE besides the range extender for the backyard but if it has it I can just not use it.  As for managed or unmanaged I could go either way. I don’t have much network knowledge so I don’t know how much managing I will be doing.  I think having 4 SFP ports would be useful if i understand how to use them correctly.  I would plug in my server, router, one PC and the range extender. The faster speeds for those 4 items sounds like it would most useful.  I was going to just pick one but found out that my network cabinet is only 14 inches deep from the front rails to the back of the cabinet.  Most switches are 17.5 deep it seems. I did fine some 10 inches deep but at this point not sure what to do.  Any suggestions on brands and model numbers would be greatly appreciated. My budget is 125 to 200 US. 

Sfp ports are just a different interface, they are not inherently faster or better than rj45. I wouldn't go out of my way to find a switch with them. Also not the difference between sfp and sfp+. 1 vs 10gbe. The benefit of sfp and sfp+ is distance. If you don't need more than 100m, don't worry about it. 

Sounds to me like any old switch will do just fine for you, as long as it isn't too deep. 

It's hard to recommend something because the available models on eBay will vary so much from day to day and location to location. I don't think you need to worry too much about it. If you end up buying a managed switchen then I'd make sure that the switch is factory reset before getting it. Factory resetting some enterprise switches can be a nightmare for those not used to it.

11 hours ago, chris7797 said:

I think having 4 SFP ports would be useful if i understand how to use them correctly.  I would plug in my server, router, one PC and the range extender. The faster speeds for those 4 items sounds like it would most useful.

Please note that SFP ports are not necessarily faster than other ports, and the connection will only be as fast as the slowest device.

If your range extender only has a 1Gbps port then it doesn't matter if you plug it in to a 1Gbps RJ45 port, or a 10Gbps SFP+ port. It will still just run at 1Gbps.

An SFP port might have a slightly bigger buffer, but it is not something you need to take into consideration for this.

Plus, in order to use SFP ports you need SFP modules, and if you want to use fiber then you need fiber cables as well.

6 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Also not the difference between sfp and sfp+. 1 vs 10gbe. The benefit of sfp and sfp+ is distance. If you don't need more than 100m, don't worry about it. 

No, the difference between SFP and SFP+ is speed, not distance.

Distance is determined by the module you plug in. 

You can get SFP modules that can do 120km.

You can get SFP+ modules that can only go 30 meter.

What you can't get is an SFP module that does 10Gbps. You need an SFP+ module for that.

If you don't mind a little noise, look into the Aruba S2500 series. You get either 24 or 48 Gigabit ports, with optional PoE depending on model, and four 10 gig capable SFP+ ports. Unlike used Cisco and Brocade switches around the same price point, there's no license finagling needed to use all of the switch's ports and features.

Hook your NAS and primary PC to a couple of the 10 gig ports, and everything else can go on regular gig ports.

Do what you can to hardwire as many stationary machines as possible, and eliminate WiFi "range extenders". They'll kneecap your maximum speeds. Try to place your WiFi access point either in the middle of your place, or get a couple of APs and put them in opposite corners (depending on your coverage requirements).

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Sounds to me like any old switch will do just fine for you, as long as it isn't too deep. 

It's hard to recommend something because the available models on eBay will vary so much from day to day and location to location. I don't think you need to worry too much about it. If you end up buying a managed switchen then I'd make sure that the switch is factory reset before getting it. Factory resetting some enterprise switches can be a nightmare for those not used to it.

Please note that SFP ports are not necessarily faster than other ports, and the connection will only be as fast as the slowest device.

If your range extender only has a 1Gbps port then it doesn't matter if you plug it in to a 1Gbps RJ45 port, or a 10Gbps SFP+ port. It will still just run at 1Gbps.

An SFP port might have a slightly bigger buffer, but it is not something you need to take into consideration for this.

Plus, in order to use SFP ports you need SFP modules, and if you want to use fiber then you need fiber cables as well.

No, the difference between SFP and SFP+ is speed, not distance.

Distance is determined by the module you plug in. 

You can get SFP modules that can do 120km.

You can get SFP+ modules that can only go 30 meter.

What you can't get is an SFP module that does 10Gbps. You need an SFP+ module for that.

Re-read my reply. That's exactly what I said. (excuse the typo, should say note, sfp vs sfp+ 1 vs 10gbe.) 

And when I mention distance, I am comparing it to rj45/cat 6a ethernet, not sfp to sfp+

Thanks for all of the info much appreciated. The range extender is only to get wifi in my back yard and for the nest camera I have.  I will look into the Aruba switches again I dont remember seeing a short one.  Thanks again. 

On 8/3/2022 at 7:24 PM, chris7797 said:

aving 4 SFP ports would be useful if i understand how to use them correctly

Unless your doing speeds faster than 10 Gbps I dont think SFP will matter. Regular old Cat6 can do 5 Gbps at its full length and 10 Gbps at up to 55m. The way I see it, just put the server close to the rack. You can do short cat 6 run for faster speeds. That being said, you probably dont really need that. I mean we are just getting to the point where 2.5 Gbps speeds are useful. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Lets not forget that SFP (when using DAC or Fibre) also reduces heat and power consumption.

This can be valuable as you can get a tiny 5 port fanless SFP+ switch for the faster devices then just link that into a cheap Gigabit switch for everything else.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 8/4/2022 at 7:05 AM, LAwLz said:

If you end up buying a managed switchen then I'd make sure that the switch is factory reset before getting it. Factory resetting some enterprise switches can be a nightmare for those not used to it.

Unless you're Cisco and think putting the physical factory reset button above the first ethernet port is acceptable, in which case doing a factory reset is far too easy:
fn63697_muvjlu1595014075872.jpg