vSphere+/vSAN+ Subscriptions Pricing Remains Undisclosed to the Public (Post VMware+Broadcom Merger)

TopHatProductions115

TL;DR

Back in late May 2022, Broadcom announced its plan to by VMware for just over 60 billion USD. The announcement (and subsequent follow-through) has sparked concerns in the enterprise space. In late June, VMware revealed more information on Project Artic. Project Artic is VMware's vSphere-as-a-Service offering, and VMware was slated to reveal pricing for it in July. Now, at the end of July, they have finally released said info - but not to the public. VMware is sticking with their per-core licensing and "commit+overage" billing model. Owners of perpetually-licensed vSphere can switch to the subscription model if they decide to. Perpetual and subscription licenses can also run together in the same datacenter. But there are caveats for both:

Quotes

Holders of perpetual licences can shift to vSphere+ if they choose. It’s also possible to run mixed subscription and perpetual licences – but VMware has not made that easy because vCenter licensed under vSphere+ can only manage a vSphere+ ESXi, and a perpetual vCenter can only manage a perpetual vSphere/ESXi.

The white paper reveals what’s in the vSphere+ bundle – basically the entire VMware infrastructure stack other than NSX. The Tanzu Kubernetes deployment and management tools are present, as is the vSphere distributed switch, Nvidia GRID vGPU, the vSphere hypervisor, backup tools, vMotion tools, and plenty more.

My thoughts

With the lack of publicly-available information, some IT professionals are considering leaving the VMware ecosystem for other alternatives. An air of "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" exudes from this. This will possibly push smaller businesses toward open source alternatives, and leave legacy VMware customers to get gouged by foot the bill of Broadcom+VMware's need for infinite growth in a finite market. Instead of innovation and steady progression with a decent product and competent customer service, the remaining customers may very well be left with the exact opposite of what they've grown to expect from VMware of years past...

Sources

NOTE: The last hyperlink is more speculative, and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Edited by TopHatProductions115
Added note(s) for last source, edited title

Another money milking subscription...

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

6 hours ago, Vishera said:

Another money milking subscription...

Wasn't it already a money milking subscription?

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

Commercial software offerings rarely have publicly available pricing.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

6 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Wasn't it already a money milking subscription?

Nope, at least for general vSphere and vCenter, it was a perpetual license.

Support on the other hand I'm sure was a subscription.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

12 hours ago, Roswell said:

Which is pretty  stupid TBH, the word will get out there whether they like it or not......

6 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Which is pretty  stupid TBH, the word will get out there whether they like it or not......

It won't though, the pricing is fluid. New contracts vs contract extensions, size of the volume license, bidding for the client, retention and so on all change the price. The companies that use the software don't even have access to a "standard" price in most cases, they're usually given a quote.

6 minutes ago, Roswell said:

It won't though

If you want to believe that i wont stop you.... whistling.gif

3 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

I don't think you read the rest of my post. Whatever price one company gets won't match with what another company gets. IT departments can leak whatever they want, it's not going to be useful for another client.

You know a MUCH EASIER way to go about it? Request a quote! 

26 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

I could tell you my company's price but it won't be your company's price, that's why quotes come with confidentiality clauses (to protect them not you).

Publicly disclosing your price won't really do much unless everyone does it on mass.

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

No, quotations are done per customer depending on how many licenses they would like to purchase, whether they have prior business relations with vmware, whether they are likely to continue renewing the subscription in the future etcetera... this is pretty normal for this type of software. Private users aren't buing single vSphere licenses anyway.

There are problems with this but they aren't unique to vSphere or even software licenses; at the core this is an issue with IP law. VMware isn't doing anything weird here.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

19 hours ago, Roswell said:

Oi - take a look here:

Public pricing (for the perpetual licensed version only) and a ready buy-it-now button. Something that I appreciate, as a potential customer XD

No jumping through salesmen, product trials, datasheets, etc. Just the price tag.

Does the competition offer anything cheaper?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition