Probation mentioned in LMG videos?

PhoebeTheWitch
Go to solution Solved by Dutch_Master,

New staff cannot appear in videos during their probation period, as this is a legally required period (by Canadian Law) that both employer and employee can end their contract, no strings attached. Makes sense to keep those new faces off YT to protect their privacy but also LMG's reputation.

Hi, been getting back into watching LTT videos again (for a while YouTube didn't recommend them to me 😕) and I've noticed that probation is mentioned some. What is probation referring to in this context? What does it mean? 

New staff cannot appear in videos during their probation period, as this is a legally required period (by Canadian Law) that both employer and employee can end their contract, no strings attached. Makes sense to keep those new faces off YT to protect their privacy but also LMG's reputation.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

1 minute ago, Dutch_Master said:

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for explaining it!

5 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

not showing them has nothing to do with Canadian law. you could show them
LMG chooses not to to avoid people joining to get their name out then quitting

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

4 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

That might be part of it, but I think they would probably weed most of those people out during the interview stage. I think it's mostly to stop the audience asking why they no longer work there. They can't discuss HR issues publicly and I'm sure they don't want to deal with obsessive fans launching petitions to rehire them or whatever, not to mention with an audience in the millions there's bound to be a few people that take things too far and try to dox or harass them. Internet drama can get pretty nasty.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 hours ago, Dutch_Master said:

And i thought it was the criminal kind of probation 😅🤣

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

On 7/27/2022 at 1:28 AM, Spotty said:

I think it's mostly to stop the audience asking why they no longer work there.

I think Linus said this was the primary reason in a video or on WAN show a long time ago.

On 7/27/2022 at 12:20 AM, GDRRiley said:

I don't think he's saying the law prohibits them from being shown, he's saying that LMG think it's more prudent not to show them during the law-mandated period where it's uncertain whether they'll stay, for the reasons already mentioned. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

On 7/27/2022 at 1:20 AM, GDRRiley said:

I have a sort of example of this. Being a YouTuber myself, I've collaborated with a lot of other channels that were new. Basically, when I have someone read on my channel, I'm promoting them to my audience. I've helped push a few newbies only to have them disappear from the Internet altogether hurting my word's worth. 

This is more about one guy who was their moving help/handyman during the "Big Move" from Langley house to current office. He was in videos, but since he was hired help, he didn't appear after moving was done. But people kept asking and asking about it. So thats one of the basis. Its also bit about the guy who was part of "Giant Jenga" video on CSF. He wasn't even hired yet, it was kinda his interview or part of it. Having to cut or remove whole video because someone in it hasn't signed agreement to be on camera is too much pain to do.

The moving helper is also one reason why Linus prefers to do any moving, renovations etc. using as much of their own crew as possible. No way of making videos out of them if you have 5 guys asking to be blurred afterwards.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, kenblu24 said:

I think Linus said this was the primary reason in a video or on WAN show a long time ago.

He actually said this fairly recently as well.