Do I give this guy a refund?

So, as some of you know, I buy and sell components on eBay to make a profit. Recently though, I switched my Maximus V Formula for a Z77 Sabertooth (for aesthetic reasons) The MVFormula worked perfectly fine when I was using it with no issues.

The buyer reported that the top PCI-e lane was faulty, so I asked him to send me the item back so I could send it off for an RMA and so I could refund him.

Upon arrival of the item, I noticed large scratches and a small dent in the south bridge, (possibly from installing a GPU?) I find that indeed one of the pins (metal strips) in the PCI-e lane is bent that wasn't before, which was an easy fix. Next, I take my system apart to test this board, and get a 55 error code (which means memory not installed) so I tried different configurations, all to no avail. I grabbed a different kit of RAM and tried the same configurations: Still no luck. 

I start looking closely to find that the Supreme FX audio chip is scratched and there's a gouge mark above it, all of which was not there before. Also of note is that the wrong DIMM slots were open (3 and 4).

*Photos of the RAM slots open and south bridge scratches were too large.. To me all of the above points to poor handling of the board,and I really don't want to give him a refund (which he's asking for) I also stated in my description that I don't offer refunds.

Memory installed with 55 error (*bad photo)

post-19631-0-24210600-1398506939_thumb.j

Supreme FX audio problem

post-19631-0-70300900-1398507485_thumb.j

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Unless your eBay page says otherwise, I wouldn't give them a refund.  It seems as though they've caused the damage so you shouldn't have to give anything back.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

If your Ebay listing says the item was working then you should do a refund. Otherwise I wouldnt.

Are you sure it is the same board you sent to him? And that he hasnt purchased your board and swapped it with a broken one? Did you write down the serial number before sending it?

I would also recommend taking good photos before you send it anywhere. Ones where you have the light on. You will need them incase he opens a dispute on Ebay.

So, as some of you know, I buy and sell components on eBay to make a profit. Recently though, I switched my Maximus V Formula for a Z77 Sabertooth (for aesthetic reasons) The MVFormula worked perfectly fine when I was using it with no issues.

The buyer reported that the top PCI-e lane was faulty, so I asked him to send me the item back so I could send it off for an RMA and so I could refund him.

Upon arrival of the item, I noticed large scratches and a small dent in the south bridge, (possibly from installing a GPU?) I find that indeed one of the pins (metal strips) in the PCI-e lane is bent that wasn't before, which was an easy fix. Next, I take my system apart to test this board, and get a 55 error code (which means memory not installed) so I tried different configurations, all to no avail. I grabbed a different kit of RAM and tried the same configurations: Still no luck. 

I start looking closely to find that the Supreme FX audio chip is scratched and there's a gouge mark above it, all of which was not there before. Also of note is that the wrong DIMM slots were open (3 and 4).

*Photos of the RAM slots open and south bridge scratches were too large.. To me all of the above points to poor handling of the board,and I really don't want to give him a refund (which he's asking for) I also stated in my description that I don't offer refunds.

Memory installed with 55 error (*bad photo)

attachicon.gif2014-04-25 21.53.23.jpg

Supreme FX audio problem

attachicon.gif2014-04-25 19.38.46.jpg

If your Ebay listing says the item was working then you should do a refund. Otherwise I wouldnt.

Are you sure it is the same board you sent to him? And that he hasnt purchased your board and swapped it with a broken one? Did you write down the serial number before sending it?

My eBay listing says that I do not offer refunds. It was in working order when the item was sent, very well packaged, to the buyer. 

I have the board registered with ASUS, so I'll log into my account and check that it matches next. 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

My eBay listing says that I do not offer refunds. It was in working order when the item was sent, very well packaged, to the buyer. 

I have the board registered with ASUS, so I'll log into my account and check that it matches next. 

But if you sold a item that was listed as working, and he says it isnt working then you will need to be able to prove that it was the same item. Maybe with images you took before sending it. Ebay often side witht the buyer in disputes.

But if you sold a item that was listed as working, and he says it isnt working then you will need to be able to prove that it was the same item. Maybe with images you took before sending it. Ebay often side witht the buyer in disputes.

I've initiated the case against the buyer, and historically that gives better results for the buyer. 

Why would I have to prove that? In case I've just taken photo's of a broken board? I don't understand your reasoning. 

I wouldn't unless you think it could be shipping fault (I doubt a shipping problem would serverly scratch the mobo).  Then I wouldn't give them a refund, explain the situation to them first though so they understand.   And tell them you can offer to try and fix the problem.  

It's well obvious he broke it.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

I've initiated the case against the buyer, and historically that gives better results for the buyer. 

Why would I have to prove that? In case I've just taken photo's of a broken board? I don't understand your reasoning. 

Because law, thats why.  You can get your ebay account shut down and possibly worse if he goes far enough saying you scammed it, unless you provide proof he can say you lied to him and sold him a faulty product.  Always take pictures of the item before hand ideally with a newspaper in the background showing the date.  I do that before every thing I sell for the reason, there are people out there who just want to get as much as they can from you without paying a dime or doing a single thing.  

You are going to need to prove that he caused the damage after he recieved it and that you didnt cause it before sending it to him if he decides to open an Ebay/PayPal dispute. Saying "it was working before I sent it, and i packaged it well" isnt proof.

Which bit is hard to understand? If you can prove he caused the damage, and paypal give him a refund then you could probably sue him in small claims court. If you cant prove it, then you cant do anything about it.

I wouldn't unless you think it could be shipping fault (I doubt a shipping problem would serverly scratch the mobo).  Then I wouldn't give them a refund, explain the situation to them first though so they understand.   And tell them you can offer to try and fix the problem.  

I messaged the buyer asking him exactly what it was he did to the board, because it isn't in the same condition it was in when I brought the item. I could offer to send it for an RMA and send him the replacement, but he's already gone and brought a new Motherboard anyway. 

You are going to need to prove that he caused the damage after he recieved it and that you didnt cause it before sending it to him if he decides to open an Ebay/PayPal dispute. Saying "it was working before I sent it, and i packaged it well" isnt proof.

Which bit is hard to understand? If you can prove he caused the damage, and paypal give him a refund then you could probably sue him in small claims court. If you cant prove it, then you cant do anything about it.

I have pictures of the board working, I'm not sure if I have any with the Serial number visible, I'll have to check. 

I have pictures of the board working, I'm not sure if I have any with the Serial number visible, I'll have to check. 

Its useless if you cant prove that it is that specific board.

If you are doing this regularly then I would recommend getting a good high resolution camera and taking clear close up pictures of every item that you sell, and recording the serial numbers before you send them.

Its useless if you cant prove that it is that specific board.

If you are doing this regularly then I would recommend getting a good high resolution camera and taking clear close up pictures of every item that you sell, and recording the serial numbers before you send them.

Okay, thank you. So I should take photo's of components working, with the Serial number visible. Should I include a photo with the serial number visible on future listings too?

if your page says NO refunds then no refunds and if as you say, he broke it, so no refund, but yea, dated pictures are a good idea

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Okay, thank you. So I should take photo's of components working, with the Serial number visible. Should I include a photo with the serial number visible on future listings too?

Yeah, or you could include it in your dispatch note.

if your page says NO refunds then no refunds and if as you say, he broke it, so no refund, but yea, dated pictures are a good idea

But if he has listed it as working and the other person says it arrived broken then he will need to be able to prove he didnt send it as a broken item.

But if he has listed it as working and the other person says it arrived broken then he will need to be able to prove he didnt send it as a broken item.

well, how about the guy that says it arrived broken dont prove that he didnt break it? as i said pictures are good, but the buyer took the risk of no refunds and even if the OP is a lying dick and it was broken already  ;)  no refund still means no refund.

I made the mistake of not including the serial number and/or date in any of my photo's It's the same board, but other than having photos of it working with a date, (no serial number to prove it's this exact board) there isn't any solid "proof" that it's the same board I sent him.

Yeah, or you could include it in your dispatch note.

Thank you for the advice. I've checked and it is the same board I registered with ASUS, but that doesn't matter since I could have just registered a broken board with them.

well, how about the guy that says it arrived broken dont prove that he didnt break it? as i said pictures are good, but the buyer took the risk of no refunds and even if the OP is a lying dick and it was broken already  ;)  no refund still means no refund.

So, what your saying is that if the buyer hasn't documented that it was a DOA board with photographic evidence, then I may still have a chance? Even if I am a lying dick? ;)

I would also recommend taking good photos before you send it anywhere. Ones where you have the light on. You will need them incase he opens a dispute on Ebay.

Good advice here. Take lots of photos of its condition, along with its serial number.

No. The buyer caused the damage.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

So, what your saying is that if the buyer hasn't documented that it was a DOA board with photographic evidence, then I may still have a chance? Even if I am a lying dick? ;)

you protected yourself with the no refunds thing, so unless he has proof of some kind of fraud you're clear :) otherwise i would just rule it as he breaking it.

Fulfilling the burden of proof captures the benefit of assumption, passing the burden of proof off to another party.

If OP can prove he sent a working board that did not have any damage, then the other person is going to have to prove that he recieved it like he is claiming he did. What does the buyer gain by returning a broken product for a refund?

He gains less than a person does if they can sell a broken board for the same value as a working one.

Fulfilling the burden of proof captures the benefit of assumption, passing the burden of proof off to another party.

If OP can prove he sent a working board that did not have any damage, then the other person is going to have to prove that he recieved it like he is claiming he did. What does the buyer gain by returning a broken product for a refund?

He gains less than a person does if they can sell a broken board for the same value as a working one.

but its quite common for people who break a computer part during install to return it saying it was broken to get the money back or a new product.